Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bickster

Murdoch Scum

Recommended Posts

This will all blow over with a high profile sacking and a few inquiries that soon get forgotten about and swept aside, only to make a minor ripple on the BBC a few years down the line, which will make little difference as their share in the market has decreased alarmingly and made way for the Murdoch empire, which tells us not to take notice of these journalists claims and not to forget how amazing Sky Atlantic is whilst they jack the prices up and rob us of our disposable income, but not to worry as the majority of newspapers now cost 10p thanks to News Internationals generous ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be very interesting to see on Sunday who DOES advertise with the NOTW.

the adverse reaction from doing so could be very damaging, so surely all companies with any decency (or even an eye on the profit line) will have stopped any forthcoming advertisements with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Procter & Gamble, the UK's largest advertiser and home to household brands including Gillette, Fairy and Pampers, is to review its relationship with the News of the World as a host of big name brands threaten an advertising exodus from this weekend's edition over the latest phone hacking allegations.

Other companies voicing concern about the phone hacking revelations and reviewing whether to pull advertising from the News International tabloid include mobile company 3, Halifax, Tesco, T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone, 02, Coca-Cola GB, Sainsbury's and Asda.

P&G, which last year spent £204m on marketing in the UK and is the third-largest advertiser in the NoW, spending almost £1.5m annually, said that it shared the "growing concern" the public and politicians have voiced over a new wave of phone-hacking allegations this week.

"We are very aware of the situation and share the growing concern amongst the public," said a spokeswoman for the company. "We are monitoring it closely and will be reviewing our options."

From Guardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling their ads from NotW is pointless whilst they keep pumping money into the times, the sun and sky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pulling their ads from NotW is pointless whilst they keep pumping money into the times, the sun and sky.

No, it's helpful in several ways.

They're unlikely to replace the ads in NoW by advertising more in those other outlets, so there's a financial hit for Murdoch. Small beer for him, but better than the opposite.

It reinforces people's motivation to campaign against things, by demonstrating that they can have some effect. See for example the Co-op saying they weren't going to suspend advertising, and 4 hours later changing their mind because of feedback from members. That makes it a little bit more likely that people can be encouraged to do something else, instead of just sitting back and feeling it's all too difficult.

It gives a clear message to politicians that they need to do something. Less than 24 hours ago, the government were saying there would not be a public inquiry. Now there will be two. Advertisers pulling out is helpful in swinging decisions like this, because it adds to the perception that there is such a strong groundswell of opinion that it would be foolish to ignore it.

And of course it adds to the mounting sense of panic in the Murdoch camp - one more fire to fight.

Of course it would be better if advertisers stopped spending any money at all with NI, but I'll take this as a step in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Telegraph report that Ken MacDonald (the DPP when the original hacking prosecutions took place) has been hired as an advisor by the News of the World/News International.

It seems to get murkier by the minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the adverse reaction from doing so could be very damaging

or possibly the advert on the page opposite the hacking scandal story will ensure maximum exposure for a company ? (assuming NOTW at least run something about it , which I'm sure they will have to)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
R4 had an interview with Simon Greenberg, the NI press person this morning. Sounded out of his depth.

Try and catch Jon Snow's interview with him on yesterday's C4 news. The bloke was so bad that you started to fell a little sorry for him (before realising who he was working for and then coming to your senses)

Edit - just realised you linked it in your original post :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greenberg was the first man 5Live got word from from inside News International. He wasn't given a grilling, just asked a few telling questions, and he was flummoxed. But also managed to come across as an odious prick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the adverse reaction from doing so could be very damaging

or possibly the advert on the page opposite the hacking scandal story will ensure maximum exposure for a company ? (assuming NOTW at least run something about it , which I'm sure they will have to)

It may well do that (If people still want to but the odious rag that is).

Whether it's the sort of exposure a company would want, on the other hand ....

unless of course they buy and place an advert that says something along the lines of:

"This tabloid is devoid of all morality and integrity".

Then that'd probably work.

:nod:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
postpoped
If that means burning the Pope at the stake, I'm all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Has anyone grilled Jeremy Hunt yet? Surely the BSkyB decision should be postponed at the very least, if not called off completely.

I think the groundwork has been laid for that to be blamed on OFCOM.

There has been a lot of talk today about 'fit and proper person' tests and whether OFCOM have the right/duty to step in. It appears clear that the government are pushing that line and what OFCOM can do if they decide new owners fail this test. With much talk of judicial review too, though, I think there's an angle that OFCOM won't step in because they can't be sure that News International would fail that test (and not seek a review of that decision) and that the government won't pause because they can claim that OFCOM obviously deemed them fit and proper by not deeming them unfit and improper.

I've probably not made that too clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(If people still want to buy the odious rag that is).

to some extent that would be the more interesting figure to see .... advertisers come and go , chances are Ford etc will bail out until the next thing for twitters to get outraged about comes along and then they will be back advertising in the NOTW again ... but if sales figures drop and don't come back then that is more likely to prevent advertisers returning

do they release weekly sales figures for papers anywhere to see what happens this weekend ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
do they release weekly sales figures for papers anywhere to see what happens this weekend ?

Think it's monthly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they said condeming the so-called British justice system

Could you elaborate on that?

Didn't you hear Dowling's parents and sister reading out their statement's after the murder trial outside the court?

Pretty angry, moving stuff from them about what they'd had to endure.. how the defence counsel had dragged their family through the gutter. Apparently Milly's Mum collapsed in court after being cross examined and made to look like the world's worst mother. Sister's statement I thought was particularly eloquent and thought provoking.... all said the trial has been a living hell.

Why shouldn't the defense have been allowed to do that though?

We in this country give everyone the right to a fair trial, and that involves letting them exhaust every possible avenue of evidence. That Milly had previously threatened to run away because of things she discovered about her father is not the defence's problem. If it wasn't allowed to be explored in trial that, due to there being zero evidence linking her killer to the scene, there was a possibility she ran away on her own accord, then the defendant would not have got his fair trial.

Personally I'd rather ensure guilt than protect the feelings of the family. As harsh as it may sound mollycoddling has no place in the criminal justice system.

This is off topic ...so apologies for digressing regaridng Milly Dowling's family.

I'm not for one second saying that justice should not be served fully... flip there have been enough miscarriages of justice to warrant a full defence. However the fact that people who are witnesses and bystanders are made to feel like criminals themselves under cross examination and that some victims are even put off pressing cases altogether because of the enduring the court case is simply a step too far. A balance has to be struck.

On top of that the family now have to endure the angst of knowing their daughter's mobile phone was hacked at a time when their worst nightmares were being played out... and answer phone messages listened too and possibly deleted to make room for more!

It's just appalling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â