Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 30/05/2021 at 13:27, sidcow said:

Why are "quality" burgers sold in shops for bbqs etc so thick? I don't want or like really thick burgers, I think they're actually quite unpleasant.  Most of the time I reckon half the thickness would be ideal but you can't seem to buy anything between those 5mm thick birds eye frozen and golf ball thickness don't seem to exist. 

I would say the absolute ideal thickness is the McDonalds quarter pounder with cheese burger. 

Yep, can end up like eating a dry meatball and you should never be eating a bit of a burger that doesn't contain any meat, the pattie should over hang the bun and be thin enough that you can grill it quick enough to get the char on the outside without burning it, thin enough to cook through without drying it out 

• Like 3

What attracts people to different types of house? Personally I can't think of anything worse than living in a brand new house on a housing estate. 

I get that they're efficient, bright and airy, clean lines etc but they're generally packed in like sardines, flimsy, thin walls, micro gardens.  But some people love that and wouldn't consider an old house. 

We prefer traditional houses, which are generally rock solid, usually more characterful, have bigger rooms and gardens.  Yet some people would never consider that. 

I just wonder what drives some people to be such polar opposites.  I know some will go with the flow but there are definitely many who will only go one way on this. 

I would consider a brand new home if I was lucky enough to build it to my specific requirements on its own plot. 

You can see the decline in quality between our first home which was 1923 and our current home which was 1960, but still traditional design before the 60's / 70's Square boxes took over, but it's still rock solid compared to any modern house I've been in. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, can end up like eating a dry meatball and you should never be eating a bit of a burger that doesn't contain any meat, the pattie should over hang the bun and be thin enough that you can grill it quick enough to get the char on the outside without burning it, thin enough to cook through without drying it out 

God yes, the acres of unfilled bread with a golf ball of meat in the middle. 

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

• Like 2

I've got quite in to hot dogs recently, feels like it's easier to do more with them at home than a burger, they're cheaper (just...) and I can eat more meaning I can play with the variance 

6 cheap frankfurters, some decent bread and then 3 each between me and the missus changing the sauce / salad combo on each one, or chilli dog

The decent bread is the hard bit

One bored afternoon at work a few years ago, I went around the office annoying people by asking them to rank the following burgers;

• Fast food
  • Pub/restaurant burgers
  • BBQ burgers
  • Rustlers (or any other microwavable dog food patties)
  • Burger Van

The results were quite varying. Pub/restaurant burgers were usually too high up the list for my liking. They're usually too dry and far too thick.

• Like 1

Throw in chip shop for the weird deep fat fryer ones 

The other question you should have asked which is the absolute key - do you toast the bun? 

If the answer is no then it'll ruin any chip shop / burger van / bbq burger, I'm sure it even used to say it on rustlers packets, microwave the burger toast the bun, makes them close to ok

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Throw in chip shop for the weird deep fat fryer ones 

The other question you should have asked which is the absolute key - do you toast the bun? 

If the answer is no then it'll ruin any chip shop / burger van / bbq burger, I'm sure it even used to say it on rustlers packets, microwave the burger toast the bun, makes them close to ok

I've never in my life tried a Rustler burger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've never in my life tried a Rustler burger.

They're OK in the context that it's one of them, a pot noodle or a ginsters or a tin of all day breakfast, it's shit but you know that already before you take a bite 

The tesco meal deal means there shouldn't really be a need for them but if you're just going to the local corner shop then there's not much in there that will be better

Can't remember the last time I had a full microwave meal though, I don't touch them

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They're OK in the context that it's one of them, a pot noodle or a ginsters or a tin of all day breakfast, it's shit but you know that already before you take a bite 

Ginsters every time from those options

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Me too probably depending on the flavour, if it's tikka, peppered steak then yes but I'm not a fan of the cornish pasty and definitely not the chicken and mushroom one 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I was just going to say that's not the company I would place a Ginsters into.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was just gong to say that's not the company I would place a Ginsters into.

I would

A >£2 savoury snack for lunch that you can get from a corner shop rather than needing to go to a supermarket 

Ginsters, rustlers or pot noodle seem the obvious ones to me 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

What attracts people to different types of house? Personally I can't think of anything worse than living in a brand new house on a housing estate. 

I get that they're efficient, bright and airy, clean lines etc but they're generally packed in like sardines, flimsy, thin walls, micro gardens.  But some people love that and wouldn't consider an old house. 

We prefer traditional houses, which are generally rock solid, usually more characterful, have bigger rooms and gardens.  Yet some people would never consider that. 

I just wonder what drives some people to be such polar opposites.  I know some will go with the flow but there are definitely many who will only go one way on this. 

I would consider a brand new home if I was lucky enough to build it to my specific requirements on its own plot. 

You can see the decline in quality between our first home which was 1923 and our current home which was 1960, but still traditional design before the 60's / 70's Square boxes took over, but it's still rock solid compared to any modern house I've been in. 

I agree. Too many new estates that build houses with such a high density, they remind me of rabbit hutches. No thanks.

My brother used to live in Chester just across the river and his road was typical coronation st type. Solid houses that went back a long way, had character and were bloody warm too. Sold it for a fortune too. No back garden, just a yard but the inside was like the tardis, especially the kitchen.

Give me a house like that any time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I guess "often wonder" is a stretch. But whenever it is summer I always wonder why sunscreen is so bloody expensive. 

Just bought two bottles under orders from the girlfriend, one for body and one for face (genuinly didn't know people differentiated, but I digress). I got 3 for 2, and despite getting one for free and 10% off the other two, it still set me back £ 45 for some mayonnaise with heavy metals.  

Wow, that’s far, far more expensive that here. You can get branded sunscreen for about £5-7 a bottle.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Completely agree (both on the wondering, and on the preference for older, more characterful houses!).

Adding music taste to that.  What determines what people enjoy?  The variance is absolutely vast and what some people love, others will hate.

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Adding music taste to that.  What determines what people enjoy?  The variance is absolutely vast and what some people love, others will hate.

My Way or the Highway To Hell

Â