Gym Routine

olboydave

Tabata is great but I would say that it is something to progress to.

Think minimum effective dose. There's no point destroying yourself with work:rest ratios of 2:1 when starting off at 1:3-4 will probably do the trick to begin with. The key is to always try to leave room for progression. Everybody's different but I'm doing 1:3 intervals at the moment (15:45 seconds), using battle ropes, KB swings and bike mainly. The fat is melting away pretty rapidly, and I'm maintaining muscle mass (my diet also has a lot to do with this). When my progress starts stalling, I'll move to 1:2 and so on. In fact, I probably won't go any lower than that as I find that it impedes my recovery.

I posted a while ago in this thread about how awesome HIIT is, with it's positive effect on muscle fibre conversion and increase in aerobic capacity.

I'm currently trying to lose a bit of timber (I've got a fair amount of it)

I'm probably eating between 1300 and 1700 calories a day and doing 2 or 3 20 minute sessions a day on my bike about 5 times a week.

My problem is that I struggle to do more than 20 minutes a time because I have a **** up hip.

Each time I'm on my bike I'm doing 5 or 6 miles so between 10 and 18 miles a day.

What do you lot recon is that enough to shift some lard or is there anything else I could be doing?

(Also how long dya recon it'll take to see the results, I've only just started with all this shit I'm about 12 days into this current fad)

I'd be pretty surprised if you weren't already seeing the results.

If your burning approx 600 calories a day on the bike then you're at a net calorie intake of 700-1100 which should get you pretty quick results especially if you started off with a "bit of timber"

Joined the gym 13 days ago was 14 stone 8lb, this morning I'm 13 stone 10lb. Ideally I'd like to get down to the low 12s, that was always my weight when I was 18/19/20 but I reckon I've filled out a lot since then as there was no meat on my bones in them days. Great to see a 13 on the scales so next target is definitely to see a 12.

Edited by Folski
  • Like 1

Apparently going for a walk for an hour in the morning before breakfast (basically on an empty stomach) is an effective way at losing fat.

That and intermittent fasting (which is what I'll basically be doing in Ramadhan though much harder).

As Stevo said, there maybe an element of Broscience in this, but I have found it to be effective.

Personally, I tried the whole walking for an hour at pace thing and it does get results, BUT it didn't shift the layer of fat around my lower stomach/love handles and you quickly reach a plateau.

I've since embarked on high intensity interval training and the results after 10 days are pretty amazing so far.

Again how much of this is broscience vs real science maybe debatable, but the biggest test is the results and this is working for me.

The theory with HIIT is it works you both aerobically and anaerobically and if you are exercising on an empty stomach (or a generally low carb diet) it burns through your fat stores for energy far quicker than low/moderate intensity sessions.

It's hard, no question about it, but I much prefer sprinting for a total of 10-12 mins over walking for an hour or more. I also get a big endorphin rush afterwards and it makes me feel ace for hours after.

This link is worth a look of your interested

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

• Like 1

I'm probably eating between 1300 and 1700 calories a day and doing 2 or 3 20 minute sessions a day on my bike about 5 times a week.

My problem is that I struggle to do more than 20 minutes a time because I have a **** up hip.

Each time I'm on my bike I'm doing 5 or 6 miles so between 10 and 18 miles a day.

What do you lot recon is that enough to shift some lard or is there anything else I could be doing?

(Also how long dya recon it'll take to see the results, I've only just started with all this shit I'm about 12 days into this current fad)

you're actually eating too little.

That much cardio a day coupled with a 1300 calorie diet is absurdly few calories.

You're recommended allowance is 2500 for an average person, so you only need to aim for about 2000 a day to see results, and that's net so includes the calories you burn from cardio.

If you're struggling to see results I'd actually say you might be better off adding 500 calories to your diet.

Double check your calories are right as well. Don't guess because you can be way out.

Warnock, high intensity interval training is your friend for getting up to speed for football.

Maybe throw in a long distance run for stamina every week too.

But, nothing can train you for football other than football. The best way to increase you're match fitness is to play.

It sounds like a myth or a cliché but its honestly the truth.

I've been doing loads of cardio this year on my cut. HIIT, spin classes, long distance runs here and there. But first football match of the season (our work "season" that is which started in April) and I was absolutely **** after 10 minutes.

