Gym Routine

olboydave

Oops didn't mean to cut that short...

Anyway, yeah mainly cardio. I'm really unfit which has never been the case my whole life and I really don't like the feeling, both physically and mentally.

I'm not a big guy so I'll settle for toning up with the weights rather than going full Arnie! I'll be going with a couple guys from work I get on well with. One of which knows what he's doing so he can keep me right.

Quite looking forward to it!

• Like 1

I have a weird issue with pull-ups. Like Stevo, my consecutive bodyweight sets drop off significantly (13,10,9,7 last time out). However, I can do 4 sets of 6 with 25kg around my waist no problem. I've tried adding 25kg after three bodyweight sets and still hit 6 reps. I can't figure out why my reps on the fourth set reps are always similar, even if I'm 25kg lighter... 

Good stuff, i usually do 3 sets of BW to failure then 20kg around waist 3 sets to failure.

Although ive cut down on pullups now as had more growth from rows and blitzing arms twice a week.

If people cant lift their own BW and claim they are (lean) and they frequent the gym often then im afraid you need to man the f*uck up.

I have a weird issue with pull-ups. Like Stevo, my consecutive bodyweight sets drop off significantly (13,10,9,7 last time out). However, I can do 4 sets of 6 with 25kg around my waist no problem. I've tried adding 25kg after three bodyweight sets and still hit 6 reps. I can't figure out why my reps on the fourth set reps are always similar, even if I'm 25kg lighter... 

Good stuff, i usually do 3 sets of BW to failure then 20kg around waist 3 sets to failure.

Although ive cut down on pullups now as had more growth from rows and blitzing arms twice a week.

If people cant lift their own BW and claim they are (lean) and they frequent the gym often then im afraid you need to man the f*uck up.

**** off mate

• Like 1

**** off mate

I'm going to encourage people at the gym struggling to do pull ups to scream at themselves for their lack of effort and their need to grow a pair. That'll help them to do it surely??

**** off mate

I'm going to encourage people at the gym struggling to do pull ups to scream at themselves for their lack of effort and their need to grow a pair. That'll help them to do it surely??

The "Gunnery Sergeant Hartman" approach to motivation. 

• Like 1

**** off mate

You would encourage them to push their limits and not give up before they even start. Im talking about people who go to the gym regular, do heavyish deads, bench, squats and diet but then say they cant lift their own BW on pullups. Thats damn right lazyness.

**** off mate

You would encourage them to push their limits and not give up before they even start. Im talking about people who go to the gym regular, do heavyish deads, bench, squats and diet but then say they cant lift their own BW on pullups. Thats damn right lazyness.

Maybe they just can't?

It completely depends on your bodyweight.

A 10 stone skinny dude would be able to do pull ups no bother.

An 18 stone monster would struggle, even if he's a regular gym goer.

Gabnana is just being an arse (again)

Some on here have probably trained at Iron Works (Cotteridge), I used to train there loads as a teen and in my early 20s before moving from Birmingham .

Anyway, if you've trained there a lot then you'd surely know Bob Young (the founder of Iron Works, the 'old' looking guy who was in fantastic shape). Well I found out today that he has sadly passed away. He was an absolutely tremendous and kind man who was always happy to chat and give you a spot. Very sad news this. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Im not being an arse, just giving my opinion.

If you train and eat properly then you should be able to pull your BW and alot of old school trainers will also say you should be able to bench your BW.

Im 16stone and its not a problem but then i really push myself to my limits, i take inspiration from the way Zack Khan and CT Fletcher train, great motivation to get those extra reps.

Some on here have probably trained at Iron Works (Cotteridge), I used to train there loads as a teen and in my early 20s before moving from Birmingham .

Anyway, if you've trained there a lot then you'd surely know Bob Young (the founder of Iron Works, the 'old' looking guy who was in fantastic shape). Well I found out today that he has sadly passed away. He was an absolutely tremendous and kind man who was always happy to chat and give you a spot. Very sad news this. 

Ahh shit! That is awful news. I trained there for a long time before moving away from Birmingham. Bob was always a friendly, welcoming bloke, and with Monica and Darren, he created a great training environment and a truly top class gym.

RIP Bob :( 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

Just thought I'd drop a quick update for anyone interested in intermittent fasting. Obviously the goal with it is weight loss id imagine for most but from one what I've read about it now it seems like it's more of a lifestyle choice. 

I've been doing it for almost a week now. Weighed myself at 204.8lbs on Wednesday but I'm not going to really take any notice of the scales until I've been doing it for at least a full week.

a few things I've noticed so far though.....

fasting is surprisingly easy for me, I think benefit from a job that is reasonably active and changes every hour or so I don't really even have time to think about food. At the very least I'm going from 8pm to 1pm on training days and 8pm to 4pm on none training days fasted consuming nothing but water and the occasional black coffee.

Counter to popular belief I actually feel like I have more energy in the mornings than when I did if I ate oats. I feel more alert and in a much better mood. 

The hardest thing I've noticed is actually getting in all the calories in that eating window. I'm not a big junk food eater so trying to get around 2300 calories in on none trainings in 4 hours is challenging.

ill update properly after a few weeks to a month with my protocol and what supplements I've been using but thought I'd let people know that so far, fingers crossed, it's actually quite easy and surprisingly liberating. 

Edited by sexbelowsound

If you train and eat properly then you should be able to pull your BW and alot of old school trainers will also say you should be able to bench your BW.

Im 16stone and its not a problem but then i really push myself to my limits, i take inspiration from the way Zack Khan and CT Fletcher train, great motivation to get those extra reps.

You're being an arse by saying someone who can't do pull ups properly is lazy.
You seem to do it a lot in this thread. You don't have to swing your dick around so much.

• Like 1

It completely depends on your bodyweight.A 10 stone skinny dude would be able to do pull ups no bother.

You're being an arse by saying someone who can't do pull ups properly is lazy.

You seem to do it a lot in this thread. You don't have to swing your dick around so much.

If you train regular and eat properly but then say you can only manage 1 pull up, esp after saying you can lift heavyish deads, bench. Then yes giving up after 1 rep is damn right lazy.

Please quote where ive been an 'arse'.

Surely it's a case of how you train  ... Back in my running & football days I used to do pull ups with a weight attached to make it harder  ... Nowadays the extra weight is all natural and around my stomach and I struggle to do pull ups  .... but here's the thing  , I'm not conditioning myself to do pull ups as I was back then ... same way I used to do hill sprints and don't any more  , thus I'm not surprised I can no longer knock out 11 secs 100m ...

• Like 1

Surely it's a case of how you train  ... Back in my running & football days I used to do pull ups with a weight attached to make it harder  ... Nowadays the extra weight is all natural and around my stomach and I struggle to do pull ups  .... but here's the thing  , I'm not conditioning myself to do pull ups as I was back then ... same way I used to do hill sprints and don't any more  , thus I'm not surprised I can no longer knock out 11 secs 100m ...

Thats my point though mate, if your training to grow muscle and are lifting heavyish deads, bench and squats and dieting then failing at 1 rep of BW pullups is lazy, alot of people dont know how push their limits.

What does that have to do with anything though? They're not training to do pullups. It's like strongmen who can lift 500 lb tires easily because that's how they train, and a bodybuilder struggles with it at first because he's not used to the technique etc even though he's strong enough to lift it.

You're no better than anyone because you can do some damn pullups lmao

• Like 1

Â