The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people who don't rate McLeish have been consistent with their opinion throughout the entire season.

Where as the people who are currently being pro defensive with McLeish didn't want him here when we picked up bad results/performed badly. Like an on/off switch. At the moment, he's at his honeymoon period again it seems, which is strange considering he picks up a league win every few weeks now. Normally as a Villa fan, a back to back win (at the very minimum) would be more honeymoon worthy. Standards have dropped I guess.

he spent over 33 million pounds that year, more or less what we spent

really?

yep

Scott Dann Coventry £3,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Christian Benitez Santos Laguna £8,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Giovanny Espinoza (mer) Barcelona S C Signed 01 Jul, 2009

Roger Johnson Cardiff £5,000,000 01 Jul, 2009

Lee Bowyer West Ham Free 08 Jul, 2009

Barry Ferguson Rangers £1,000,000 17 Jul, 2009

Gregory Vignal Lens Signed 14 Aug, 2009

Craig Gardner Aston Villa £3,000,000 26 Jan, 2010

Ben Foster Man Utd £6,000,000 18 May, 2010

Nikola Zigic Valencia £6,000,000 26 May, 2010

Enric Valles NAC Breda Signed 01 Jul, 2010

total disclosed £33 million plus of course the undisclosed ontop

they got no incoming money from transfers so total outgoings of at least £33 million

villa on the other hand

Stewart Downing Middlesbro £12,000,000 16 Jul, 2009

Fabian Delph Leeds Signed 04 Aug, 2009

Habib Beye Newcastle Signed 07 Aug, 2009

Stephen Warnock Blackburn Signed 27 Aug, 2009

James Collins West Ham £5,000,000 01 Sep, 2009

Richard Dunne Man City £5,000,000 01 Sep, 2009

£22 million disclosed plus i would guess 15 million un disclosed?

but not forgetting the little matter of £19 million extra incoming from transfers

so actually we spent around £2o million , they spent £13 million or more , more than we did

oooooffffffff

What team were you watching? We were totally shit except for the last two games. And who is GC??

?

well you couldnt have been watching the villa from the sounds of your recollection after we signed darren bent?

lets try the 1st game?

villa 1 man city 0

or maybe the 6 other wins in the league out of the last 16 games?

or the goals? 24 in 16 games

or the 26 points in those 16 games

the football was on the floor controlled and attacking

and we were still playing with players who had insulted gordon cowans and other villa backroom staff, players who were causing disruption as they didnt like the training methods and also no doubt through GH lack of tact when comunicating with the players.

the style of play was there for all to see, a game of keeping the ball, pressing the other side and trying to keep the pace at our level. it didnt work all the time but the method was used all the time becuase it is something GH believed in.

while different to MON's more counter attacking more direct play it split peoples opinions, it was something we hadnt seen really since big ron.

but despite people not agreeing that it was the best way of playing, at least i would have though most would have agreed there looked to actually be a certain style of play, tactics and direction?

i also dont understand defending GC saying he needs to be judged on his time at our club and it is unfare to judge on his past?

well people got their preconceieved ideas of his style of play due to seeing how poor his sides were set up at other clubs, saw his greatest achievment at rangers as getting to the last 16 in champions league despite only winning 2 games? or the league cup which i have already posted who they had to play in each round.

i can also bet that once he did come here, most people would have actually maybe not got 100% behind him but certainly be far less vocal against him if he played any kind of decent football, or even got decent results.

he has done nothing to disprove that he is hit and miss, mid table at best and only if he spents shit loads of money ( £33 million plus at scum for the 9th place).

THAT is why alot of people are still against him

some didnt like MON much but because he got decent results people were not anywhere near as vocal or in the numbers as is the case now.

peoples opinions will only change when his anti football changes and results change from 6 wins in 22 to something which would actually resemble something half decent.

so that tells you how i presume people who dont want him as managers views would change, please, tell me how a supporter of his would change their view of him?

what would it take?

relegation?

