• Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa_Insider AstonVillaInsider

When Martinez was staying, whelan had nothing to lose by going public. Complimented AVFC but secures PR coup, boosts fan morale and st sales

This make a lot of sense to me, something I eluded too.

The key was always the only official AVFC statement to combat what had been started by Wheelan going public. In that statement it specifically said that Martinez had already agreed a deal with Wigan earlier that week, i.e. before all this supposed friday deadline and the time he was "allowed to speak to us" and "given his blessing to come to us".

The spin coming out of wheelan with all the manager could go to a top 6 side in europe and all that shit was a little stroke of genius for him if you think about it. Must have made the Wigan fans feel like "wigan 1 - villa 0".

who do you want, woodytom?

I wanted Martinez mate. Got quite excited about him actually. A poor mans Mourinho :D

Right now, theres nobody that excites me!

you would prefer martinez over moyes? that makes no sense to me at all

P.S. I'll be over the moon with Moyes, he was my number 1 all along before Ancelotti clouded my judgement.

Ancelotti would be my true number 1 but Moyes is my realistic number 1.

Aston Martinez no more - Villa's treble HELL - Daily Star

RANDY LERNER is used to getting it in the neck from his Cleveland Browns fans.

And Randy Lerner is in danger of suffering the same treatment at Villa Park.

No matter how hard Aston Villa’s PR machine tries to spin it, the decision of Roberto Martinez to turn down the manager’s job is one of the most embarrassing slaps in the face the club have suffered in decades.

Chairman Lerner might have feared grief if he had flown in the face of fan opinion and appointed Steve McClaren as Gerard Houllier’s successor.

But he is likely to face a whole lot more over his increasingly farcical hunt for a new boss.

Villa keep putting out official statements insisting they are determined to stay true to “heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base”.

Yet Lerner appears to be making one gaffe after another in the search to bolster an investment which stands at close on £200m since he arrived in 2006.

The American’s decision to cross the pond and invest £65m to buy out Doug Ellis and take a shot at the Premier League in 2006 gave him a wonderful relief from the misery of watching his NFL franchise lose season after season.

In the nine years since Lerner inherited the Browns following the death of his father in 2002, they have ended the season with a winning record – more victories than defeats – just twice.

The one managerial decision he has got right was the appointment of Martin O’Neill in 2006, but that was a no-brainer and much of the spadework was done by Deadly Doug.

Villa fans could not wait to see the back of the octogenarian Ellis five years ago, but in the last 12 months some of them may have cast envious glances back to the past in their darkest moments.

Everything has unravelled at Villa Park since the day in August last year when O’Neill confirmed the cracks in the relationship with his owner by walking out on the club.

After three successive sixth-place finishes, forays into the Europa League, a Carling Cup final and an FA Cup semi-final, O’Neill felt he was not getting the financial backing he needed to keep up the club’s progress.

He went with a flea in his ear when General Charles Krulak, Lerner’s mouthpiece and right-hand man, labelled O’Neill selfish and not a team player.

How they could do with O’Neill now – because everything that has followed since he walked out the door has been what Lerner may call one bum call after another, starting with the crazy decision to appoint Houllier as his replacement.

Houllier’s subsequent exit on health grounds after nine months came at a cost of almost £2.5m to Lerner.

The Frenchman, 63, was a man out of time even when he arrived, casually mentioning at his unveiling that he could not start work for two weeks.

It was an accident waiting to happen.

Villa fans quickly wanted him out, and he did himself no favours with an extraordinary love-in with his former club Liverpool after a 3-0 hammering at Anfield in December.

Villa have been through four bosses in less than 12 months – O’Neill, Kevin MacDonald, Houllier and Gary McAllister.

They appear no closer to naming a fifth after the debacle of the last few days.

The crass comments Villa made about the manner of Mark Hughes’ walk-out on Fulham was a foot-in-mouth episode, especially when they had not fully investigated the reasons for the resignation.

Carlo Ancelotti was “sounded out” and politely did not laugh.

Then Rafael Benitez was spoken to and was apparently keen, until he found out that the financial plans in place for squad building this summer did not meet his own lofty requirements.

Throw in Villa’s decision to cancel a scheduled interview with McClaren at less than 24 hours’ notice because they had “got their man” and it is little wonder that the credibility of Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner has taken a battering.

Villa are consoling themselves that they only missed out on Martinez because of his special relationship with Wigan owner Dave Whelan.

Perhaps they could have saved themselves embarrassment by finding that out first and scrubbing Martinez from the top of their list.

His decision was swiftly followed by clear rebuffs from David Moyes and Owen Coyle, who made it clear Villa would be wasting their time making an approach.

The word is going round other targets that Lerner is cutting back his financial commitments.

Gareth Barry has been sold. James Milner has been sold and Ashley Young will be joining the exodus in the next few days.

