Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

I watched him play close to 100 times for Ireland, and he is top quality.

He is so consistent, he just doesn't make mistakes.

Would be a great signing, and he should be good for us for ~3 years

Plus he is a great friend of Richard Dunne, and may be an inspiration to get the Dunney Monster playing at a top level once more.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but, I was wondering if anyone agrees that some of our defensive lapses last season, especially from corners/set pieces, etc, could be attributed to Friedel's lack of command of his area, and his penchant for staying on his line. And that this is something Given could fix...

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't be bothered trawling through 30 odd pages to find out...

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but, I was wondering if anyone agrees that some of our defensive lapses last season, especially from corners/set pieces, etc, could be attributed to Friedel's lack of command of his area, and his penchant for staying on his line. And that this is something Given could fix...

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't be bothered trawling through 30 odd pages to find out...

From what I've sen of Given he is not really the dominant sort in terms of coming out and commanding his area although I'm sure he the defense will have great confidence in having him behind them.

Personally I don't think Friedel did an awful lot wrong last season O thought a lot of our conceded goals were just down to him being left exposed.

Just remember guys and gals the balls today are not like the old Mitre Multiplex they move around and you cant judge how they will behave so it is a lot more difficult to know which way they will go. So harder to come and collect a cross..

Especially if you're comparitively a short-arse for a goalkeeper. I'd prefer someone younger and taller. I wouldn't mind a goalkeeper with those attributes either ;)

He's good, but with his age, his shoulder injury, his lack of gametime at City and his high wages, I think there are better choices out there. It sounds pretty nailed on now though so I guess we just have to hope for the best.

Today I read on fb that a guy had talked to someone who claims that he's very much TK who said that Given is at BH today having his medical there. Now, I doubt that's true but you never know and I just thought I'd pass that on. Guess we'll see today or tomorrow if that's true or not.

Today I read on fb that a guy had talked to someone who claims that he's very much TK who said...
That HAS to be a joke! :lol:

Nah, I don't think the one who wrote meant it as a joke. Aston Villa supprter club Swedens forum on fb isn't a place where people normally would put up things like that without actually believing it. And when someone suggested that the source was Downings "mate", the poster stood firm that it wasn't and that theu guy was very close to the Villa board. But of course, the source may have meant it as a joke. I think the "source" is talking shite.

I hope it is tied up.. I just want a signing you know, something that hopefully opens the floodgates. We've been pretty static so far, lots of speculation and links but no actual movement.. I want Given in today hopefully.

If we can get him in for a few million and pay him £30-£40k per week or thereabouts, fair enough. If it's going to cost us much more than that I really don't think it's worth it. Surely there are plenty of decent goalkeepers in Europe or even in the lower leagues that could make the step up.

I wish this could all just be finalised, though, I find goalkeeper speculation proper boring.

Today I read on fb that a guy had talked to someone who claims that he's very much TK who said that Given is at BH today having his medical there. Now, I doubt that's true but you never know and I just thought I'd pass that on. Guess we'll see today or tomorrow if that's true or not.

Still sounds infinitely more credible than a Mirror source to me... ;)