Villa were in the relegation zone until the last two games. Coincidence and perfect results for the teams around Villa, saw Villa take a lucky 9th place. Probably the players pulled through when GH was sick to get the results against arsenal and Liverpool.

Winning against Manchester City is nice. Before that, they lost 4-1 to Manchester City in the league with Houllier. Giving up against Manchester City with the mentality 'we will lose anyway' is not nice. Do you remember GH putting out a shit team against Manchester City in the FA cup to save players for the next game? Villa lost 3-0, and lost the next two games with the better players back in the team.

2 Mar, 19:45 Manchester City 3 - 0 Aston Villa FA Cup

5 Mar, 15:00 Bolton Wanderers 3 - 2 Aston Villa Premier League

19 Mar, 15:00 Aston Villa 0 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers Premier League

I believe it is not different from McLeish. One good game, one bad game. Some games were nice under Houllier, others not so nice. He was lucky because he could buy Bent, and had Bent's suppliers under his wing (Young, Downing). McLeish has a worse team to his disposal. Bent's suppliers are Albrighton, Nzogbia. Not so bad, but still a way to go.

So Mcleish all the way over Houllier.

Villa were in the relegation zone until the last two games....Villa take a lucky 9th place....

Where you end up at the end of the season is where you deserve to finish. No luck involved.

Personally I wanted Houllier gone from the end of the Man City away league game (I say "game" but for it to be a game both sides really need to bother turning up), so I'm not saying that to defend him. He was mostly disagreeable rubbish.

With 'Eck I would never in a million years have appointed him, and I'm not overly enamoured with the style of play. I do think, though, that the results the team has got are about par for the course - similar to what most (except the very best) managers would have got, in terms of points total so far, with the squad we have.

I can't see any point in sacking him right now (unless one of the really top managers came knocking begging to work at Villa).

If we're not going to sack him, and we're not about to, then for me personally, it's just a case of supporting the team at the games I go to.

The people who don't rate McLeish have been consistent with their opinion throughout the entire season.

Where as the people who are currently being pro defensive with McLeish didn't want him here when we picked up bad results/performed badly. Like an on/off switch. At the moment, he's at his honeymoon period again it seems, which is strange considering he picks up a league win every few weeks now. Normally as a Villa fan, a back to back win (at the very minimum) would be more honeymoon worthy. Standards have dropped I guess.

I can only assume that you pay no attention to the people writing on the forum or what they are writing.

There is so much wrong with your post, I can't even be bothered to go into it.

Christian Benitez Santos Laguna £8,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Benítez was a loan signing costing around £800k.

So that brings the total down to just over £24m, no?

zigic and foster were 12 million and they came after they finished 9th and rumour is zigic wasnt Eck choice

For comparison, actual financial activity for 2009/2010 season is below, with the following caveats:

• •Figures are rounded to the nearest £00k
    •Any deals without fees (e.g. free transfers/loans) are excluded
    •Where loan deals involve a known fee, figure is included
    •All figures represent initial cost to club only; they do not include potential add-on fees yet to be activated

[table]

[mrow color=blue:86eb8fd0ea]Birmingham City Transfers 09/10[mcol color=blue:86eb8fd0ea]Out[mcol color=blue:86eb8fd0ea]In[mcol color=blue:86eb8fd0ea]Running Spend[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][mcol color=indigo:86eb8fd0ea]Aston Villa Transfers 09/10[mcol color=indigo:86eb8fd0ea]Out[mcol color=indigo:86eb8fd0ea]In[mcol color=indigo:86eb8fd0ea]Running Spend[row]Roger Johnson[col]£5.2m[col]-[col]£5.2m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Fabian Delph[col]£6m[col]-[col]£6m

[row]Scott Dann[col]£3.5m[col]-[col]£8.7m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Stephen Warnock[col]£7.9m[col]-[col]£13.9m

[row]Craig Gardner[col]£3.1m[col]-[col]£11.8m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Richard Dunne[col]£6m[col]-[col]£19.9m

[row]Míchel [col]£2.9m[col]-[col]£14.7m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]James Collins[col]£5m[col]-[col]£24.9m

