• Petrov
    • Delph
    • N'Zogbia
    • Collins
    • Dunne
    • Warnock
    • Hutton
    • Given

Say what you like about McLeish but his teams have a good habit of getting points from games where they don't deserve any. Resilience, they call it, and we used to cherish that about Martin O'Neill's Villa team. Hopefully it might be back.

He can spot a goalkeeper too, as proved two seasons running at Small Heath, and again now with Shay Given looking an absolute steal at £3.5m He's good at building defences and whilst Alan Hutton had a couple of shaky moments, Richard Dunne is looking like the player we all laughed at Man City for selling to us a couple of years ago.

Gabby is another player with a knack. That knack is scoring vital goals, often late in the game, often away from home. He looked really threatening attacking through the middle today, when he finally went there. Bannan, too, seized his chance to impress although at times the size difference between himself and the enormous Everton midfield was too much for him.

Lots to be concerned about. We lacked a certain amount of fight and cohesion, and N'Zogbia is still struggling to settle in. Bent was clearly playing on a cortisone injection, too. Either that or Jagielka and Distin were secretly swapped for Bolt and Powell before kick off.

A point we didn't deserve but one we can be happy to have won. And probably not the last time we'll say that this season.

Weird game. Everton shouldve buried it by half time, but the first 20mins in the second up to Delphs stupid foul, we were good.

Good:

Dunne, Given were immense. Bannan good but so weak defensively. Great Albrighton cross, Ireland actually gave it a go for 10mins and good to see Gabby scoring again. Brilliant goal by Petrov!

Poor:

Hutton. Wtf was that? Delph for that stupid, stupid foul but otherwise he was not poor imo. Warnock is still crap, Collins too weak for a player his size and NZogbia looks like a flop already. Bent is lacking service but his poor first touch isnt helping and neither are those stupid runs where he is 99% offside.

Oh, and ref was crap. For both sides

Crap. Once again more interested in not losing than winning. Given had the ball to take a GK with 1 minute to go and no-one is pushing up into the Everton area looking to win the game. Pathetic.

We had been played off the park though !!!- under circs you keep what you have.

looked like so many games of the last 5 years- on the back foot, incapable of keeping and passing the ball, few chances, last ditch defending, yet with some quality moments from our better players we sneak a result.

we lack physical presence in midfield. too many times everton players would run right through, and when we are going forward we run out of ideas without anyone who can show some initiative and take on someone. hopefully jenas can help

dunne held the defence together today. collins and warnock are still poor players and hutton had a woeful debut. i saw collins manage to miss a teamate 5 yards away and pass it straight to an everton player, i saw warnock hook a straightforward clearance behind him into our area and setup cahill for a chance. plenty of other examples of their pathetic play as well. sooner we can replace these 2 clowns the better.

We need to use our wide players WIDE. If we use Gabby and N'Zgobia wide then we are going to create more space. At the moment we just try and ram through the middle which we can't do and dont have the players to do.

In all fairness I thought Everton played really well and although we were dire first half I thought we picked it up slightly second half.

Still unbeaten!! :D

Crap. Once again more interested in not losing than winning. Given had the ball to take a GK with 1 minute to go and no-one is pushing up into the Everton area looking to win the game. Pathetic.

We had been played off the park though !!!- under circs you keep what you have.

:D Exactly, we were lucky to get a point. We take that and run :oops:

Say what you like about McLeish but his teams have a good habit of getting points from games where they don't deserve any. Resilience, they call it, and we used to cherish that about Martin O'Neill's Villa team. Hopefully it might be back.

He can spot a goalkeeper too, as proved two seasons running at Small Heath, and again now with Shay Given looking an absolute steal at £3.5m He's good at building defences and whilst Alan Hutton had a couple of shaky moments, Richard Dunne is looking like the player we all laughed at Man City for selling to us a couple of years ago.

Gabby is another player with a knack. That knack is scoring vital goals, often late in the game, often away from home. He looked really threatening attacking through the middle today, when he finally went there. Bannan, too, seized his chance to impress although at times the size difference between himself and the enormous Everton midfield was too much for him.

Lots to be concerned about. We lacked a certain amount of fight and cohesion, and N'Zogbia is still struggling to settle in. Bent was clearly playing on a cortisone injection, too. Either that or Jagielka and Distin were secretly swapped for Bolt and Powell before kick off.

A point we didn't deserve but one we can be happy to have won. And probably not the last time we'll say that this season.

We watched the same game then Rob. Cracking summary that.

I said before the game I'd settle for a point. They are always up for games against us, Cahill might not be recognised as a forward but he plays better there than anywhere else for them.

MoM: Dunne for me.

Rode our luck, Everton were the better team and had the greater possession, but two two great goals and we come away with a great point - and one which I would've been happy to settle for beforehand.

I know it's the same scoreline as in this fixture last year, but it could easily be viewed in a different light. Back in April, Everton's season was drawing to a comfortable close and we got two goals out of very little to put ourselves in front. We couldn't hold out for the win but it was a decent result all the same. Everton HAD to come out and take the game to us today after their dismal start to the season and they put us under a lot of pressure, going in front twice. I don't think we would've clawed our way back on two occasions last season under Houllier so hopefully the fact that we have done so today - whilst never really putting together any prolonged spells of pressure or moving the ball fluidly - is a sign that the team in mentally and physically getting stronger under McLeish (props also to the manager for making the changes he did). Like others have said, there seems like there is a lot of work to be done in order to get the team creating more (maybe Jenas will add a little more composure in vital areas in this regard), but this is a good result.

Great goal from Stan, and outstanding work from Gabby both in the build-up to his goal and the finish - a classic striker's goal. Well done to Marc Albrighton for also putting in probably the best cross we've seen from a Villa player this season.

Really dismal performance. A draw was daylight robbery. Without sounding too melodramatic, it feels like we're on the edge of a precipice at the moment and some serious thought needs to go into how we can avoid performances like this in future, because if we're depending on Petrov to save us points with his once-every-few-seasons strikes, we're stuffed. It was a beauty though.

Dunne was my MOTM for getting in a few good blocks and generally looking solid, but really all you had to do to be our MOTM was not be utterly shite, and most of the team didn't manage it. I'd be tempted to give it to super Marc, except it feels a bit cheap for getting in one great delivery.

Delph had a nightmare that needs no elaboration. Hutton was shambolic. Zog was uninspiring. Bannan was trying but was muscled into anonymity for the most part. Bent had a shocker - bad service doesn't excuse constantly being offside or in terrible positions that no pass could unlock. Gabby didn't seem to show up until he scored. 'Mediocre' flatters the rest apart from Given and Dunne who, like I say, generally looked solid.

Â