Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

My parents bought me the Readers Digest DIY manual.  I got SO many tips from that it's untrue.

Yep, that's the one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

There are two solutions to this

1) tell the garage to hand tighten your  nuts

2) buy a telescopic wheel brace - £8 from Screwfix

7182R_P&$prodImageMedium$

Or 3) Buy your own air pressure driver thing. I did. Wasn’t that much. Best money I ever spent. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

You people that have no clue how to change a plug. What do you do if you buy a new light fitting for the ceiling?

Well I don't own a house for one thing. It's not up to me to buy light fittings.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well I don't own a house for one thing. It's not up to me to buy light fittings.

Neither do I, I buy new lights and fit them. In fact I bought a new light for the back room downstairs only this Sunday, it required removing the rose and directly wiring to the ceiling. Not owning the house had no bearing on this

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Neither do I, I buy new lights and fit them. In fact I bought a new light for the back room downstairs only this Sunday, it required removing the rose and directly wiring to the ceiling. Not owning the house had no bearing on this

I've never had a rental contract that didn't specify making no changes to fixtures and fittings. Obviously they may exist, but I haven’t had one. 

My DIY skills were such , that I remember ringing my mate once cause I’d changed a ligtbulb and was proud of myself .

but over the last few years I have got better , wouldn’t take on anything major but I can do general handyman stuff around the house 

Plumbing is FAR easier nowadays with the invention of push fit connectors.

I’ll do basic plumbing, change plugs, light fittings, basic woodwork like skirting boards, I’ve hung a few doors.

Having a 3 year old house I’ve not needed to do anything for a while. Only decorating and changing a few light fittings.

Edited by Genie

16 hours ago, bickster said:

There are two solutions to this

1) tell the garage to hand tighten your  nuts

2) buy a telescopic wheel brace - £8 from Screwfix

7182R_P&$prodImageMedium$

there's a (IMO) better and cheaper way. When I had a VW Camper the wheel nuts were absolute barstewards to undo. Happily there was a building site opposite the house, so I retrieved a piece of scaffolding about 3 foot long. A bit studier that necessary, but slotting that over the spider wheel brace meant I could get my nuts off easily.

spider.jpg  

The benefit being that the leverage is at right angles and a lot less likely to slip off or round the corners of the nuts. Obviously you don't need scaffolding, but a short length of steel tubing that will slide over the end of your tool is really useful and much cheaper.

This post is probably only of interest for geeks and prolific Kenny gif posters. 

• Haha 1

I always keep one of these in the boot, the shaft length doubles in size (huge kw) making it quite easy to loosen stubborn fixings.

21A9LjNbOtL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
Can get them from Amazon for about £9, money very well spent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

My DIY skills were such , that I remember ringing my mate once cause I’d changed a ligtbulb and was proud of myself .

but over the last few years I have got better , wouldn’t take on anything major but I can do general handyman stuff around the house 

DIY skills?

Tony, you made me a cup of coffee in a **** microwave.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

DIY skills?

Tony, you made me a cup of coffee in a **** microwave.

That’s nespresso’s fault for deciding the optimum temperature for coffee is lukewarm , where as I like it nuclear 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

How many 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow's have been cut from pop culture? For context - One of the many stories to come out of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz is that the iconic song 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' very nearly didn't make it into the final cut of the movie because they didn't think there was enough time/room to include it in the final version.  Of course we know it went on to become one of the most iconic and recognisable songs in pop culture for the next 8 decades.  But that sliding doors moment in editing could very easily have completely removed it from public knowledge.  I often wonder how many songs which would have had a similarly massive influence in pop culture ended up being cut in post production, never to see the light of day, and how different things would have been had they been allowed to have the influence they would have had.

But for a different beat of a butterfly’s wings, we may never have had the 1986 musical version of Absolute Beginners.

That **** butterfly.

18 hours ago, BOF said:

How many 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow's have been cut from pop culture? For context - One of the many stories to come out of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz is that the iconic song 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' very nearly didn't make it into the final cut of the movie because they didn't think there was enough time/room to include it in the final version.  Of course we know it went on to become one of the most iconic and recognisable songs in pop culture for the next 8 decades.  But that sliding doors moment in editing could very easily have completely removed it from public knowledge.  I often wonder how many songs which would have had a similarly massive influence in pop culture ended up being cut in post production, never to see the light of day, and how different things would have been had they been allowed to have the influence they would have had.

In a similar vein I've often wondered how many potentially great sports people have never tried their sport. 

How many Mike Tysons have never put on boxing gloves. How many Tiger Woods not tried Golf, how many Bjorn Borgs never played tennis etc. 

Or how many Eric Claptons never picked up a guitar. 

How many Meryl Streeps never tried acting. 

How many Katie Prices never got their baps out. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â