[row]Barry Ferguson [col]£1.1m[col]-[col]£15.8m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Habib Bèye [col]£2.6m[col]-[col]£27.5m

[row]Jay O'Shea [col]£100k[col]-[col]£15.9m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Stewart Downing[col]£11.4m[col]-[col]£38.9m

[row]Christian Benítez[col]£800k[col]-[col]£16.7m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Zat Knight[col]-[col]£4.1m[col]£34.8m

[row]Joe Hart[col]£1m[col]-[col]£17.7m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Craig Gardner[col]-[col]£3.1m[col]£31.7m

[row]Krystian Pearce [col]-[col]£400k[mcol]£17.3m[col color=black:86eb8fd0ea][col]Gareth Barry[col]-[col]£12.2m[mcol]£19.5m

[/table]

What team were you watching? We were totally shit except for the last two games. And who is GC??

?

well you couldnt have been watching the villa from the sounds of your recollection after we signed darren bent?

lets try the 1st game?

villa 1 man city 0

and we were still playing with players who had insulted gordon cowans and other villa backroom staff, players who were causing disruption as they didnt like the training methods and also no doubt through GH lack of tact when comunicating with the players.

the style of play was there for all to see, a game of keeping the ball, pressing the other side and trying to keep the pace at our level. it didnt work all the time but the method was used all the time becuase it is something GH believed in.

while different to MON's more counter attacking more direct play it split peoples opinions, it was something we hadnt seen really since big ron.

but despite people not agreeing that it was the best way of playing, at least i would have though most would have agreed there looked to actually be a certain style of play, tactics and direction?

i also dont understand defending GC saying he needs to be judged on his time at our club and it is unfare to judge on his past?

well people got their preconceieved ideas of his style of play due to seeing how poor his sides were set up at other clubs, saw his greatest achievment at rangers as getting to the last 16 in champions league despite only winning 2 games? or the league cup which i have already posted who they had to play in each round.

i can also bet that once he did come here, most people would have actually maybe not got 100% behind him but certainly be far less vocal against him if he played any kind of decent football, or even got decent results.

he has done nothing to disprove that he is hit and miss, mid table at best and only if he spents shit loads of money ( £33 million plus at scum for the 9th place).

THAT is why alot of people are still against him

some didnt like MON much but because he got decent results people were not anywhere near as vocal or in the numbers as is the case now.

peoples opinions will only change when his anti football changes and results change from 6 wins in 22 to something which would actually resemble something half decent.

so that tells you how i presume people who dont want him as managers views would change, please, tell me how a supporter of his would change their view of him?

what would it take?

relegation?

Villa were in the relegation zone until the last two games. Coincidence and perfect results for the teams around Villa, saw Villa take a lucky 9th place. Probably the players pulled through when GH was sick to get the results against arsenal and Liverpool.

Winning against Manchester City is nice. Before that, they lost 4-1 to Manchester City in the league with Houllier. Giving up against Manchester City with the mentality 'we will lose anyway' is not nice. Do you remember GH putting out a shit team against Manchester City in the FA cup to save players for the next game? Villa lost 3-0, and lost the next two games with the better players back in the team.

2 Mar, 19:45 Manchester City 3 - 0 Aston Villa FA Cup

5 Mar, 15:00 Bolton Wanderers 3 - 2 Aston Villa Premier League

19 Mar, 15:00 Aston Villa 0 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers Premier League

I believe it is not different from McLeish. One good game, one bad game. Some games were nice under Houllier, others not so nice. He was lucky because he could buy Bent, and had Bent's suppliers under his wing (Young, Downing). McLeish has a worse team to his disposal. Bent's suppliers are Albrighton, Nzogbia. Not so bad, but still a way to go.

wrong, villa were 14th with 2 games left, they were NOT in the relegation zone, as i say, i dont know what team you may have been watching but it sure couldnt have been villa if the team you were watching was in the relegation zone then.

as i said, what would it take for a CG supporter to change THEIR opinion of him? i notice you didnt answer.