Brad Friedel has left for Tottenham, while Stewart Downing may be another on his way as he goes looking for Champions League football.

Before making another move, Lerner should make sure the Villa Park entrance sign is as clearly labelled as the exit.

lawl.

Typical bollock and spin from a shit paper. Their comments are so full of holes its untrue. Apparently its better to keep players that don't want to stay and run down their contracts. Following that logic we would piss away £50m in fees.

The media's biggest problem is they are guessing what Villa are up to and don't like the fact there is not a clear story.

i think it sums things up pretty well actually.

Unfortunately a good 60-70% of that is fact, and the rest pretty fair and/or likely.

I wanted Martinez mate. Got quite excited about him actually. A poor mans Mourinho :D

I like Martinez as well. He'll be a very good manager in time.

The only thing I'd question was whether he was a bit of a bottler? This was his opportunity, his chance to make the step up and he chose loyalty to a club and chairman who, lets be honest, will never be more than they are now. Commendable, of course, but the wrong decision for a young up-and-coming manager to make.

I think we need someone stronger than that at the moment. We're at a bit of a crossroads as a club and we want someone with a big character to take it in hand.

Moyes is the perfect fit for Villa at this point in time. From Moyes point of view he must be thinking he will get typecast if he doesnt move soon. I think he had an eye on the man u job at one time but not now as times have changed.

Moyes is different league to Martinez.

He's turned a club with **** all money to spend apart from money they've been able to make from selling into a top 8 club and a club everyone hates playing against (in a 'Everton are a good team' way)

You are totally deluded. MON did this too, and we gave up on him cause he could go no further, What makes you think Moyes is this exciting manager he cant and wont improve us.

he's hardly got shite playes

Arteta

Osman

Cahill

Jagielka

Bains

Beckford

Saha

Rdwell

Fellaini

Many would argue he should be doing better with these players.

Our team is no better than Evertons, if we are happy with top 8 go for it. But for me we will just be equal to Everton if we take Moyes.

Also he is hardly worth the & million quid buy him out of his contract.

Now Hughes im 50 50. After all the talk he will have alot to prove.

Out of the list of players.

Arteta - Signed £2 million.

Osman - Youth academy

Cahill - £1.5 million.

Jagielka - £4 million.

Baines - £5 million.

Beckford - Free transfer (and from League 1...)

Saha - (I can't find anything about it, believed to be £3-4 million?)

Rodwell - Academy ...

so out of 8 key players you mention, only around 15 million ish has been spent on all those players.

It's only Fellaini out of that group he spent large sums on.

Jagielka, Arteta, Baines would walk into our team (and be 3 of our best players) and he spent £11 million between the three of them.

He did do a similar job to O'Neill ....you're right and I was quite content with O'Neill's results and the way we were going on the pitch, the problem was the wages ...which Moyes seems capable of managing to.

Given more money on a regular basis, I reckon he'd do a fine job here and take us back challenging the top 4-6 IMO.

Well, personality for a start!

When we were linked with Martinez everyone was saying why? he hasnt won anything??

Why arent we asking the same question with Moyes??

He's turned a club with **** all money to spend apart from money they've been able to make from selling into a top 8 club and a club everyone hates playing against (in a 'Everton are a good team' way)

You are totally deluded. MON did this too, and we gave up on him cause he could go no further, What makes you think Moyes is this exciting manager he cant and wont improve us.

Arteta

Osman

Cahill

Jagielka

Bains

Beckford

Saha

Rdwell

Fellaini

Our team is no better than Evertons, if we are happy with top 8 go for it. But for me we will just be equal to Everton if we take Moyes.

Osman - Youth academy

Cahill - £1.5 million.

Jagielka - £4 million.

Baines - £5 million.

Rodwell - Academy ...

so out of 8 key players you mention, only around 15 million ish has been spent on all those players.

Jagielka, Arteta, Baines would walk into our team (and be 3 of our best players) and he spent £11 million between the three of them.

He did do a similar job to O'Neill ....you're right and I was quite content with O'Neill's results and the way we were going on the pitch, the problem was the wages ...which Moyes seems capable of managing to.

Given more money on a regular basis, I reckon he'd do a fine job here and take us back challenging the top 4-6 IMO.

totally agree think he will be a great manager for us much better than RM

Arteta

Osman

Cahill

Jagielka

Bains

Beckford

Saha

Rdwell

Fellaini

Osman - Youth academy

Cahill - £1.5 million.

Jagielka - £4 million.

Baines - £5 million.

Rodwell - Academy ...

He won't cum to us look at the players they have to us n randy not giving more than 30 million for transfers after youngs transfers why rafa didn't come

Well, personality for a start!

When we were linked with Martinez everyone was saying why? he hasnt won anything??

Why arent we asking the same question with Moyes??

Moyes has had everton consistently in the top 8 for donkeys years.

The only candidate to have won anything is Steve , yet he gets dismissed out of hand.