Quick question guys, read it's better to do weights first then cardio, I've basically been gyming the last 3 weeks, when I started it was probably 95% cardio 5% weights but I've been increasing the weight load all the time and am doing less and less cardio. For example first day I think I did 10km on the bike, 1km on treadmill (top speed 12km/hr), 1km on rowing machine and 1 set of 20 reps on a bicep curl machine. Yesterday I did 2.5km on the bike at a much higher difficulty level, 2km on treadmill (top speed 18km/hr) & then 5 set of 12 reps on 6 different machines. I feel like I'm maxing my body out at the end of the weight session and if i do it first that it will impact my cardio. Anyone any experience of this? I'm off to gym now so I'll know in about an hour. 

That much cardio a day coupled with a 1300 calorie diet is absurdly few calories.

You're recommended allowance is 2500 for an average person, so you only need to aim for about 2000 a day to see results, and that's net so includes the calories you burn from cardio.

If you're struggling to see results I'd actually say you might be better off adding 500 calories to your diet.

Double check your calories are right as well. Don't guess because you can be way out.

Yeah my calorie intake is correct, that's not me cutting down or starving myself or anything like that, I just don't eat all that much grub, all that I have done is cut out the crisps and shitty snacks and stuff like that

Warnock, high intensity interval training is your friend for getting up to speed for football.

Maybe throw in a long distance run for stamina every week too.

But, nothing can train you for football other than football. The best way to increase you're match fitness is to play.

It sounds like a myth or a cliché but its honestly the truth.

I've been doing loads of cardio this year on my cut. HIIT, spin classes, long distance runs here and there. But first football match of the season (our work "season" that is which started in April) and I was absolutely **** after 10 minutes.

Cheers. This morning was my third training session and although I'm noticing improvement it's still doing me over. I'll be playing in goal but I want to be as fit as an outfield player - eventually.

Quick question guys, read it's better to do weights first then cardio, I've basically been gyming the last 3 weeks, when I started it was probably 95% cardio 5% weights but I've been increasing the weight load all the time and am doing less and less cardio. For example first day I think I did 10km on the bike, 1km on treadmill (top speed 12km/hr), 1km on rowing machine and 1 set of 20 reps on a bicep curl machine. Yesterday I did 2.5km on the bike at a much higher difficulty level, 2km on treadmill (top speed 18km/hr) & then 5 set of 12 reps on 6 different machines. I feel like I'm maxing my body out at the end of the weight session and if i do it first that it will impact my cardio. Anyone any experience of this? I'm off to gym now so I'll know in about an hour. 

Can't you do them on different days?

I always do weights first.

Cardio tires you out, and I don't want my muscles aching or tired when in lifting so I always leave the cardio until last.

• Like 1

Yeah my calorie intake is correct, that's not me cutting down or starving myself or anything like that, I just don't eat all that much grub, all that I have done is cut out the crisps and shitty snacks and stuff like that
what I'm saying is that could well be not enough calories.

If you're eating 1300 and doing an hour's cycling, which could burn off 600 calories quite easily, then you're net intake is 700 calories which is basically starvation.

If you're body is only getting that then its likely clinging on to fat for dear life because it thinks it's not going to get any more any time soon.

The key to dieting is eating as much as possible whilst still losing weight.

If I were you I'd keep up the cardio, but increase your calories to around 2000 a day for 2 weeks and see what happens. If you put on weight or don't lose any then slowly reduce your calories until you do.

what I'm saying is that could well be not enough calories.

If you're eating 1300 and doing an hour's cycling, which could burn off 600 calories quite easily, then you're net intake is 700 calories which is basically starvation.

If you're body is only getting that then its likely clinging on to fat for dear life because it thinks it's not going to get any more any time soon.

The key to dieting is eating as much as possible whilst still losing weight.

If I were you I'd keep up the cardio, but increase your calories to around 2000 a day for 2 weeks and see what happens. If you put on weight or don't lose any then slowly reduce your calories until you do.

Recent studies have shown that the body won't necessarily hold onto fat. As I mentioned previously re the 5:2 diet, it can help the body to only eat reduced calories on a day and setting the body to starvation mode. As long as you are not eating much carbs on those days

I'm not really convinced by the 5:2 diet. I think its just a way of decreasing your weekly calorie intake whilst still eating normally on certain days.

If it works, great. But I'm not convinced its any different to calorie counting in effect, its just dressed up.

But I haven't read much into it so happy to admit I don't know enough for that to be an educated conclusion

Edited by Stevo985

People over complicate how to lose weight. If your sitting on your arse all day in an office you certainly do not need to eat 2000 calories.

Eat less carbs! Even fruit like bananas are high in carbs. Be boring with your eating patterns in that you need to be eating the same nearly every night so you dont fall into temptation. Chicken breast, SWEET potato, veg are the sort of thing you need to be eating daily. Sunflower seeds and almond nuts are the perfect snacks to keep you full throughout the day.

