• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I would love it if they gave Poyet a chance - I worked down in Brighton for a few months and the guy is the messiah down there. I think he will turn out to be a top, top manager and is exactly the type we should go for - young, ambitious, played at the top level, ultra-professional, well-respected in the game and maybe could unearth a few gems from the lower divisions

THIS ^^^^^

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poyet won't leave. There's no reason for him to...just taken them up to the Champ, moving to a new stadium, getting valuable experience. Why would he do a Roy Keane and jump ship straight into the deep end? And not just any deep end, the Villa deep end where our fans get the knives out very quickly..

I'm not really sure what your getting at here or where this notion that Baines family is moving to London. If you've genuinly got inside info then fair enough.

See your pm's, don't want to derail this topic

On the 'Ambition of being a top side':

Anyone expecting us to miraculously transform into a 'top side' in the next 4 or 5 years needs to take a reality check. We havent been a top side for the best part of 20 years, so expecting it like it's some kind of god-given right is over-shooting the mark somewhat.

If it upsets anyone that we may not imminently be challenging for the top 4 because we appoint a manager like Hughes or Coyle, then said people are probably following the wrong club. We are an upper-mid table side, with aspirations of finishing higher. The likely hood of us breaking the top 4 is slim, and get's slimmer by the day with the advances of Man City.

What we need is a manager with a long term vision for the club, who can start building a footballing philosophy back into the way we approach matchdays. A manager who can stick around long enough to feed a footballing ethos right through the club, back to the Youth teams and into the senior squad.

Ancelotti would have been nice, but let's not kid ourselves, he would have been off to a champions league outfit at the first opportunity. Moyes isnt realistic, we were far short of Everton last year. Hughes or Coyle though would be about right; Good, young managers who should be able to achieve all they want to at a club like Villa.

your expectations of villa are obviously **** all

thats sad

why dont you like aston villa any more and want them to do well?

you describe both hughes and martinez as "good young managers"?

you obviously have a low level of what good is.

you suggest they would be long term visionaries who can create a football dynasty?

i think it is more realistic to think getting a top manager and giving a degree of financial backing to try and get towards the top 4 sounds slightly more realistic than living in a world of dreams and praying that a manager who has proved nothing can magically become some magical wizard of football management and elivate us by merely plucking youth team players and making them in to world beaters.

just because someone is not over 50 does not make them some awsome manager who will live each day in a claret and blue world sculpting the worlds best team and pledging both his life and soul to the club for eternity.

your probably following the wrong club.

Poyet won't leave. There's no reason for him to...just taken them up to the Champ, moving to a new stadium, getting valuable experience. Why would he do a Roy Keane and jump ship straight into the deep end? And not just any deep end, the Villa deep end where our fans get the knives out very quickly..

I think Villa would be massively attractive to Poyet. Villa are one of the top 20 sides in the world (Probably 20th lol!) and would be a brilliant stepping stone for someone who wants to manage at the top level

Are you really saying that a manager who has just moved from League 1 to the championship would not relish the chance of becoming Villa manager - I think he'd leap at the chance.

Just because a lot of the rumours are bullshit doesn't mean we're not trying to get Moyes. RL would have to be mad not to have DM as a serious candidate, and I don't think there's been a convincing denial by either club or Moyes himself.

I have no doubt Moyes is right up there as one of our top targets.

Whether we can convince Everton to deal and then convince Moyes to jump ship and come over is another thing altogether. Perhaps we are still trying as we speak?

We must have other targets though, I think Coyle will be one and Martinez obviously was another option we looked at.

Yeah, no reason to, apart from managing a team who's probably Englands 7th/8th biggest at this moment, top class players, internationals, money to spend and a chance in the Premier League. Yes, no reason. :?

Anyone expecting us to miraculously transform into a 'top side' in the next 4 or 5 years needs to take a reality check. We havent been a top side for the best part of 20 years, so expecting it like it's some kind of god-given right is over-shooting the mark somewhat.

If it upsets anyone that we may not imminently be challenging for the top 4 because we appoint a manager like Hughes or Coyle, then said people are probably following the wrong club. We are an upper-mid table side, with aspirations of finishing higher. The likely hood of us breaking the top 4 is slim, and get's slimmer by the day with the advances of Man City.

What we need is a manager with a long term vision for the club, who can start building a footballing philosophy back into the way we approach matchdays. A manager who can stick around long enough to feed a footballing ethos right through the club, back to the Youth teams and into the senior squad.

Ancelotti would have been nice, but let's not kid ourselves, he would have been off to a champions league outfit at the first opportunity. Moyes isnt realistic, we were far short of Everton last year. Hughes or Coyle though would be about right; Good, young managers who should be able to achieve all they want to at a club like Villa.

your expectations of villa are obviously **** all

thats sad

why dont you like aston villa any more and want them to do well?

you describe both hughes and martinez as "good young managers"?

you obviously have a low level of what good is.

you suggest they would be long term visionaries who can create a football dynasty?

i think it is more realistic to think getting a top manager and giving a degree of financial backing to try and get towards the top 4 sounds slightly more realistic than living in a world of dreams and praying that a manager who has proved nothing can magically become some magical wizard of football management and elivate us by merely plucking youth team players and making them in to world beaters.

just because someone is not over 50 does not make them some awsome manager who will live each day in a claret and blue world sculpting the worlds best team and pledging both his life and soul to the club for eternity.

your probably following the wrong club.

