Houllier or Mcleish

Delphinho123

Houllier or McLeish?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Houllier or McLeish?

• McLeish
    • Houllier

Houllier left us in the shit and claimed compensation too, tbh.

Houllier was in effect sacked by Lerner and thus received a severance package

Exactly, he was forced out, which is why he got the compo. Just like MON.

How was MON 'forced out'??? Just because he was told to cut the wage bill, it hardly amounts to being forced out!

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, that Liverpool performance by Houllier will forever taint him for many. We never got that kind of stuff from MON who said all the right things and made all the right noises....

Yeah, imagine the type of horse shit he was telling the squad, if we go on his Liverpool AND Man City performances.

Oneil wanted to be at the club, Houllier gave everyone, including the players, the impression he was only there for the Money, whilst using us a stepping stone back into the English Game.

And why did Martin walk?

And the reason for that has not changed.

Oneil wanted to be at the club, Houllier gave everyone, including the players, the impression he was only there for the Money, whilst using us a stepping stone back into the English Game.

And why did Martin walk?

Houllier didn't give me the impression he was only there for the money (I severely doubt he needed it), and as for using us as a stepping stone, at his age and with his track record? I hardly think Houllier, after managing the clubs he has and with the success he has had would use Aston Villa as a stepping stone. What would he be stepping towards exactly anyway?

As for why O'Neill went, well frankly I don't think anyone is privy to the truth, it's just pure speculation, but for me personally it strongly points towards Randy et al telling him that he can't spend until he addresses the wage bill, which is fair to me.

O'Neill had put far too many average players on lucrative and long contracts. Yes, Randy and the board are to blame too since they gave him licence to do that. I am in no way saying they are innocent, they have a lot to answer for but they have also done a lot for this club during their time here so I won't write them off just yet.

Regarding Houllier or McCleish? I thought Houllier might have changed us into a team who could challenge again but he made changes too soon and he was naive. McCleish wants to be here and took on a huge challenge whilst facing the backlash from both Villa and Blues fans and for that he gains my respect. Time will tell whether or not he has a positive influence on the team but the players seem to be a lot happier and our defence has gotten a lot better. I've been happy with the signings so far too. We will have to wait and see if he does the business.

I've known all along that Houllier was the cause of the problems at the club last year.

Is it any co-incidence that we're not hearing of any indiscipline from Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Ireland now that Houllier is gone?

Everyone was too quick to believe Houllier in thinking that these players were troublemakers.

It was clear to see that Houllier was trying to force them out of the club.

Same thing happened with Carew, Beye and Davies.

Houllier had no respect for those players.

I'm glad he's gone.

I've known all along that Houllier was the cause of the problems at the club last year.

Is it any co-incidence that we're not hearing of any indiscipline from Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Ireland now that Houllier is gone?

Everyone was too quick to believe Houllier in thinking that these players were troublemakers.

It was clear to see that Houllier was trying to force them out of the club.

Same thing happened with Carew, Beye and Davies.

Houllier had no respect for those players.

I'm glad he's gone.

It ran deeper than that, even involving the coaching staff, and i have that from two prominent villains :winkold:

I dare say, others on here have heard similar.

MON that gets immortalised.
I still don't understand this. He **** us over big time and did a shit job with the resources he had. You'd think after all that money we'd have been able to achieve a little better than 6th place. We didn't do badly, but as I said, should've done a lot better with the money.

MON that gets immortalised.
I still don't understand this. He **** us over big time and did a shit job with the resources he had. You'd think after all that money we'd have been able to achieve a little better than 6th place. We didn't do badly, but as I said, should've done a lot better with the money.

Best thing you could say about MoN, is that he is a complex and weird person. His signings sometimes reflected that :lol:

the crowning dog turd of his tenure came when he effectively jizzed all over liverpool and the now infamous Livergate scandal, where he touched the Anfield sign on the way to the dug out, and then ignored the Villa fans at the final whistle, preferring instead to applaud his beloved scouse fans..

I understand that people were hacked off about this, I was too.

But still, we need to look beyond these things, right?

If I could ask you jon, as an apparently avowed opponent of the GH regime, to try and find two positives from his reign, what would they be?

the crowning dog turd of his tenure came when he effectively jizzed all over liverpool and the now infamous Livergate scandal, where he touched the Anfield sign on the way to the dug out, and then ignored the Villa fans at the final whistle, preferring instead to applaud his beloved scouse fans..

