Gym Routine

olboydave

No worries, I'd lifted for about 4 years on and off when I bought the stuff but I'd wasted a lot of that time **** around with my mates in the gym in that time instead of getting stronger.

If you've got the space and money up front then buying your own equipment is definitely the best option IMO.

If I could start my lifting career all over again I'd buy the same stuff and start with a basic routine, something like Starting Strength (linked in the second ever post of this thread).

The most important bits of equipment are a power cage, a bench, a barbell and some weight plates. You can try and find used stuff if you want a bargain but there's enough cheap new stuff on ebay to get a decent set up going. I got THIS cage for example.

Depending on the floor in your spare room I'd recommend putting some floor covering down as well, I think this is actually all covered in the Starting Strength book.

That's a good point. Deadlift is probably the only lift that you need to be wary of. I think plywood (I've got 2 layers of exterior plywood with the grain perpendicular to each other) underneath everything would spread the load but I'm not too sure if that would be enough to completely protect from repeated heavy DLs in the long term upstairs.

Depends on the house I suppose.

Nice work. Back on a 5x5?

I'm doing a strength/density routine at the moment.

So 4 times a week and you alternate between strength workouts (8 sets of your 3 rep max) and density workouts (7 sets, starting at your 8 rep max and trying to hit 30 reps total for the whole set)

It's a killer. 8 sets of Deadlifts at 3 rep max is ridiculous.

Need to add cardio back in. Urgh

I did 3x8 this week as a warm-up to get back into it (form a such) but I will be doing 5x5 next week. Get my strength and stamina back up to scratch.

Hurt like a mother yesterday when I was throwing the little one up in the air and catching him.

I don't, but I very well might from now on!

I definitely recommend them. There are other good companies who offer a similar service, as Arte mentioned, but MuscleFood do such a broad range of products. I buy a huge proportion of my weekly food shopping from them now.

If you put in an order then let me know, I'll send you my referral code - you'll get four free chicken breasts or something.

Yeah I can vouch for them too, they're excellent. I think you get a choice of free stuff when you use a referral code, for some bizarre reason (somewhere between apathy and curiosity) I chose protein bread.

Don't choose protein bread.

• Like 1

I've lost a lot of motivation lately.

Don't really know what it is. Managing to stick to my diet more or less but when I get to the gym I just can't wait to get out of there again.

I'm still putting the work in but I'd be lying if I said I'm working as hard as I usually do.

Annoying.

I've lost a lot of motivation lately.

Don't really know what it is. Managing to stick to my diet more or less but when I get to the gym I just can't wait to get out of there again.

I'm still putting the work in but I'd be lying if I said I'm working as hard as I usually do.

Annoying.

Feeling the same, I've been worse though - I haven't lifted for nearly 5 weeks now after a real good 6 months of progress.

I've been playing football quite a bit, which is keeping/improving my general fitness, but I need to get back into gear and get lifting.

Â