The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some figures for SHA's attendance whilst AM was in charge, he started in 2007, just put 2006 in to show the trend.

2011 25.462

2010 25.246

2009 19.081

2008 26.181

2007 22.274

2006 27.392

The attendance trend seems to be the same as the Team. Up and down like a yo yo so no shock there.

Remember that SHA's support is even more fickle than ours.

Mind you, they are a lot less delusional :winkold:

Let's face it; He was dead on arrival. There is definately huge question marks on his ability as a PL manager, but with his history (both in terms of a shabby track-record and in terms of his last job) he never really had any chance no matter what. The really frightening part is that a case can be made that noone else wanted the job - at least the ones being approached. I can understand why; Becoming manager of Villa these days is not a good career move as the risk of failing is enormous. So, the alternative for the board could have been no alternative at all, or taking a chance on a guy from the lower divisions or abroad. I believe the board did a big mistake in requiring "PL experience", and that's their fault. Appointing a man, who I believe is honest and hard working despite of his shortcomings, that never had any chance of succeeding was just plain stupid and clearly also the board's responsibility. Now we have to live with this for a while, and in the meantime the club is fast becoming irrelevant and totally disconencted with the most important thing - its fans.

Everytime i see the "no one else wanted the job" bull i cry a bit inside.

Here are some figures for SHA's attendance whilst AM was in charge, he started in 2007, just put 2006 in to show the trend.

2011 25.462

2010 25.246

2009 19.081

2008 26.181

2007 22.274

2006 27.392

The attendance trend seems to be the same as the Team. Up and down like a yo yo so no shock there.

A year ago I would've agree with you about us being delusional. Now I'm not so sure.

2011 25.462

2010 25.246

2009 19.081

2008 26.181

2007 22.274

2006 27.392

Your love for Lerner has lowered your expectations. That doesn't make the rest of us delusional.

2011 25.462

2010 25.246

2009 19.081

2008 26.181

2007 22.274

2006 27.392

Your love for Lerner has lowered your expectations. That doesn't make the rest of us delusional.

Another strange perception BJ10.

Because I don't join in with he slagging off, and because I don't necessarily believe that a change of ownership would be a good thing, I have a love for Mr Lerner?:shock:

I don't think so. Love is blind, with all the MON freaks on here being testimony to that :winkold:

Will be interesting to see what happens if we lose today.

The FA Cup can be Eck's big chance of making a turnaround in fan perception. If he can get to a final (yeah, pretty optimistic), then maybe people will turn again.

I have decided to give Eck the whole season before judging him. I had that idea about Houllier too, and I was pretty positive after the Blackburn victory where it looked like we had turned the corner. But then came the City match in the FA cup with a ridiculous team and stupid comments about that City were way too good for us. I lost my patience then.

Though Eck has not done or said anything that is disrespectful towards Aston Villa or our fans, so I will probably give Eck the whole season.

Ive been following this thread now for a good 2 months so i cant see how anyone will agree with this post looking at the stick mcleish has got over his time in charge

Mcleish was doomed from the start as villa manager unless he won all of our first 7 games of the season which everyone deemed as "easy" fixtures. Apart from now in the premier league there is 6ish good teams and then the rest are fighting between themselves. Us bieng one of these average teams.

As soon as mcleish had played a few games everyone stuck with the stereotype of him bieng a defensive minded manager.

I can see that he is focused on building a solid defence but i cannot see how people call him defensive. picking nzog gabi bent and ireland in my eyes is no way defensive, and people can say its his tactics but he is not controlling these players whilst on the pitch and they are all attack minded so he cannot surely make them be defensive themselves.

Then when they perform badly going forward the hotle end calls for "super marc albrighton" who if you ask me has 1 good game in 10, and his crossing of the ball is mediocre.

I just think that no other manager would have done any better than mcleish, people say they dont want him cause he got relegated, but they want martinez? the man who is on the way to getting wigan relegated?

Our real problem is the fact that instead of buying 4 - 5 quality 10 - 20m pound players we are now stuck with many average unused players who we have now got to get rid of. There is no way people can question randys commitment to this club, he just backed the wrong man.

