The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

This is exactly what we need. But our fans are far far too impatient to see the whole process work out, as it will get worse before it gets better. GH was quite obviously trying to change things and a lot of fans wanted him out after about half a season. Maybe he tried too much too soon, but I still think any manager that walks into Villa Park not getting instant results will be in for a hard time, no matter what's happening behind the scenes. Which is tragic really because IMO, it's the only way to bring relative success again without a huge investment.

I don't want to rehash on GH, but I think you'll find that people had many reasons for not liking GH. Like his attitude at Liverpool, the squad he sent out against Man City in the FA cup, belittling Ireland in the press, overseeing our worst injury crisis in PL times, getting Dunne and Collins offside and even dropping Warnock.

I don't disagree that he was trying to change our style - the fact that our possession percentages generally went up compared to the season before is testament to that - but dismissing fans as simply "being impatient" is wide of the mark.

The Liverpool thing is just bollox, if we were second in the league, nobody would have cared he touched the sodding sign.

Man City, again, who cares?

Ireland is a basket case. McLeish has blamed numerous players for his own shortfalls, including young players.

Injury crisis? He changed a training regime from little more than 5 a side and a four day week to a level expected at a professional sporting institution. Were players swinging the lead? Who knows.

Dunne/Collins/Warnock should have been kicked out of the club for professional misconduct, pure and simple. The message that was sent out by pandering to them was diabolical.

We might have missed an opportunity to be more than a mid table kick and rush team. Who knows?

All the fans want to see is a team going somewhere and I would suggest they will support whoever can implement that.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly what we need. But our fans are far far too impatient to see the whole process work out, as it will get worse before it gets better. GH was quite obviously trying to change things and a lot of fans wanted him out after about half a season. Maybe he tried too much too soon, but I still think any manager that walks into Villa Park not getting instant results will be in for a hard time, no matter what's happening behind the scenes. Which is tragic really because IMO, it's the only way to bring relative success again without a huge investment.

I don't want to rehash on GH, but I think you'll find that people had many reasons for not liking GH. Like his attitude at Liverpool, the squad he sent out against Man City in the FA cup, belittling Ireland in the press, overseeing our worst injury crisis in PL times, getting Dunne and Collins offside and even dropping Warnock.

I don't disagree that he was trying to change our style - the fact that our possession percentages generally went up compared to the season before is testament to that - but dismissing fans as simply "being impatient" is wide of the mark.

The Liverpool thing is just bollox, if we were second in the league, nobody would have cared he touched the sodding sign.

Ireland is a basket case. McLeish has blamed numerous players for his own shortfalls, including young players.

Injury crisis? He changed a training regime from little more than 5 a side and a four day week to a level expected at a professional sporting institution. Were players swinging the lead? Who knows.

Dunne/Collins/Warnock should have been kicked out of the club for professional misconduct, pure and simple. The message that was sent out by pandering to them was diabolical.

We might have missed an opportunity to be more than a mid table kick and rush team. Who knows?

All the fans want to see is a team going somewhere and I would suggest they will support whoever can implement that.

Bang on the money, Agree 100%

Swansea are above us

Norwich are above us

Sunderland defeated Stoke away (it was a cup final for the pro defensive people when we drew 0-0)

Wolves defeated QPR away (it was a cup final for the pro defensive people when we drew 2-2 at HOME)

8 points away from relegation (McLeish is shit in the league at the last third of the season)

We've yet to play top 7 teams in the second half of the season

The people who make excuses for him and actually think he's doing a good job:

rofl.gif

Yawn.

If we beat Newcastle tomorrow we go above Swansea and are a point behind Norwich. It's really pointless comparing league positions right now. Might as well save it for May.

Yawn, yep, we are really punching above our weight.

The worrying thing is that people are now thinking that this is where we belong! The club needs a massive overhaul in the summer, from CEO down and unless that happens we have nothing but mediocrity to look forward to, aspiring to be like Stoke or Fulham.