For comparison, actual financial activity for 2009/2010 season is below, with the following caveats:

• •Figures are rounded to the nearest £00k
    •Any deals without fees (e.g. free transfers/loans) are excluded
    •Where loan deals involve a known fee, figure is included
    •All figures represent initial cost to club only; they do not include potential add-on fees yet to be activated

[table]

[mrow color=blue:0b60cde9b9]Birmingham City Transfers 09/10[mcol color=blue:0b60cde9b9]In[mcol color=blue:0b60cde9b9]Out[mcol color=blue:0b60cde9b9]Running Spend[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][mcol color=indigo:0b60cde9b9]Aston Villa Transfers 09/10[mcol color=indigo:0b60cde9b9]In[mcol color=indigo:0b60cde9b9]Out[mcol color=indigo:0b60cde9b9]Running Spend[row]Roger Johnson[col]£5.2m[col]-[col]£5.2m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Fabian Delph[col]£6m[col]-[col]£6m

[row]Scott Dann[col]£3.5m[col]-[col]£8.7m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Stephen Warnock[col]£7.9m[col]-[col]£13.9m

[row]Craig Gardner[col]£3.1m[col]-[col]£11.8m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Richard Dunne[col]£6m[col]-[col]£19.9m

[row]Míchel [col]£2.9m[col]-[col]£14.7m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]James Collins[col]£5m[col]-[col]£24.9m

[row]Barry Ferguson [col]£1.1m[col]-[col]£15.8m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Habib Bèye [col]£2.6m[col]-[col]£27.5m

[row]Jay O'Shea [col]£100k[col]-[col]£15.9m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Stewart Downing[col]£11.4m[col]-[col]£38.9m

[row]Christian Benítez[col]£800k[col]-[col]£16.7m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Zat Knight[col]-[col]£4.1m[col]£34.8m

[row]Joe Hart[col]£1m[col]-[col]£17.7m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Craig Gardner[col]-[col]£3.1m[col]£31.7m

[row]Krystian Pearce [col]-[col]£400k[mcol]£17.3m[col color=black:0b60cde9b9][col]Gareth Barry[col]-[col]£12.2m[mcol]£19.5m

[/table]

cheer for that i took the figures from soccerbase.com who are normally wuite accurate, i then looked up benitez and saw the scum claimed he was their record signing, penning a 3 year deal but then read that they then went back on the agreement and refused to pay the money and would then only agree to pay £1 million to borrow the player.

typical scummers, lie about somthing

?

lets try the 1st game?

villa 1 man city 0

What about the Wigan game? That came towards the end of the season when we were apparently seeing this improvement. The football in that game was equally as boring and terrible as any game we've seen this season with the exception of Spurs away, yes we followed it up with two excellent wins but please dont pretend everything was great after the signing of Bent.

Oh and that City game was about as back to the wall as it gets nothing to do with some great passing ethos.

cheer for that i took the figures from soccerbase.com who are normally wuite accurate, i then looked up benitez and saw the scum claimed he was their record signing, penning a 3 year deal but then read that they then went back on the agreement and refused to pay the money and would then only agree to pay £1 million to borrow the player.

typical scummers, lie about somthing

He was meant to be, ironically enough. That was the amount that was originally agreed between the clubs when they were negotiating for a permanent transfer, but his medical went so badly that they opted for the more cautious approach of a loan.

?

lets try the 1st game?

villa 1 man city 0

What about the Wigan game? That came towards the end of the season when we were apparently seeing this improvement. The football in that game was equally as boring and terrible as any game we've seen this season with the exception of Spurs away, yes we followed it up with two excellent wins but please dont pretend everything was great after the signing of Bent.

Oh and that City game was about as back to the wall as it gets nothing to do with some great passing ethos.

? way to try and put words into my mouth which were not said

did i say everything was great? why no i didnt,

did i say he continued with the same style of play he had been using since coming to the club and once he had got some of his own players in, things got better and that it didnt work all the time ?

why yes i did

i guess that is the best you can come up with to defend your great leader?

hahahahaha

Â