I understand that people were hacked off about this, I was too.

But still, we need to look beyond these things, right?

If I could ask you jon, as an apparently avowed opponent of the GH regime, to try and find two positives from his reign, what would they be?

Hmmm. A tricky task Bozzy. :mrgreen: :winkold:

I would go with the emergence of Bannan, who did not get a look in really under MON, but who The Hou (through necessity or choice) decided to give a good few games to. IMO Bannan stepped up the plate, and showed that he was Premier League Level.

Errr, the signing of Bent (although this was perhaps more about Lerner giving him the money that anything). Still - a good signing that helped stave of relegation fears.

he also got Heskey playing better than MON had done.

Look!! I even found 3 things! :P :winkold:

At this precise moment in time, I'd have to go with mcleish as i think he'll get the best out of a fairly limited squad with limited resources. Its easy to criticise the lack of attacking flare but had we still got downing and young would this still be the case ? I'm not so sure. There's also something to be said for being difficult to beat.

With Houllier, he strikes me as someone who needs time and to me, the perfect time for him to have come in would have been after O'leary when we needed a complete overhaul. He'd have had money to spend and would arguably have had more time to build things his way after the O'leary era than when following the relative success of MON. With the money MON spent and the time he was given, I'd have been intrigued to see what Houllier came up with.

If we'd have gone for Ged over MON I'm sure we'd have achevied top 4 within the 4 years - he wouldn't have spunked money on dross and nearly bankrupt us AND we'd have been better prepared once he'd left than when MON jumped ship.

Still - it's Houllier that's a cock, eh? :winkold:

Houllier left us in the shit and claimed compensation too, tbh.

Kinda lends itself to the view that "all managers are mecenaries", no?

But it's Houllier that gets slated and MON that gets immortalised. Go figure.

becasue rightly or wrongly a lot of our fans are idiots.

MON was a disgrace and he's caused these issues that we now have. Peopel talking about him ebing a 'great' he achieved very little and nothing more than DOL except having huge transfer funds and paying ridiculous wages.

Typical response 'MON was a villa, man Houllier wasn't'. One of tehse men wanted to manage Aston villa the other one didn't and left at the worst possible time.

Sadly, that Liverpool performance by Houllier will forever taint him for many. We never got that kind of stuff from MON who said all the right things and made all the right noises....

Yeah, imagine the type of horse shit he was telling the squad, if we go on his Liverpool AND Man City performances.

And why did Martin walk?

MON wanted to be there and Houllier didn't? Congratulations, this is one of the worst posts I've ever read on this messgae board.

MON wanted to be at the club so much he resigned (this means it was his choice to leave - i.e he wanted to leave) - 5 days before the season

Houllier was efectively sacked - he himself said he wanted to stop at the club.

As a man in his 60's where do you think he was aiming to go elsewhere in England?

he wouldn't have spunked money on dross

lets remember some of those great buys at Liverpool; Anelka or Djouf? Not a hard one if you are Houllier. The new Zidane anyone? etc, etc.

Sure he bought some good players, but he bought a hell of a lot of dross with no resale value...

MON wanted to be at the club so much he resigned (this means it was his choice to leave - i.e he wanted to leave) - 5 days before the season

Thats why we had to pay him compensation at a tribunal I suppose?

Houllier however had doctors advice to quit but still held out to be sacked for the compensation.

If we'd have gone for Ged over MON I'm sure we'd have achevied top 4 within the 4 years - he wouldn't have spunked money on dross

Really? Houllier wouldn't have "spunked money on dross"? Gerard Houllier? Are you quite sure about this? Cos history tells us he was quite the expert on buying dross.

Thats why we had to pay him compensation at a tribunal I suppose?

Houllier however had doctors advice to quit but still held out to be sacked for the compensation.

I thought MON's compensation was only circa 3-6 months pay. Seems like a compromise to settle a dispute rather than an acceptance that he had a case?

I think he shafted us - timing etc. - but you still seem want to defend him?

I thought MON's compensation was only circa 3-6 months pay. Seems like a compromise to settle a dispute rather than an acceptance that he had a case?

"3-6 months" is quite a big range! Where does this figure come from?

If he didn't have a case he wouldn't have got any money, would he?

Â