Not saying I am a huge mcleish fan but there is not anyone who would have done much better with the side we have, we just have to hope that in the coming seaons we can rebuild again.

anybody agree?

Ive been following this thread now for a good 2 months so i cant see how anyone will agree with this post looking at the stick mcleish has got over his time in charge

Mcleish was doomed from the start as villa manager unless he won all of our first 7 games of the season which everyone deemed as "easy" fixtures. Apart from now in the premier league there is 6ish good teams and then the rest are fighting between themselves. Us bieng one of these average teams.

As soon as mcleish had played a few games everyone stuck with the stereotype of him bieng a defensive minded manager.

I can see that he is focused on building a solid defence but i cannot see how people call him defensive. picking nzog gabi bent and ireland in my eyes is no way defensive, and people can say its his tactics but he is not controlling these players whilst on the pitch and they are all attack minded so he cannot surely make them be defensive themselves.

Then when they perform badly going forward the hotle end calls for "super marc albrighton" who if you ask me has 1 good game in 10, and his crossing of the ball is mediocre.

I just think that no other manager would have done any better than mcleish, people say they dont want him cause he got relegated, but they want martinez? the man who is on the way to getting wigan relegated?

Our real problem is the fact that instead of buying 4 - 5 quality 10 - 20m pound players we are now stuck with many average unused players who we have now got to get rid of. There is no way people can question randys commitment to this club, he just backed the wrong man.

Not saying I am a huge mcleish fan but there is not anyone who would have done much better with the side we have, we just have to hope that in the coming seaons we can rebuild again.

anybody agree?

Yep. But you're in the wrong place for any reasonable discussion.

I really don't by this "no other manager would have done better" stuff. As far as results go, it's proven that if you have a good manager you get good results. We have a better squad than Swansea, Everton, Norwich, Sunderland and Stoke yet they're all above us?

With regards to performances, almost ANY manager would be able to do better. This season has already been one of the worst if not the worst for bad performances. There have already been four really really bad performances that are up there with the worst I've ever seen.

anybody agree?

Nice first post, I agree with about 90% of what you are saying, though I don't agree with your assessment of Marc Albrighton, in the last year or so he's been too in and out of the team to get any form together, both Houllier and McLeish have used him sparingly in that period, when he was putting a run of games together he looked good, he needs to be playing more but I also think it's hard for any manager to do that when the pressure is on and the player isn't pulling up trees.

anybody agree?

I dont have an issue with Mcleish being defensive, its suits our style and the players we have. One of my main issues was you cant remain defensive when you are chasing a game. Look at the United and Spurs games, we went behind and it seemed like Mcleish would rather not get a spanking than try and get back into the game. That I have a problem with.

I also dislike some of the things he says, earlier in the season he talked about no player being to big and dropping players if they are incapable of defending set pieces. How many have we conceded since then? how many changes have we seen to our back 4?

Before the Liverpool game I remember seeing his interview, It went along the lines of, "We'll give it our best, but we are playing Liverpool remember". How does that translate to the players.

anybody agree?

I dont have an issue with Mcleish being defensive, its suits our style and the players we have. One of my main issues was you cant remain defensive when you are chasing a game. Look at the United and Spurs games, we went behind and it seemed like Mcleish would rather not get a spanking than try and get back into the game. That I have a problem with.

I also dislike some of the things he says, earlier in the season he talked about no player being to big and dropping players if they are incapable of defending set pieces. How many have we conceded since then? how many changes have we seen to our back 4?

Before the Liverpool game I remember seeing his interview, It went along the lines of, "We'll give it our best, but we are playing Liverpool remember". How does that translate to the players.

I agree with all this but the first part. Since when does being defensive suit the players we have? It's the opposite. We have great attacking players but a poor defence.

If he was doomed from the start, he has done himself no favours at all with the lack of passion on the pitch, the negativity, lack of shots on target, lack of attacking, strange substitutions and use of players etc etc.

Mcleish seems to think he can manage Aston Villa like he did Birmingham City.

As a fanbase our expectations are completely different.

Mcleish out.

Stated this way back in the tread but speaking for myself, my expectations have now changed and are more in line with Birmingham fans. I just want us to stay in the Premiership this season and that for me with a bunch of clowns running our club, will be success!

Â