Murdoch Scum

snowychap

WOW so NOTW have decided to fall on their sword.

If this lot have been up to no good...then I'm pretty certain others haven't been far behind.

How the hell can anyone sanction tapping into dead soldiers ansaphone messages and deleting a missing girls ansaphone messages to make room for some more, so hacks (pardon the pun) can listen to them. Giving the family and police hope that the girl is still alive.

Whole thing is beyond beleif!

I would say it's more like the people in the sinking balloon throwing one of their number over the side to gain height.

It's not the people in the NoW doing it, it's being done to them by others.

Extract from James Murdoch's communication to staff:

Many of you, if not the vast majority of you, are either new to the Company or have had no connection to the News of the World during the years when egregious behaviour occurred.

I can understand how unfair these decisions may feel. Particularly, for colleagues who will leave the Company. Of course, we will communicate next steps in detail and begin appropriate consultations.

You may see these changes as a price loyal staff at the News of the World are paying for the transgressions of others.

Quite so, James. The people more responsible are you, your father, and your chum Brooks.

The name 'The Sun on Sunday' has been registered in the last couple of days, apparently. Shock horror.

The News of the World is dead, long live the New... The Sun on Sunday.

The name 'The Sun on Sunday' has been registered in the last couple of days, apparently. Shock horror.

Not by news international though.

It looks like it was just someone hoping to cash in. They've been on about rebranding for a while, so it wasn't a huge shock they're throwing the paper to the wall.

Not by news international though.

It looks like it was just someone hoping to cash in. They've been on about rebranding for a while, so it wasn't a huge shock they're throwing the paper to the wall.

Indeed, just been clarified as being registered by an unknown party.

The head office apparently turned to pandemonium - the staff were informed at the same time as the media, with Brooks allegedly present (who is supposed to have burst into tears), which lead to merry hell breaking out the Beeb reporter on the scene has heard. The paper's offices were earlier described as 'positively mutinous' in the last couple of days, with many staff demanding Brooks head.

I would say it's more like the people in the sinking balloon throwing one of their number over the side to gain height.

I'd say it's more like the evil ogre cutting off his little finger as a blood sacrifice in full knowledge it will have grown back this time next year.

Supposedly the staff were unimpressed by their sacking, whilst Mrs Brooks stayed....
They haven't been sacked - they have been asked to apply for other jobs in the organisation. The fact that they might launch a new title will keep them all busy

John Gaunt on Question Time tonight.
And this is what happens after a century of murdoch influencing opinon - you end up with retards like gaunt appearing on what are supposed to be serious programs.

...These papers have been studiously ignoring the issue for years. The Guardian, and only the Guardian, has been pursuing it for several years, trying to get someone to take an interest.

The police, politicians, and the press have all chosen to ignore it until it finally became to big to ignore.

Sort of, but not really.

The grauniad started on it when they found out about NI paying off Gordon Taylor and a couple of others about 2 years ago. Didn't they get told off by the PCC for it?

Then the New York Times did something about a year later - I remember driving in my car and the NYT article was being discussed on the radio end of last summer I think. Since then the Guardian and to a lesser degree the Independent have been writing about it, with the Guardian being the one breaking most of the News.

Credit to the Guardian for sticking with it, for following through with their investigations and for being like a dog with a bone, but they aren't the sole paper that's been interested in the story, though they have lead and deserve credit for that.

There was a thing the Information Commission released ages ago that said they found over 300 instances of papers paying private investigators for info - and the Daily Mail, Mirror, Sun, NoTW and a couple of other rags were the main offenders. I don't remember the broadsheets (any of them) being guilty, including the Times.

It's surprising that the Torygraph hasn't done more on it. As for the tabloids - well they're all, or were all, at the same muck raking so I guess kept quiet - people in glass houses...

But the paper I read most days has been going on about Murdoch and his conduct and influence for years, too. They certainly haven't been studiously ignoring the issue for years.

Yep, and they'd be right.

More fool those who allow it to be so.

Following on from this....

This is why targetting notw advertisers instead of newscorp advertisers fails. It allows them to remove the damaged appendage.

If cadbury were exposed for pumping sewage into dairy milk bars you would hope that people would boycott cadbury as a whole and not just the one brand.

But rupert will get off with losing a brand and and the cost of an organisation restructure.

...These papers have been studiously ignoring the issue for years. The Guardian, and only the Guardian, has been pursuing it for several years, trying to get someone to take an interest.

The police, politicians, and the press have all chosen to ignore it until it finally became to big to ignore.

Sort of, but not really.

The grauniad started on it when they found out about NI paying off Gordon Taylor and a couple of others about 2 years ago. Didn't they get told off by the PCC for it?

Yes, that's right.

The PCC withdrew that report yesterday.

But the paper I read most days has been going on about Murdoch and his conduct and influence for years, too. They certainly haven't been studiously ignoring the issue for years.

Yes, they probably covered more on the story than most other newspapers. The Guardian was the one that dug it out, though. Quite a commitment for a loss-making paper to keep a journo plugging away on this for a couple of years, spending a lot of time and costing a lot of money.

Investigative journalism has been downgraded by newspapers in recent years, precisely because it is so staff-intensive and therefore costly. Easier to fill the space with celeb shite.

I didn't know that about the PCC.

Aside from the good work of the Grauniad, a couple of MPs seem to have done a good job, too.

I dunno, but I don't think just the Guardian would have been able to get anywhere like we're at now without the MPs and others also keeping the attention on this. In fact I don't really understand how it went from the Police practically colluding to keep it quiet to it being re-opened and looked at properly - was it court cases maybe that did it? Was it the likes of Prescott and those back-benchers?

I didn't know that about the PCC.

Aside from the good work of the Grauniad, a couple of MPs seem to have done a good job, too.

I dunno, but I don't think just the Guardian would have been able to get anywhere like we're at now without the MPs and others also keeping the attention on this. In fact I don't really understand how it went from the Police practically colluding to keep it quiet to it being re-opened and looked at properly - was it court cases maybe that did it? Was it the likes of Prescott and those back-benchers?

Sorry, should have linked the PCC thing. Here, and extract:

At its regular meeting today, the Press Complaints Commission discussed the admissions of the News of the World of its involvement in the hacking of the telephone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler in 2002. There have been similar claims made in regard to other victims of crime and tragedy.

The Commission's members, both public and editorial, were unanimous in their condemnation.

The Commission was very clear that this conduct was unacceptable and self-evidently undermined assurances given to the PCC by News International in the past. It, therefore, recognises that it can no longer stand by its 2009 report on phone hacking and the assertions made in it...

Some MPs helped. A small number, Prescott among them. Others were specifically warned off, with the threat that their private lives would be spread across the front pages, and heeded the warnings.

Other parts of the press generally kept their heads down. Maybe they had something to hide, maybe they saw no mileage in making very powerful enemies, maybe they doubted the story or its popular appeal. The police seem to have been paid off, with money or jobs, or maybe intimidation as well, given that Paddick was targeted, as was another policeman investigating a murder case.

It is this bending of others to the will of News International that makes it far, far more than a story about offending the sensitivities and invading the privacy of the families of dead servicemen and murdered teenagers.

It goes to the heart of our control of our own society.

Â