• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Is that how low we've fallen?

Surely every manager has to start somewhere ?

If by your logic teams should only ever appoint someone who's been a success in the Premier League where would we be then ?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that how low we've fallen?
I swear this little phrase is now just used by people to describe anything they don't like.

Would rather me say "we're on the up", "we're too big to go down", "we may still get Ancelotti!!!!11oneone".

:winkold:

I don't believe I've said any of that. :? I just don't see how praising achievements in the lower leagues shows that we've "fallen".

He saved Swansea from dropping out of the Football League and got them to 8th in the Championship...

How is that anything to do with the Premier League? Are we now praising talents on lower leagues? Is that how low we've fallen?

It's all relative. If we are to evaluate him as a prospective candidate then you can only look at what he has done so far - and within the scope of the roles he's had he's done a very good job under some very tight restrictions. We can then judge whether this demonstrates an aptitude to push on and deliver results at a higher level where the brief from his employer will be different to those he received at Swansea and Wigan.

The fact that the guy has accomplished a good deal more than others have at the age of 37 perhaps is an indication that he is a special talent and has given Mr. Lerner the motivation to look at why and how he has been able to do what he has done and whether he could translate that at Aston Villa where expectations will be different.

Rather than a sign of 'how low we have fallen', it's probably evidence of a highly experienced Chairman and CEO looking beyond the obvious headliners at who may actually be best for the job in the long-term.

I'm not saying that Martinez is the best choice or even my preferred option, but there are very good footballing reasons why we should be considering him as an option.

He saved Swansea from dropping out of the Football League and got them to 8th in the Championship...

Although I like him and would be happy with him, this is simply not true.

Bryan flynn saved the football league status, then Kenny Jackett took them to League 1 and missed out on the playoffs when they were cruising by Jan.

Martinez then won league One, got them with inches of championship playoffs twice then moved to Wigan.

How is that anything to do with the Premier League? Are we now praising talents on lower leagues? Is that how low we've fallen?

Didn't Alex Ferguson go from Aberdeen to Man Utd once upon a time? I assume if we'd have been in for him all those years ago you'd have been one of the people claiming he was beneath us

If he had the same achievements as Ferguson did at at Aberdeen, I would more than welcome him. But the fact is, he doesn't. No where near.

Tell you what then..... lets all turn up at VP next season, boo Martinez (IF he's appointed) and boo the team as well. Wait until we conceed a goal and run onto the pitch rip up our season tickets and **** off to St. Andrews to watch some proper football.

He's been managing WIGAN! Lowest wage bill, lowest attendance, lowest turnover, lowest transfer budget in the PL.

He's managed to make us look pretty **** stupid at times though hasn't he? Even when St. Martin was in charge.

Grow up FFS.

What suprises is me is that after all the comments about hammering the board, mainly Randy. Nobody has hammered him for sending a letter to Dave Whelan.

In this day and age, he could have faxed, emailed, text or even rang!!!

Can't believe Randy does not embrace technology, we all know how shit Royal Mail is.

RANDY OUT

No, I'm praising his European achievements, which is abit better than the top division (as it were at the time).

Fair enough, he did get the Aberdeen job off the back of winning the first division though. There isn't much difference between his achievements at the time and Martinez.

Some of the comments on here are baffling. If martinez does become manager it is villa, for him to succeed it is vital that the fans get behind him!

Agreed! And I will back him and the players fully as well as propagate for the Club to give him time. If he is appointed we have to accept that the risk taken includes the risk of getting relegated. Id still back him though as it would be utterly pointless to start this managerial hunt over. If that happens we might as well give him the chance of bouncing back up and really build his own team from scratch. The issue is getting the ones calling for his appointment to stand by their words and back both him and the club through tough times, be it relegation or mid-table mediocrity. He needs to be given time if he comes.

We might as well aim for Di Matteo as well if people think a young promising people who play attractive football is the way forward. He's no worse than Roberto Martinez. He got the sack because obviously West Brom didn't give him enough time (despite promoting them and beating teams like Arsenal away), where as Dave Whelan has given Martinez all the time in the world and it paid off. The same logic could have applied to Matteo too. It's fair to say Hodgson did a better job at West Brom and I'm sure he would have done the same at Wigan if the same scenario arrived.

So how about it. Di Matteo as well? Or am I sensing double standards just because his name isn't floating about?

I would say Di Matteo and Martinez are very similar

Correct.

They both have a tan.

What suprises is me is that after all the comments about hammering the board, mainly Randy. Nobody has hammered him for sending a letter to Dave Whelan.

In this day and age, he could have faxed, emailed, text or even rang!!!

Can't believe Randy does not embrace technology, we all know how shit Royal Mail is.

RANDY OUT

:clap:

Didn't Alex Ferguson go from Aberdeen to Man Utd once upon a time? I assume if we'd have been in for him all those years ago you'd have been one of the people claiming he was beneath us

If he had the same achievements as Ferguson did at at Aberdeen, I would more than welcome him. But the fact is, he doesn't. No where near.

What about David Moyes - Everton got him from Preston after he did well there.

Harry Redknapp had to do well with Bournemouth first.

Stop this JG or Wenger comparison. Football has moved way on since the last 10-15 years.

Terrible appointment if true.

I know how big we are and how big we ain't I'm sick of being a feeder 'nearly' club. I want us to push on and I'm sorry but when u got managers with the credentials like raga or rijkard clearly interested why are we not taking this opportunity to take em. They leave after 2 years everyone is saying. So. Think of it as where we might be in 2 years under thief guideance. They might not need a reason to leave.

Mid table team again. The 3 years under mon were fun and we won't see days like that for some time.

RM is not ready for this step up. He might end up being a top manager fair play if he does. But Aston Villa right now are not right for him.

I trusted RL in this thought he would pull a rabbit out the hat. He hasn't. Yes he may not be r manager YET but he will be.

Seems the Browns fan were right with him. (I'm not saying the mans not done great things for the club before you all go on one)

Hadn't Ferguson been managing for about 4 years when he took over Aberdeen? Also, at the time, Aberdeen were a much bigger club than Swansea were when Martinez took charge of them.

We need to put things into perspective.

Nice guy: Fergie - No : Winner Yes

Nice guy: Martinez - Yes : Winner No

I hope this helps.

And you base this on what? The fact you quite like Martinez and you don't like Fergy?

Engage brain before posting.

Nice guy: Fergie - No : Winner Yes

Nice guy: Martinez - Yes : Winner No

I hope this helps.

Fergie: about 100-yrs-old

Martinez: been in management less than VTers have been playing FM