Who do you think the club will be able to attract then?

BTW - talk about putting words into my mouth, not cool. 'I dont like Aston Villa and dont want them to do well'. That's quite right, I've just renewed my season ticket so I can relish watching them underachieve for another season.

Top teams get the top managers, I dont think we're any more of a top team than Everton are, thus I dont expect us to be getting anyone like Moyes or Ancelotti.

Whether you believ/agree with him or not I don't thinnk our Toffee friend has said anything to warrant abuse. See bickster above for a perfectly reasonable and civil response.

If that was aimed at me, i don't believe i gave him any abuse, I just questioned his motive for being here.

Saying he does not intend to wind people up does not mean he won't ultimately wind people up.

I don't object to opposing fans coming onto the site and adding to the discussion, but in these time's where emotions run high it's inevitable that fans of a team who have the manager most Villa fans would want in place are not going to come on here and just say 'take him'.

I know that if the tables were reversed and we had a manager we were happy with that was wanted by another team I would not be happy about it. I would not though join another clubs forum with the aim of telling everybody how wrong they were, and claim to be here due to concern that they were wasting money betting on their man.

When emotions run high, balanced reasonable debate is nearly impossible between opposing sides.

Not gonna happen. We need a young up and coming manager. In fact, id rather we got a young up and coming manager. Poyet is a good shout.

I think Villa would be massively attractive to Poyet. Villa are one of the top 20 sides in the world (Probably 20th lol!) and would be a brilliant stepping stone for someone who wants to manage at the top level

Are you really saying that a manager who has just moved from League 1 to the championship would not relish the chance of becoming Villa manager - I think he'd leap at the chance.

Yes.

As mentioned, he'd be out of his depth and he knows it.

Top teams get the top managers, I dont think we're any more of a top team than Everton are, thus I dont expect us to be getting anyone like Moyes or Ancelotti.
But what if we have an ambition to be better than them? Some managers are looking up to the challenge, some need stability and some need high profile clubs. We do not know anything about current Randy's ambitions, do we?

Just because a lot of the rumours are bullshit doesn't mean we're not trying to get Moyes. RL would have to be mad not to have DM as a serious candidate, and I don't think there's been a convincing denial by either club or Moyes himself.

I agree with this

But what if we have an ambition to be better than them? Some managers are looking up to the challenge, some need stability and some need high profile clubs. We do not know anything about current Randy's ambitions, do we?

Then fine, go for said managers. I'll be delighted if we get Moyes, but im not expecting us to. And by the same token, I shant be frustrated with the club if we go for a manager like Moyes and he knocks us back, because I dont see why he wouldnt.

I'm expecting us to get someone like Hughes or Coyle, which i'll be happy with. Anything better would be a masterstroke by Lerner.

Great post !

Who do you think the club will be able to attract then?

BTW - talk about putting words into my mouth, not cool. 'I dont like Aston Villa and dont want them to do well'. That's quite right, I've just renewed my season ticket so I can relish watching them underachieve for another season.

where have i put words in your mouth? i have read what you have written and on the contents of your post my conclusion is you are happy to not have a good or top manager. if you are happy to want a lesser manager then the logical presumption is you do not want us to be a good or top team.

if you cant see that for once a unique set of circumstance puts us in a fantastic position to for once get a top manager then i can understand why your expectations are so low.

there are SEVERAL top managers floating about at the moment, either not in a job or look like they may want a new challenge

we have cleared out most of the high earners at our club which one presumes means randy is again willing to invest in top tier players as long as they are automatic first teamers

there is no world cup / euro championships so the top managers are not on tv contracts commentating

the club despite selling young ( 95% nailed on) still have some top players at the club and some very good young players breaking into the first team squad

the new manager would have the entire summer to plan and act on improving the club and enforcing his brand and ethos to the players.

he will get the chance to **** off anyone he wants out of the club and will have little if any interferance from the board so long as the financial side of things are kept in check

and the chance to manage one of the top teams in english football

all of those things are POSITIVES for our club and while under normal circumstances a top manager such as van gaal may not look twice, people like him ARE available and may look at the whole package and conclude it is a new challenge to put us back up in the top 6 and above each year.

if it were 1 day before the season and we suddenly had no manager or half way through the season then the idea of getting a coyle or martinez as a last ditch gamble would probably be justified. why on gods green earth with the circumstances we are in , when for once the timing is in our favour to get a top manager, would we pick up an average or poor manager?

the generals comment about 'fitting the club' well what a cop out that is

whats to say a top manager doesnt fit the club? to me that is another example to trying to lowere everyones expectations.

the board have done great off the pitch and supported the managers on it, so why not continue doing that with a top manager?

it would make no financial sense and very very little footballing sense to risk it all on some romantic notion.

success breeds success, a top man comes in we improve and get 6th or even 5th and they leave? then we are in a stonger position to attract another top manager.

appoint average or poor dont be suprised if we have to wait another 10 years for the chance of getting a decent manager due to the poor league positions we find ourselves in.