VillaAlex, I agree with your post. Swansea have taken time to get to where they are, but we need to look at adopting a similar approach as we cannot compete financially. That is why categorically McLeish is not the man for the job, no pedigree of undertaking this type of project.

The problem is any such manager (or regime) would get sacked if the results were poor. Bringing a top-down ethos to the club may take time and this might not exactly be peachy from the start. Really difficult for a Premiership team to get something like that going what with how demanding and impatient fans are nowadays.

In your crusade you failed to read my post and perhaps misunderstood where I am coming from. In case you were wondering, check my sig.

My point was that you can't simply say "fans are impatient" for their dismissal of GH, just as you cannot say we don't want McLeish because "he managed the scum".

GH was far from perfect - even I can admit that.

What the **** did he tell them at half time?

We were on top all first half, on the front foot. So we come out and are sat back defending trying to work on the break, so we need pace on the break he brings on Heskey for the left wing.

What the **** did he tell them? it obviously was not "more of the same"

We were on top all first half, on the front foot. So we come out and are sat back defending trying to work on the break, so we need pace on the break he brings on Heskey for the left wing.

Haha brilliant - best post ever.

Like its that simple to just say 'more of the same' and thats what exactly happens.

Like its that simple to just say 'more of the same' and thats what exactly happens.

Ok, he said sit back and play long ball then.

Better?

Better?

Or you could recognise that there are two teams in a game of football. Its not all about what we do. I thought we played well today and poor defender and poor finishing has cost us.

anyone who cant see that we need 2 new centre halves, a left back and 2 central midfielders is blind.

blame the manager all you want.

poor defending cost us 2 goals today.

A good manager could do better with these players.

He's as bad as the players you rightly criticise. I know what would have been a better cheaper option than hiring this idiot.

Get rid ffsake :(

You can blame individual mistakes all you want but when you send out your team with such a boring negative attitude in a second half and you comew under constant pressure you will always make mistakes and I would argue deserve to lose

Strange how Mcleish gets praise for changing things after half time against QPR but holds no fault for sending a defensive long ball playing team out second half today, considering we had been the better team playing football on the front foot, in Newcastles half and with ball on the ground, it seems strange to me.

Very strange.

Better?

Or you could recognise that there are two teams in a game of football. Its not all about what we do. I thought we played well today and poor defender and poor finishing has cost us.

If you're good enough then football can be about one team.

Was it only poor defending and finishing that cost us today?? Oh is that all?

Maybe our shite manager could work on these things then because they are the most important factors of a football match.

Before you ask here's how he could improve those areas:

Defending: stop picking the same players that consistently make the mistakes that cost us goals.

Finishing: play a system that gets the best out of our forwards. The more chances we create, the more we will score.

Just a couple of thoughts.

anyone who cant see that we need 2 new centre halves, a left back and 2 central midfielders is blind.

blame the manager all you want.

poor defending cost us 2 goals today.

who picks them?

and today yet again the best defender by a country mile and fast becoming my second favourite villa player in the squad, king carlos.

in the first half we were in the game, ireland pinging the ball quickly , nozog not doing too much but still causing them more than enough concern

but the ball was more or less on the floor

then in the 65th minute, operation hoofball was deployed, huge gaping hole in the middle of the park forms due to the new tactics being employed with the substitution of nzog

and then we become shit

i hope ireland was not injured although odd as it sounds i hope he was? because if he is injured then we will go back to shit hoof ball, if he wasnt injured then it goes down as another shit substitution

the man needs to leave at the end of the season, he wont go before then but there is nothing here for him. i would guess most fans dont want him here, it seems the players dont like the style of football they are having to play and the whole place needs some uplifting.

unless carlos is offered a new contract and we get rid of hutton, collins and warnock and get 3 new players in, stop playing clark in the middle when we have players for midfield such as gardener, and tell barry bannan to stop trying to play a bloody hollywood pass each and every bloody time he has the ball, then we may actuall improve.

i dont hold out much hope under the G C

Â