The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hughes wants a big budget. he left fulham due to lack of ambition
Did he really though? It was because the Villa job became available wasn't it? I doubt he'd join Fulham in the first place if he was after a big budget.

Its looks obvious to me the club wanted to hire a yes man.

Someone who is just "happy to be here" and lets face it bet McWank still cannot believe his luck!

Someone whod be willing to not to rock the boat when club flogs everyone like they did in summer.

Look at who we were looking at during our ridiculous managerial search - Martinez , McLaren , McLeish

Hughes was deliberately overlooked because he'd be more likely to be more difficult for the board , same with Benitez.

he went on a rant last week about leaving Fulham as they didnt match his ambitions

Yes but he almost certainly resigned form Fulham becuase the Villa job was available.

I do love a VT finger in the air presumption that comes across as near fact.

Yes but he almost certainly resigned form Fulham becuase the Villa job was available.

well he is a bit of an idiot if he quit Fulham thinking he would walk into VP without contact with anybody at teh club

I dont think McCleish is doing too badly all things considered, i just think he needs more time.

There isnt a manager on the planet who can take over a team who have just lost their 2 best players and improve them instantly without major investment back into the squad.

I dont think McCleish is doing too badly all things considered, i just think he needs more time.

I think almost everything has been very poor with McLeish. Look at the teams we have played against, and look at the next teams we have before Christmas. We have now lost two games on the trot before a draw after leading twice, we went out of the cup almost willingly and we are playing incredibly dire. We are not good at the back, we score no goals, we have no attacking pattern and we don't really know who is our preferred midfielders. What we have is a bunch of capable players, thus meaning we are always able to fork out even displays against many sides. But as we saw, we can easily lose out to WBA at home.

So taking things into consideration, I would say McLeish has started out exactly as I expected. Quite poor. Our fans are abandoning the games already, revenue will go down and our owner is not even coming to the games. He is not "getting the best" out of players like N'Zogbia and Bent, our best attacking players. We are letting in set-pieces, which uses to be the strong side for such a defensive manager. And look at our next games, we are going to get very few points over the next ten games. We are sure to fork out a few points and draws, but winning with our football is hard and let alone against Liverpool, Stoke, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham. I say; be very afraid! If we don't win against Norwich I think we are going to be around 17th come January.

There isnt a manager on the planet who can take over a team who have just lost their 2 best players and improve them instantly without major investment back into the squad.

Agreed Stu, it doesnt help when you 20-odd million pound striker cant even finish his breakfast...

We need to be aiming for better managers than McLeish. Championship or relegation threatened Premier League sides* are his level

* - No, we're not a relegation threatened side before you say it.

Like who? Who do you think would come here?

This man...But moving quickly by the board would be vital. No compensation to pay any club and he is ready..We Just need to pay McLeish off.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2011/09/16/2667869/if-inter-call-me-of-course-i-will-go-former-atletico-madrid-boss-

We need to be aiming for better managers than McLeish. Championship or relegation threatened Premier League sides* are his level

* - No, we're not a relegation threatened side before you say it.

Like who? Who do you think would come here?

This man...But moving quickly by the board would be vital. No compensation to pay any club and he is ready..We Just need to pay McLeish off.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2011/09/16/2667869/if-inter-call-me-of-course-i-will-go-former-atletico-madrid-boss-

The right manager for Aston Villa will be at the game the weekend and i would pull out all the stops to get him.

So what? McLeish was gonna be sacked from Blues too, only they couldnt afford it.

Sven has just been sacked too, and only yesterday you were saying how great he is.

but 3 managerial job in a row. That is woeful record.

I really don't know about McLeish. It's annoying because he seems like a decent guy and I want him to succeed but his style of football and motivational skills are clearly crap.

The most annoying thing is that we paid £3m in compo for him and have given him a contract worth £9m. This is **** ridiculous. What exactly has he proved? He plays crap football, got his last club relegated due to said shit style of football, but luckily won the League Cup because Arsenal handed it to them on a plate.

His appointment still causes so many issues amongst fans it is not going to be pretty come Xmas when we're languishing near the bottom of the league.

2 wins, 6 draws & 2 defeats is awful when you consider we've played Wigan, Blackburn, Newcastle, Wolves & West Brom at home during the start of the season and played away against poor Fulham, Sunderland & QPR sides.

We will be down there at the end of the season and things will only get worse with AMC in charge.

We could have easily got Lambert for the compensation & salary package AMC is on.

**** it we should just take a risk and appoint Lee Clark. :-)

I think a better manager would be doing alot better in the league than McLeish; he would be able to

a) attract a better class of player

B) have retained the services of Downing as Downing would have wanted to stay.

c) tactically be more astute.

d) be able to motivate the players better

and we wouldn’t have lost to Bolton.

But its all a moot point, as we couldn’t get a better manager because RL & PF didn’t have a clue.

My own take on McLeish is that he's a decent bloke and was brought into do a specific job, to baton down the hatches for at least this season.

I think that most would agree that the wage to revenue ratio was to high, and McLeish was to work within limited means to balance that ratio. I would speculate that this is a "holding" season. Where the aims would be to remain in the premier league; blood some of the youngster and to assess the senior pros. Depressing in the short term! But come the summer a number of high wage earners will be out of contract (Heskey, Petrov, Baye to name 3 off the top of my head) and provides an opportunity for the squad to be refreshed based on what McLeish has seen over the season. This may provide the opportunity for McLeish to mould the team in his 'image' and play a better brand of football.

Now I don't get to see villa nearly as much as either I would like to or the majority on VT do, so perhaps I don't have such insight as most on here or am being naive, but that how I see it.

One thing that bugs me is when people go on about McLeish getting the blues relegated. Whilst he was the manger in charge the statement is disingenuous when looking at some of the complementary facts. Firstly, do you expect any manager to succeed with either of the boards that he's worked for? Secondly, in his first season he joined mid season, so only had limited opportunity to assess the squad and then change it in the January transfer window. Now I'm sure someone will produce stats for that season about how many points they won pre-McLeish and under his management. My point is that he can't be solely to blame for that relegation.

The 2nd relegation can be put down to the cup run, and the fact that those extra games meant the cornerstones of their defence (dann & johnston) missed a significant number games after the Carling cup final. Again some culpability on McLeish but not all his fault.

So what am I saying, perhaps that it's too early to make a complete and absolute judgement on McLeish's reign, I think that he needs another 12 months to really understand what he's going to bring to the Villa.

My one plea is that we all have a common cause, the Villa. Could we try to stop all the squabbling and in fighting and get behind OUR club.

Â