Gym Routine

olboydave

See I don't like rack pulls at all as I find that I can't get enough tension on my hamstrings meaning that my lower back tends to take the strain again. Plus they're cheating ;) .

Lock-out is my problem and where I've done the damage, anyway. 

Personally I do not want to be out ever again with a pulled lower back so I just don't do deadlifts or upright rows anymore.

This happened to me 3 months ago, doing deadlift with three plates..admittedly not concentrating cos there was a fit girl doing deadlifts next to me.

First rep was fine, but I was such an idiot, i didn't let the weight drop back on the floor, so went into the next rep and my lower back muscle just pulled.  unbelievable pain, kinda scared to go too heavy on dead-lifts now.

No pain no gain though... still got to do the upright rows for the hoes....:)

Edited by supermon

I've often started a batch of deadlifts and just had to walk away before in the warm up before the weight got heavy as some days I just can't get the form right and I know it wouldn't end well cranking a heavy set ... Leaves he in a bad mood for the day 

any thoughts on hex bar deadlifts v barbell deadlifts?

Hex bar is more safe for the spine, better for form too

Been pondering this very question myself. The new deadlifting platform in my gym came with some shiny new barbells and hex bars. I've never used a hex bar before.

From what I've read the difference seems to be that Hexbars put less stress on the lower back, and on average people can lift heavier with the hex bar.

Obviously the former is a good thing, I' not sure the latter is though. It's better if you want to lift more weight, but does that just mean it's easier? i.e not working you as hard?

Been pondering this very question myself. The new deadlifting platform in my gym came with some shiny new barbells and hex bars. I've never used a hex bar before.

From what I've read the difference seems to be that Hexbars put less stress on the lower back, and on average people can lift heavier with the hex bar.

Obviously the former is a good thing, I' not sure the latter is though. It's better if you want to lift more weight, but does that just mean it's easier? i.e not working you as hard?

It might just be a more natural movement.

See I don't like rack pulls at all as I find that I can't get enough tension on my hamstrings meaning that my lower back tends to take the strain again. Plus they're cheating [emoji6] .

Cheating what?

Take the bar just below the knee and you'll have enough tension on the hammys.

They worked great for DY.

Ive trained everyday this week since having a month off, strength is back and i feel great, its bulk time now. Calories will be upped and ill be aiming for a PB on bench during this mini 8 week bulk

See I don't like rack pulls at all as I find that I can't get enough tension on my hamstrings meaning that my lower back tends to take the strain again. Plus they're cheating [emoji6] .

Cheating what?

Ive trained everyday this week since having a month off, strength is back and i feel great, its bulk time now. Calories will be upped and ill be aiming for a PB on bench during this mini 8 week bulk

When I didn't have access to any machines I would do a lot of stiff legged deadlifts for my hamstrings. Personally I felt I had to go half way between my knees and my shins to get proper tension on my hamstrings.

Cheating what?

When I didn't have access to any machines I would do a lot of stiff legged deadlifts for my hamstrings. Personally I felt I had to go half way between my knees and my shins to get proper tension on my hamstrings.

Same, but I imagine it's something that varies from person to person.

I'm tall like you (I think you said you were tall) so maybe that's it.

Cheating what?

Same, but I imagine it's something that varies from person to person.

I'm tall like you (I think you said you were tall) so maybe that's it.

Yeah I assumed it was that as well but then if YG is even taller i'd look like a right melon. 

It makes sense though that a taller person would need to lower it further for maximum tension.

Cheating what?

Cheating in that you're not lifting it off the floor. It's not a true deadlift. And you can lift significantly more weight. Removes what's generally the hardest part of the lift. Rack pulls are great but only for specifically training the lockout portion of the deadlift IMO. 

See I don't like rack pulls at all as I find that I can't get enough tension on my hamstrings meaning that my lower back tends to take the strain again. Plus they're cheating [emoji6] .Lock-out is my problem and where I've done the damage, anyway. 

Cheating what?

Cheating in that you're not lifting it off the floor. It's not a true deadlift. And you can lift significantly more weight. Removes what's generally the hardest part of the lift. Rack pulls are great but only for specifically training the lockout portion of the deadlift IMO. 

Its a different exercise to the deadlift, although its a similar motion. The first part of the deadlift is a leg movement so taking that out and doing rack pulls you feel it hitting your back alot more.

DY himself says that.

Im not an ego lifter so im not fussed if i can lift more or less weight by doing rack pulls.

I used the hexbar for my deadlifts last night. Gotta say, it was awesome.

It felt impossible to break form while I was lifting. I think the more natural position of your arms being by your side as opposed to in front of you means your shoulders naturally stay back and your back naturally stays straight, rather than constantly fighting to round out.

Basically, when I usually deadlift, I feel like if I push myself too hard my form will break and I'll do myself a mischief. With the hexbar I felt like I could push as hard as I wanted and my form would be solid. I didn't push myself THAT hard just in case I was getting carried away, but I lifted 10kg heavier than I did last week and felt like I could have gone higher.

I think I'm converted. Only negative was a slight pain in my knee while I was doing it, but that could well just be coincidence.

I used the hexbar for my deadlifts last night. Gotta say, it was awesome.

It felt impossible to break form while I was lifting. I think the more natural position of your arms being by your side as opposed to in front of you means your shoulders naturally stay back and your back naturally stays straight, rather than constantly fighting to round out.

Basically, when I usually deadlift, I feel like if I push myself too hard my form will break and I'll do myself a mischief. With the hexbar I felt like I could push as hard as I wanted and my form would be solid. I didn't push myself THAT hard just in case I was getting carried away, but I lifted 10kg heavier than I did last week and felt like I could have gone higher.

I think I'm converted. Only negative was a slight pain in my knee while I was doing it, but that could well just be coincidence.

Most people usually find they can lift more with the hex bar, do you find it hits more of your quads than your lower back?

That's exactly right. It's a more quad-dominant lift. Because the weight is positioned laterally, rather than in front of you, you can't get the hips as far back without bending the knees. In fact it's hard to actually lower the bar at all without bending the knees which turns the hex/trap bar deadlift into an almost deadlift/squat hybrid. Some people know the bar as the 'dead-squat bar'. With quads generally being stronger than hamstrings, it's possible to lift more weight, especially if using the high handles (not all hex bars have these) which reduce the range of motion. 

Â