What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

5 hours ago, Daweii said:

Listening to it too. The majority of it is inoffensive radio rock which isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I think my favourite track upon my first listen is 'nihilist blues' which drops the whole rock aspect completely. If their future was more tracks like 'nihilist blues' I wouldn't be too disappointed, I just want them to stop pandering to the not quite pop, not quite rock sound that comprises the majority of 'amo'. The band need to pick a direction and go for it, as being indecisive is what damages bands long term.

Exactly. The album feels like a mess of songs that were thrown together. Seems like the band doesn't even know what they want to do, or they are hesitant to do it. Just go for it. You're going to anger your old fans if you don't go back to hardcore, and you will anger your new fans if you do go back. Just try to do something and stick with it. 

Like there are 3 songs that sound like older BMTH, then some EDM songs, even some freestyle rap, some pop songs, and some soft rock. It's a mess. 

• Like 1

Don't tell my mate Joe, it's the one he isn't on. But it was also my entry point to the band, around the time Dick Witts was presenting the Oxford Road Show. (We need more TV like that and The Tube again - but not with Jools effin Holland)

R-524249-1304551825.jpeg.jpg

Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear. It won't surprise you lot to know that I've only just discovered this bloke. But I love it. Late 60s echoes of the likes of Jim Webb, Van Dyke Parks, Brian Wilson, Harry Nilsson, etc. 

He's also got a very pleasant Glen Campbell/Elton John voice. 

220px-I_Love_You__Honeybear.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear. It won't surprise you lot to know that I've only just discovered this bloke. But I love it. Late 60s echoes of the likes of Jim Webb, Van Dyke Parks, Brian Wilson, Harry Nilsson, etc. 

He's also got a very pleasant Glen Campbell/Elton John voice. 

220px-I_Love_You__Honeybear.jpg

One of my favourites Mike :thumb:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

never judge a book by its cover - not what I expected

Yeah, it looks heavier and more psychedelic than it is.

It's solid though.

This one sounds like a Led Zeppelin tribute.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

One of my favourites Mike :thumb:

My only criticism is the sweariness. I don't mind cuss words at all in, say, a punk track, but it kind of jars in all that lovely lush orhestrated balladry. I guess that's kind of deliberate, but it just seems a bit like lazy songwriting. Generally great stuff, though - I will investigate his other albums. 

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hell has indeed frozen over :mrgreen:

Nah, the first year or so of punk was really good. Exciting two minute singles, back to the spirit of early Stones, Kinks, etc. Of course it hasn't stood the test of time - I hardly ever want to play it now - but if had been allowed to simply reinvigorate the old wave instead of wiping them out (thanks to clearings in the woods like NME 'journalists'), I'd have been a lot happier. What it grew into in the 80s was (imho, natch) shite. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, have to admit, it's 'ok' but it's not what I was hoping it would be.

i can see it going in a rotation / storage crate on the next shuffle.

Got this. The album's all about this track. It is long though :)

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

ah no, see the words 'santana' and 'live' are two things that on their own would stop me picking that up, both combined on one record, I'd flip straight on by in the racks

a prejudice I still haven't choked on yet

Â