Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

We really should be looking at three points from this one. I think Bannan deserves a start and I fancy Gabby, Bent and N'Zogbia against their back line. Hopefully we will get a chance to see a bit of what Jenas can do as well.

GK Given

RB Hutton

CB Dunne

CB Collins

LB Warnock

CM Petrov ©

CM Delph

CM Bannan

RW N'Zogbia

LW Gabby

CF Bent

Subs: Guzan, Clark, Ireland, Albrighton, Heskey, Herd, Delfouneso

Hopefully we will get a chance to see a bit of what Jenas can do as well.

Scrap that.

Alex McLeish has confirmed that Jermaine Jenas is likely to have to wait a further two weeks before he could make his Aston Villa debut.

The midfielder, who is on a season-long loan at the club from Tottenham, missed the thrilling 2-2 draw against Everton on Saturday after getting injured in training before even kicking a ball competitively.

Jenas, 28, wrecked his chances of making his debut at Goodison Park after pulling up in training with a thigh strain on Friday.

And McLeish revealed his injury was as a result of his over-exuberance on the Bodymoor Heath training pitches.

Strain

"He got a kicking strain and there was no way we were risking him," McLeish told the Sunday Mercury. "I think he was a bit over-zealous. He really pushed himself in training.

"He may have even felt it a couple of days ago but decided to come and train such was his keenness to be involved.

"You can't knock a player for that. I hope it doesn't set him back too long and he'll be back with us within a couple of weeks because we need that competition in the centre."

The Villa boss also confirmed the club's medical staff will check on the hamstring injury suffered by striker Emile Heskey during the first half of the clash on Merseyside.

"I don't know how serious again, but it will be scanned on Monday," added McLeish. "It's disappointing because he's been involved in every game.

"He's been really strong and unbelievably you have a two-week break and you think the fatigue would be gone and the players would have recovered and he does his 'hammy', but that happens in football."

Link - Sky Sports

Jenas has always been injury-prone....not a good start to his loan spell at Villa :cry:

We need to pick up points off the Barcodes because the signs are that once we start meeting the better teams, we're gonna struggle.

I think I'd drop Hutton for Herd, N'Zogbia for Albrighton, and Delph for Ireland - I'm not sure that any of those three deserve to start based on performances so far.

Up The Villa

I agree, we need to see 3 points from this game. It won't be easy and I see a tight game. As fantram says we need the points on the board, I can see us having a bad couple of months throughout the winter, where we will be glad of the points if we can pick them up here. I will take any kind of win for now, good performance would be nice but 3 points is the first thing to worry about.

I disagree about dropping Hutton, N'Zogbia and Delph though. They all need game time for various reasons. Hutton and Delph need to get fitness, form and confidence from playing regularly. N'Zogbia also requires the fore mentioned, but is also playing a former team which can bring out the best in a player, so for that reason I'd keep him in for now. Albrighton, or Bannan will come in for the injured Heskey, this being the only change I can see happening barring further injuries in training.

We really should be looking at three points from this one. I think Bannan deserves a start and I fancy Gabby, Bent and N'Zogbia against their back line. Hopefully we will get a chance to see a bit of what Jenas can do as well.

GK Given

RB Hutton

CB Dunne

CB Collins

LB Warnock

CM Petrov ©

CM Delph

CM Bannan

RW N'Zogbia

LW Gabby

CF Bent

Subs: Guzan, Clark, Ireland, Albrighton, Heskey, Herd, Delfouneso

I'd play this side, and for once I actually think McLeish will play this side too.

The only actual decision to be made is that of Heskey's replacement... Bannan or Albrighton.

Ireland may start to feature more, but he wont be starting.

-----------------------------Given

Hutton-----------Collins----------Dunne-----------Warnock

----------------------------Petrov

--------------Bannan---------------Ireland

Zoggy---------------------Bent----------------------Gabby

I'd like to see something like the above or this.

-----------------------------Given

----------------------------Petrov

--------------Bannan---------------Ireland

Zoggy---------------------Bent----------------------Gabby

I'd like to see something like the above or this.

I would have the same team apart from Nzogbia, Id give Allbrighton a run out as I dont think Nzogbia deserves to start, he has been very very poor so far this season. Shame Jenas is out for two weeks but we should give Bannan a start as he played well for Scotland and Delph has added little or nothing in the midfiled so far

----------------------------Given-----------------------------

----------------------------Petrov-----------------------------

----------------Bannan---------------Ireland-------------------

Allbrighton----------------Bent------------------------Gabby

We need all 3 points from this one. There was a time not so long ago that we would expect the 3 points at home against a team that are going to end the season bottom half. We now hope for the 3 points but we are hard to beat away and now need to become hard to get a point from at home. I think we will maintain our unbeaten start and hope it will be with a win. :winkold: 1-0 or at best 2-0 for me.

-----------Bent----------Agbonlahor-----------

--N'Zogbia-----------------------Albrighton---

-------------Delph----Petrov-------------------

--Warnock--Dunne--Collins----Hutton--------

--------------------Given------------------------

1-0 :)

Newcastle were pretty poor tonight so I see us edging this one.

Agree. They are as toothless in midfield as us without Barton. If we can hit the ground running we'll be alright, but if we struggle to create much first half we may be in for a long day.

The positive thing is that with Heskey out, a more creative player like Bannan or Albrighton has to play, although I suspect we may see Ireland's first start.

Newcastle will definitely come to Villa park looking to shut up shop, so I think it would be worth gambling with the midfield.

---------------Given----------------

Hutton--Collins--Dunne- Warnock

----------Petrov---Bannan---------

Albrighton-----Nzogbia-----Gabby

---------------Bent------------------

Is how I would set us up.

Is someone going to start another "Race for Fourth" thread if we win this?

After all, we WILL be fourth for at least a day if we win and Wolves lose or draw against QPR. Then if Stoke lose or draw at Sunderland and Liverpool lose or draw at Spurs on Sunday, we'll stay fourth for at least a week!

I haven't seen anything to suggest we'd be likely to stay in the top four for very long, but it would be nice while it lasted...

Assuming Heskey and Jenas are out.

............................Given............................

Hutton.........Collins......Dunne......Warnock

Albrighton...Petrov.......Delph......N'Zog.....

.....|.............Gabby............................|.......

....V.................^...........Bent.............V........

1-0 (Bent)

spelling edit.

Meh, not looking forward to this fixture. Their fans haven't got much time for us, plus after watching them last night we should clearly win - they were pretty crap, and I can therefore (logically of course) see us losing.

I hope we do them. After all, the result shouldn't matter to the Geordies as they're the bestest fans in the world like.