Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could see past your anti-Hughes rhetoric and allow for a couple of seconds of clarity, you will find that what I prclaimed was true - £128.5m was spent in his second season. He was only there 18 months - he spent just over £100m during the summer of 2008 and the transfer window in January 2009. The remainder was spent during his second - and last - summer with club.

And, yes, I think you can give Hughes a lot of credit for getting Santa Cruz playing the best football of his career under his management. He's not matched that level of form before or since.

O'Leary, on the other hand, got next to no game time from Laursen as he was injured, playing only one Premier League match during the 2005-2006 season (O'Leary's last). Bouma was absolutely shocking under O'Leary and only started to find form halfway into O'Neill's first season at the club. But, yeah, Milner played well during his first spell here. Not sure what any of that has to do with Mark Hughes though.

are you for real? look at the dates, £128.5 million spent

IN THE FIRST SEASON OF HUGHES AT MAN CITY, NOT THE 2ND WHICH YOU KEEP WRONGLY REPEATING

just for you, because it seems blatently clear you are desperate for a meh manager such as hughes, to the point you are making things up to use as facts.

lets go through the

2ND YEAR OF TRANSFERS

hold tight, here we go, now dont forget, THIS IS YEAR 2.

Roque Santa Cruz Blackburn £17,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Gareth Barry Aston Villa £12,000,000 01 Jul, 2009

Stuart Taylor Aston Villa Free 01 Jul, 2009

Carlos Tevez Man Utd Signed 14 Jul, 2009 £30 million

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal £25,000,000 19 Jul, 2009

Kolo Toure Arsenal £16,000,000 29 Jul, 2009

Sylvinho Barcelona Free 24 Aug, 2009

Joleon Lescott Everton £22,000,000 25 Aug, 2009

total £122.5 million

NOT £128.5 which is how much he spent in the FIRST year

see i can see i made a mistake by UNDER ESTIMATING what money he had spunked away, i said it was £230 million, in actual fact it is £251 million

awsome

i have already said i will support who ever we get in, until they **** it up, however blindly pretending someone is better than their previous track record suggests and then ignoring or excusing poor performances by them to make him sound better ?

really?

he is an average manager, nothing so far in his managerial career suggests other wise.

it doesnt mean he is shit it means he will be ok. why settle for ok when the conditions at our club our ripe for a top manager for once, to come in and take the reigns?

Ok, hands up - we both got some of our numbers wrong. It's still a fairly even split across the two seasons. But the reason we're debating how the money was split at all originated from your statement that he took the team to below where Sven led them AFTER spending £230m which was still a massive distortation of the facts.

All I can say is that I believe Mark Hughes is a good manager who will get better. I think he will suit our club and get us competing among the teams chasing the top four and hopefully beyond. I have not provided a revisionist history of his track record - he has improved every club he has managed and I hope that continues here if he is appointed.

Apparently 5 Live are reporting that Villa have contacted Fulham to tell them Hughes isn't a target!!

The plot thickens... and if true, down the pan goes my £20 bet :evil:

No point putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Lining up your second or even third choice is no bad thing.

Although if i was a betting man (which i am) i think Hughes is most likely to become our new manager.

Apparently 5 Live are reporting that Villa have contacted Fulham to tell them Hughes isn't a target!!

No point putting all your eggs in 1 basket. Lining up your second or even third choice is no bad thing.

Although if i was a betting man (which i am) i think Hughes is most likely to become our new manager.

Shit miss read that completely.

Repeat after me.

They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. Or Curbishley.

...they probably would be you know.

:|

McClown could be the next favourite then. :?

Says who? I bet Ancelotti is more likely to be a target than McLaren.

The Betfair market. Normally, that's a good indication of the true odds. Hughes is already drifting away. :shock:

I have nothing against Gary Mac personally and I am sure he works hard & is a decent bloke but he is not good enough or experienced enough to become Villa Manager,now that would be a mistake to promote him.

Would Ancelotti only staying short term and then leaving for a bigger job really be so bad?

I assume he'd only be offered a top job if he was succeeding with us.

So he'd have done a good job here, so hopefully be leaving the club in a situation which is better than when he joined (timing considered).

We'd probably be paid compensation if another club came in for him.

We wouldn't have to pay him severance if he left.

Am I just beign overly optimistic with what is actually a bad situation?

Nope you're not.

We get him on a 3-4 year deal and if he leaves after a year we could make back double or even triple what we paid him!

You can tell the guy wants to stick two fingers up at chelsea and show them just what they've missed out on by letting him go, so where better to do that than here.

What are his alternatives really? Wait out Fergie retiring? Could be years, and then when you do win something well, you did it with man u, not really that special.

Wait for the Man City job? You think he'd go back in for another job where players will be bought above him and he'll get sacked for not fulfilling unrealistic expectations from the money men?

Arsenal? They won't get rid of Wenger as long as he's consistently bringing them champions league money on a shoestring.

Liverpool? They're in love with king kenny, and if he gets sacked are they really in a much better position than us?

Everton? Moyes has a job for life there.

That leaves Spurs, who don't look like getting rid of wax face, but give it a year and he could be off to the England job and Ancelotti could fancy it then.

So, if Ancelotti is serious about staying in England I really can't see any better opportunities coming up for him any time soon than us. Sure there's a couple of chances a better job could open up in a year or two, but in that time he could have made something here. If he accepted a lower settlement with Chelsea to get rid of the 12 month freeze out then why will he just sit around waiting for a job for that long? Makes no sense.

The guy wants to get back in the saddle, and AVFC isn't a bad horse.

Repeat after me.

They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. Or Curbishley.

Well Curbishley was interviewed last year wasn't he?

Quote - Graham Taylor's words of wisdom for the day are "that we must hire soon". - hello captain obvious.

No we don't. Downing has two years of his contract to run. He can sit tight until the new manager is decided. Same with Ashley Young. He can sit down until the new man comes in as well.

Its far more important to get it right, than to rush in an appointment.

5 live said we contacted fulham to let them know we aren't interested in Hughes.

Carlos looking more likely.

Would certainly show they want to step up and are listening to fans.

We all wanted a big name, not necessarily English someone who has won trophies.

I reckon we will have someone in the next 10 days. The list is getting whittled quicker than it was for houllier

I can imagine now, everybody getting excited over Ancelotti, it seems a dead certain he's coming then a newsflash on the Villa site shows McClren holding the Villa shirt up. Wouldn't put i past us after the past 12 months, it's been a crazy year!

BetfairFootball have just tweeted

"Mark Hughes price for next #AVFC manager on the drift. From 1.5 to 2.5. Biggest mover is Ancelotti 27's to 8.6. McClaren at 5's"