I do a form of the 5:2 diet daily but what I do Is intermittent fasting in that I fast for 16 hours every day and eat HEALTHY for the other 8. Simple in that it basically means I skip breakfast (which im not a fan of anyway) then eat from 12pm to 8pm. Dont get hungry at all.

Drink PLENTY of water.

Add HIIT to the mix and your gonna look one ripped mother fo'.

People over complicate how to lose weight. If your sitting on your arse all day in an office you certainly do not need to eat 2000 calories.

Eat less carbs! Even fruit like bananas are high in carbs. Be boring with your eating patterns in that you need to be eating the same nearly every night so you dont fall into temptation. Chicken breast, SWEET potato, veg are the sort of thing you need to be eating daily. Sunflower seeds and almond nuts are the perfect snacks to keep you full throughout the day.

I do a form of the 5:2 diet daily but what I do Is intermittent fasting in that I fast for 16 hours every day and eat HEALTHY for the other 8. Simple in that it basically means I skip breakfast (which im not a fan of anyway) then eat from 12pm to 8pm. Dont get hungry at all.

Drink PLENTY of water.

Add HIIT to the mix and your gonna look one ripped mother fo'.

You say to eat less carbs but then recommend sweet potato... ;).

There's nothing inherently fattening about carbs. Unless there's some specific intolerance, the average person can can have 25-35% of their calories come from carbs and still be considered low carb. It's the quality of carbs that count. Fibrous carbs are preferable but there's nothing wrong with a few starches either. And white potatoes are fine.

Recommending a boring diet is counter-productive. The key to a successful diet is adherence. For the average person, a boring diet is going to be tough to stick to. A pro bodybuilder obviously has a lot of motivation to stick to the basics.

I'm 106kg with around 10% body fat at the moment and have eaten different things every day this week. As well as chicken breast I have had chicken and turkey thighs, beef steaks, salmon, tuna, pork and some lamb. My carbs have mostly come from fruits and vegetables, sweet and white potato and quinoa, with fats from meat, olive oil, nut butters and seeds.

I'm currently consuming roughly 3500 calories (which puts me at a slight deficit based on my BMR) per day with 35% each protein and carbs and 30% fat but as long as I eat enough protein, the macros aren't that important and are, within reason, a matter of taste and preference. My carbs could be higher but I don't actually enjoy them that much, so I eat less. I've also had a couple of 'treats' here and there, whilst remaining in my deficit.

I agree that dieting doesn't have to be complicated - just eat at or below maintenance calories, with enough protein and exercise and you're set. The fatter you are, the larger the deficit should be. Intermittent fasting is unnecessary but can be a good way of getting people eating less and providing a plan to follow.

There is a lot of contradictory info on how eating to fewer calories sends your body into 'starvation mode'.

I think there is some truth in the suggestion that too few calories over a prolonged period of time drops your metabolic rate, but by a relatively small amount (10% is a figure I've seen). I would be more concerned by the fact it's likely to be as much muscle mass being lost as fat with a starvation approach.

Another one is the 'little and often' vs 3 larger meals. The alleged theory is your metabolism spikes for longer if you keep feeding it with small amounts every couple of hours, but other studies show that your metabolic rate rises dependant on the amount of calories you consume with each meal. So in effect eating 1 meal with a calorie value of 1000kcal will spike you metabolic rate for longer than 10 x 100 calories, so the net effect is the same overall.

Over complicating.

Doesn't really matter how many meals you have unless you're a real deal enthusiast.

For the majority of dieters and gym goers its irrelevant

There is a lot of contradictory info on how eating to fewer calories sends your body into 'starvation mode'.

I think there is some truth in the suggestion that too few calories over a prolonged period of time drops your metabolic rate, but by a relatively small amount (10% is a figure I've seen). I would be more concerned by the fact it's likely to be as much muscle mass being lost as fat with a starvation approach.

Another one is the 'little and often' vs 3 larger meals. The alleged theory is your metabolism spikes for longer if you keep feeding it with small amounts every couple of hours, but other studies show that your metabolic rate rises dependant on the amount of calories you consume with each meal. So in effect eating 1 meal with a calorie value of 1000kcal will spike you metabolic rate for longer than 10 x 100 calories, so the net effect is the same overall.

The fasting actually makes you burn off fat not muscle.

I agree with what you say though, I'm sure there are studies to prove all theories of dieting. It's just down to the individual to find what works for them.

• 1 month later...

Is there a better time to exercise or does it not matter? 

I'm just doing cardio currently (25km on an exercise bike 5/6 times a week) and I do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Was just wondering if I should be doing after I've eaten all my food for the day or at least when I've had some.

Edited by Milfner

Â