fifa 12

fifa09don

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap.

I've only just found out that tapping L1 when you've got th eball will send the player you're facing on a run!

I thought the only way to make people make runs was holding L1 when you made a pass (i.e a 1-2 pass)

This may explain why I find it so hard to break down the computer's defence!!

Whenever I play a head to head season or Ultimate team game everything except the radar disappears and the commentary stops. Then at half time the game freezes. Any idea why it keeps happening?
Probably be a problem with your disc, I used to have a similar problem on a really old Fifa for the PS2.

If you're on xbox, tried putting the game on your hard drive?

hate to say it ryan, but sounds like exactly what used to happen to mine (granted it was FIFA 10 at the time) before my PS3 packed up completely. Brace yourself.

Holy crap.

I've only just found out that tapping L1 when you've got th eball will send the player you're facing on a run!

I thought the only way to make people make runs was holding L1 when you made a pass (i.e a 1-2 pass)

Ive been playing online and keep getting beat. Can't break people down at all. Thought it was odd that my players never overlap. This might change everything!

What's the equivalent button on the Xbox?

Holy crap.

Ive been playing online and keep getting beat. Can't break people down at all. Thought it was odd that my players never overlap. This might change everything!

What's the equivalent button on the Xbox?

LB I would think.

It helps a lot. I've been using it against the computer on career mode and basically I'm now kicking the computer's arse every time.

Funny thing is I don't use it directly most of the time. Most I use it is to either make the player in front of you make a run and the defender following him opens up loads of room for you to run into.

And secondly, make your full back go on a run when your defensive midfielder has it, then by the time you get the ball to your winger, the full back has made a glorious overlap and it opens everything up.

Such a small thing to realise, but it's helped a lot.

There's a tactical option that may help you, too. If you increase the 'passing' bar under 'chance creation', your players will automatically make more runs (overlapping full backs, etc). It can be risky, though - your players will need decent stamina and are also more vulnerable to being caught out of position.

I was extremely tempted to edit my previous post to 'Stevo - I've emailed you a photo of my cock' :)

Picked up head-to-head seasons again yesterday after leaving it during my first season in Div 3, following successive promotions since starting but recording 1 win, 2 draws and 2 losses in my first five games of the season. I somehow managed to get the 13 points I needed for promotion to the second division, but am yet to start that. Also got to my first cup final, but lost on penalties to a guy with an awful connection. It was incredibly frustrating to play.

Think I'm going to prioritise improving against the computer, for now. I did have a good career game with Villa on World Class, but I haven't been on that for months and played co-operatively offline with a friend recently and wasn't great, so fired up a new season with Dortmund.

I've been trying to play online but I'm absolutely crap. Made it to Div 8 and got mullered every time. The opposition always seem to spot my passes and intercept them, they always seem to have too many men back for me to break down and they always have men in space when they attack me.

Help - where am I going wrong? Any tips like Troglodyte's (fnarr!) to help me out?

I'm definitely no expert and have been on the receiving end of a few Ultimate Team mullerings myself lately!

It could be a number of things, though. Do you usually play against the computer quite a lot? I find playing against another person a completely different experience and really struggle to adjust between the two sometimes. It's much more frenetic online. Everyone has their own style, but I think most good players press well - I find myself using RB/R1 a lot (whereas I avoid it if playing the computer) but always ensure that the player I'm controlling is in a position to cut out the pass/move backwards to fill in any gaps, whereas the secondary player will press the man with the ball. This, coupled with frequent changes in player to cut off as many options as possible, is usually effective in winning he ball. However, if it's not done well, you can get ripped to pieces by dragging your men out of possession.

If you want to have more men back, have a play with the tactics so that your defence presses much less. They'll sit deeper, but this will help to prevent big gaps from appearing in behind.

I think attacking is more difficult to explain. A lot of people don't seem willing to play the ball backwards, though: a quick pass back to a player behind you will often open up a lot of space for a ball further forward, especially as most people do press the ball quite a lot. Use L1/LB when you pass to make your players run, if you don't already, which will also either open up space as a man tracks the run, or give you the option to play a through ball if your runner breaks free.

A fairly effective trick that will work quite well against most players in lower divisions is to play down the wing and cut into the box. If you have a fairly skilful player, get close to the byline then attack the box from the side, pressing X (square on the Playstation, I think) then A (X on PS3) quickly after to perform a running dummy and cut inside your man. This is only one of many techniques that may or may not help, though.

An obvious thing to is just to play around with the team you choose and the formations that you play. You need to find teams that suit how you want to play (unless you adapt your style to that of a certain side). Just don't be put off if you get hammered a couple of times while you're getting used to them - there are some bloody good (sad) people that play Fifa online! Experience will help, too. A mate of mine always played Fifa round at my house and I'd soundly thrash him nine times out of ten; now he has the game at home he has much more composure and simply chooses the better ball to play automatically and more quickly.

I'm definitely no expert and have been on the receiving end of a few Ultimate Team mullerings myself lately!

It could be a number of things, though. Do you usually play against the computer quite a lot? I find playing against another person a completely different experience and really struggle to adjust between the two sometimes. It's much more frenetic online. Everyone has their own style, but I think most good players press well - I find myself using RB/R1 a lot (whereas I avoid it if playing the computer) but always ensure that the player I'm controlling is in a position to cut out the pass/move backwards to fill in any gaps, whereas the secondary player will press the man with the ball.

See I don't really press, I do in the right situation but I'm happy to sit behind the ball and wait to win it back, pressing on this can leave a lot of space behind.

Another thing is to not actually tackle much, whether it's slide tackling or the normal tackle especially out wide, just hold LT (L2 if you're on PS3?) and stand your ground, call in another player to help crowd him out when you can.

I agree with Trog.

Against other people you can afford to "spam" the R1/RB button. BUt if you do that against the computer they are clinical at exploiting it.

But I agree that you don't really need to tackle that much. The only time I really tackle is when they get right to the edge of thebox or in it. BUt even then I usually just select the player nearest and contain them (hold X) which more or less means they can't beat your man, unless they're very competent at tricks etc. Your player should win the ball if they do try and go past you.

BUt further up field it's all about intercepting the ball. Using the R1 button sparingly to close down their men and use your player selected to mark the other men and eventually win it.

Keep them guessing when you're on the wing too. Don't always cut inside, or always go wide, and a really good trick when you're about to receive the ball on the wing is hold RB/R1 and let it run through, a lot of the time you get straight behind the FB.

Yep agree with that too. Also very effective playing a straight ball into your striker's feet.

So say your CM has it. Just play a hard pass to your striker's feet, hold R1 so he dummies it.

If their defender stands off then most likely they'll easily collect the ball. But a lot of people press with their defender as soon as it looks like your striker will get it. If they do that, quite often they run straight past the ball and you're in.

Also, try playing the ball into your striker's feet an dusing the right stick to do a clever first touch. So for example, with your striker's back to goal, play the ball to his feet and flick the right stick towards the goal before he receives it. He'll do a clever turn and quite often it gets you past the defender, again especially if they are pressing.

That's how I score a LOT of goals against the computer. Just use the first touch into space on the edge of the box and hammer it home.

Â