The Darts Thread

Brumerican

I was thinking it's probably a good thing that Littler didn't win the World Championships last night but the media frenzy is already mental. He's everywhere and the PDC see pound signs big time. 

Was bound to happen but it can't be good all that attention and pressure at 16, for his sake I hope his next few tournaments go well. 

57 minutes ago, a-k said:

They put him in the Premier League, which is a mini-competition containing the "eight best". I think it's a joke to be honest...lad had a couple of good weeks and they're capitalizing financially because of the whirlwind around him.

Yeah, seems a cynical ploy from the PDC. Players like Cullen, Chisnall, Dobey, Clayton or Noppert might feel aggrieved. 

8 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

There's no need for the unbridled cynicism, it's a great story.

It is, but if we are going to be putting 16 (then 17) year olds in the "premier" tournament off the back of two-weeks of form, what message does that send to your older players who have, quite frankly, accomplished more over the course of the year? Or to the younger players, that they just need to play out of their minds for two weeks and that's enough? 

Edited by a-k

has anybody ever been to the Ally Pally for the World Finals?

Thinking of going to to this/next years and i've registered for priority tickets which go on sale in August.

What's it actually like there as a fan?

Would appreciate any advise tips etc

I've never been, so simply based on my observations when I've watched it on TV, assuming you don't mind fancy dress, football chants, and the thought of getting increasingly drunk in order to enjoy it more, you should be alright.

I have been to bongo bingo though, and it basically looks exactly the same. And that was really fun. 

I do wonder if there are a section of darts fans who despise what the sport has become purely because of the modern fandom, or if that culture is now so ingrained in the PDC and Sky Sports era of the game that 'traditional' darts fans no longer exist?

I went to the Premier League Darts in Birmingham a few years back. It was...awful. Sat miles away from the front, watched the darts on a big screen drinking shit beer. Was surrounded by a big group of Leicester fans who just sang Leicester songs for three hours. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I've never been, so simply based on my observations when I've watched it on TV, assuming you don't mind fancy dress, football chants, and the thought of getting increasingly drunk in order to enjoy it more, you should be alright.

I have been to bongo bingo though, and it basically looks exactly the same. And that was really fun. 

I do wonder if there are a section of darts fans who despise what the sport has become purely because of the modern fandom, or if that culture is now so ingrained in the PDC and Sky Sports era of the game that 'traditional' darts fans no longer exist?

yeah, thats what i fancy, a right good knees up, a sing song and a few beers

20 minutes ago, Milfner said:

I went to the Premier League Darts in Birmingham a few years back. It was...awful. Sat miles away from the front, watched the darts on a big screen drinking shit beer. Was surrounded by a big group of Leicester fans who just sang Leicester songs for three hours. 

i think the big difference between the Premier League and the World Championships is the size of the venue/crowd.

The PL darts venues appear to be a lot bigger.

I've heard club football songs sung at the PL darts (mainly shit on the Villa 🤣) but not at the World Championship

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've never watched a game (match?) of darts in my life, fair play to the lad for getting so far, but I'm glad I'm not going to be seeing that chubby little word removed all over the news anymore for something that has as much sporting merit as a game of Buckaroo. 

Not given this a whole lot of thought, but I reckon darts is the hardest sport to “fluke” any sort of victory in.

It’s an incredibly difficult sport. 

8 hours ago, imavillan said:

Thinking of going to to this/next years and i've registered for priority tickets which go on sale in August.

Yes, been to two world championship finals before but quite a few years ago (John Part beating Kirk Shepherd one year and Phil Taylor beating RVB the other).

Would certainly recommend it as something to give a go. Obviously quite a few people seem do fancy dress there but most don't.

The atmosphere / drinking is worth it if that is what you are after but from memory was quite a good laugh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yes, been to two world championship finals before but quite a few years ago (John Part beating Kirk Shepherd one year and Phil Taylor beating RVB the other).

Would certainly recommend it as something to give a go. Obviously quite a few people seem do fancy dress there but most don't.

The atmosphere / drinking is worth it if that is what you are after but from memory was quite a good laugh.

thanks BTD

Deffo going to give it a go.

Your comment on the fancy dress is interesting as on the tv it comes across that the majority dress up.

Got to wait till August to get tickets.

Yes - there is a lot that wear fancy dress but loads that don't too so you wouldn't be out of place just wearing normal clothes.

Travel wise would recommend getting the train direct to the Alexandra Palace station - makes it very easy.

The other things that stand out was, obviously as the dart board is so far away, you basically end up watching the darts on the big screens they have.

Also, the cards they hand out where you can write a message on can be quite entertaining too!

I see at this year's final Tottenham got a bit of abuse as Maddison was there and because, well it's Tottenham...

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, imavillan said:

No, but I went to the circus Tavern in Purfleet one year, it was **** mental. The amount of people on gear was ridiculous including some of the players 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

No, but I went to the circus Tavern in Purfleet one year, it was **** mental. The amount of people on gear was ridiculous including some of the players 

Then down to Raquel's in Basildon for some pills, you faaaacccckin no good melt! 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Then down to Raquel's in Basildon for some pills, you faaaacccckin no good melt! 

Laverrly blindin jimmys 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Luke Littler has done a nine darter in the 2nd leg against Nathan Aspinall in the Bahrain Darts Masters.

He went on to win it 6-3

He's now up against Gerwyn Price in the semi final

It's live on ITV 4 now for anyone interested

Edited by imavillan
twitter/x vid added

Â