• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what kind of reaction there would be if it were Steve Bruce instead of Alex McLeish?

pretty much the same, id moan like ****, get told to grow up and get over the rivalry, and then have to explain its got nothing to do with the blues and everything to do with him being an absolutely shit manager

the blues link will be used as a scapegoat but the reality is no one wants mcleishs brand of football here

I still dont get it.

I understand the statement it makes perfect sense and is common sense, we wont let who someone is effect their application.

I just dont understand why.

For example if we have no money at all, go get Curbs or McClaren.

Why jeopardise all what you have built, i appreciate you wont be dictated too in regard to who is appointed and will interview as if everyone is equal but surely certain other things must come in to consideration.

Like err he is shit and got a premier league club relegated twice!

It just doesn't make any sense.

What is Villa email address? Anyone PM me it please.

Let me make one thing clear, I don't want McLeish.

One thing is for sure though if McLeish takes the job he has got some balls because its hard to imagine many managers would ever have started from such a negative position with the fans in a new job.

If he has any sense at all given the views of the fans even if offered the job he will turn it down.

They have only said they will interview him. It has to be a smokescreen, there is no way someone as successful RL would do this it would be professional suicide.

dont understand this smokescreen stuff anymore.

why make the club look small after been turned down by a wigan manager?

why then approach a poor manager from the rivals and have a slanging match with them all for..................a bloody smokescreen

doesnt make sense

If McLeish is appointed I think the board should sell up. I'm not one to make that kind of statement as I don't think not being able to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea for example means they should sell up, nor is it about them not listening to the fans. It's about how stupid an appointment this would be given a) the other gettable candidates out there B) the loss of revenue that would result from this and c) McLeish himself. His record in the Premier League is absolutely terrible and it also goes against what we were trying to do last season - move on to a more progressive passing style.

The most depressing thing is that Mark Hughes is a free agent at the end of the month.

Our board have massively **** up with this one.

Mark Hughes is the best available candidate for the job and as we don't have to pay him anything to be our manager would be perfect for Randy's ethos of scrimping manager-wise.

I feel sick at the thought of McLeish managing us next season.

Disappointed really.... I don't care he managed blues or even got them relegated- it's the way they played football... the most dull, boring team team in the entire league and that had nothing to do with the resources he had at brum as the General claims. Brum spent a decent amount in the prem and had attacking players to be far more imaginative then they were.

In a transition season where the fans support was already declining- only one sell out last season, i can't think of a worse manger to come in. It was going to be difficult for whoever came in as manager but for mcleish.... impossible to success in my opinion.

So McClaren was told he was no longer required to attend an interview after the board read the negative comments on him from villa fans

So WTF are they thinking interviewing Mcleish... this makes no sense at all, this is madness!!

I just cant get my head round this one, Houlier was appointed manager, and from the off, fans made their ill feelings known, in mid season fans were calling for his head, so much so, that a banner was unfurled from the Upper Holte End, Houlier Out (it was quickly removed by stewards). Houlier was clearly an unpopular choice among many fans to manage Villa. Today we are contemplating AM, I just cant believe it, to start a new season with another very unpopular manager, for many fans, is surely madness. However good or bad he is, he could turn out to be the finest manager we have had for years, BUT! What will happen if we have a poor start to the season, what will be heard and seen everywhere. I believe fans should not dictate who the next manager should be, but to have two very unpopular choices in a row is madness. Come next close season we could be looking for a third manager in as many years. Thats Continuity!!!!

This is a message to the fans of Aston Villa.

The Club has been reluctant to elaborate publicly on our search for a new manager and, in particular, to confirm or deny our interest in specific candidates.

This is not a new policy, indeed it is the approach that we have taken both in regard to managerial prospects, and potential player signings.

The Club understands that Alex McLeish is a free agent. We therefore intend to interview him imminently in order to make a decision regarding his candidacy to become Villa manager.

From the beginning of our search, we have set out criteria based on proven Premier League experience, compelling leadership, an ethic for hard work and, most importantly, sharing our vision for Aston Villa as we know that without a shared vision any appointment, however attractive, will ultimately fail.

Since 2006 we have approached our custodianship of Villa based on a broad-based strategy of significant investment to improve the squad, the training ground and Villa Park. We feel it is essential to select a manager who understands and supports our strategy for the Club to grow and to be sustainable. Otherwise, the natural tensions and competitive pressures that are involved with every season will ultimately cause instability and make continuity impossible.

We would, however, like to emphasise that in deciding to interview Alex McLeish, the Board has taken his tenure at our local rivals and the strong emotions associated with this very seriously.

We are determined, still, not to allow that three-and-a-half year post to disqualify him should he be the best candidate for the role of Aston Villa manager.

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT! :evil:

It has to be a smokescreen

Why would appointing a new manager need a smoke screen?

I just refuse to believe that Randy Lerner is stupid enough to appoint a manager who has taken the same side down twice recently.

It doesn't matter that it's Blues, it could be any side - the problem is that McLeish has proved himself to be a relegation battling manager, and not a successful one.

And my god, is his style of football like watching paint dry.

So McClaren was told he was no longer required to attend an interview after the board read the negative comments on him from villa fans

So WTF are they thinking interviewing Mcleish... this makes no sense at all, this is madness!!

That never happened!

I just dont understand all this...In order to be successful we need to be unified and whatever happens this appointment (if it goes ahead, we are only interviewing afterall) will not unify the fasit will alienate a big proportion of them, image 1st game of the season and those that turned up turn on mcleish and the players if we go one down, that will set the tone for the whole season.

I know Randy has high regard and respect for Mcleish, he has mentioned it before, but he needs to balance the business decision with a football decision for the benefit and future of the club.

i really dont know what to think about this, my head is telling me Randy is performing due diligence and interviewing a potential candidate..nothing more nothing less...i would expect he is/has done the same with half a dozen candidates.

Either that or he is managig te expectations of the fans....RL:"Fancy Mark Hughes?"....Fans:"erm, not sure, ancelotti is free, so no thanks" RL:"ok lets get mcleish then"....Fans:"wait! hughes would be great"