Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Bent has more to his game? all he does is score goals. At times yesterday he was watching the crowd.

We have been screaming out for a natural goal scorer for years and when you get one!.........

he can do what the **** he wants as long as he is knocking in the goals but I disagree as there is more to his game.

Bent works hard for the team, I thought he was a final 3rd player and in essence he is, but he does track back when he needs to and he is always there when a chance appears, which you want from a striker. If we really want a striker who does all the other aspect of the game but doesn't score, we can always play Heskey, but currently I happy with Bent, would like Gabby to get more of a run out as well. Thinks he need a better song though, his current one is poor.

Thing that makes me laff about this thread tho and before I say it - Im actually warming to Bent a bit - still yet to see what he does offer other than goals tbh (which is mint when he scores/not so good when he doesnt), but hes showed the last few goals that he is very capable of scoring different goals which has both surprised me and impressed me.

But........

Hes just gone two games without scoring - one of which (Wigan) (and I dont know about the Baggies game at all tbh), he missed an absolute sitter to win the game late on. Now thats fair enough - these things happen. Hes not goin to score week in week out :D :winkold: , but......

this thread had about 2 posts in about 2 weeks!!!, probably claiming that there was no service.

Ash has a good game - we praise him

Ash has a bad game - he gets slated and the mistakes are pointed out

Same with Heskey, Dunne, and every other player.

Bent has a bad game or 2 - we let him off.

He then scores 2 - hes a world class striker and we all want his babies.

This is certainly not a post to have a go at Darren Bent, because hes done well, but lets just have a bit of consistency with all players.

Theres no doubt that His goals have played a big part in keeping us up now!, but some of his misses have also cost us points, like Wigan and Bolton (where we only actually highlight Youngs miss)

Because Bent's good days are far more common than his bad days. How many Villa players woud have netted our first? I would argue none.

Have you seen Bent's movement? He runs in between the lines, I hate it when people try and say all he does is score goals. I was one who didn't rate him when he left Spurs, but more than his goals, I am so impressed with his movement those goals against Arsenal proved his movement is up there with the very best.

Bent's primary concern as a striker is to score. He does that, and does it well.

Whilst he might not be a Tevez or Rooney who will chase down defenders under the sun sets he still puts in a shift for the team and thats all we should ask of him as long as he keeps scoring.

Have you seen Bent's movement? He runs in between the lines, I hate it when people try and say all he does is score goals. I was one who didn't rate him when he left Spurs, but more than his goals, I am so impressed with his movement those goals against Arsenal proved his movement is up there with the very best.

No you have a good point there. Theres obv a lot more to the art of scoring than just putting into the net.

I dont really want to go too much into this as it tends to upset a lot of people who choose to not read posts fully,

but Briny makes a point that hes happy Bents goals have saved us from relegation. And this season so am I.

But next season I want him to play a big part in bringing success to the club (trophies or top 5) and for that I think we need him to be more adaptable in games where things arent going his way.

Its fine when he has 4 touches and scores 2 goals. Its ace!! Tbh, i dont think the team had more than 20 spells of possesion and we got 2 goals. But I dont think its fine that he may have 4 touches and not score. Now that could be the result of a number of things incl service which may not be Darren Bents fault. But sometimes Wayne Rooney doesnt get service and goes and creates something single handedly. I dont think Darren Bents capable of that atm (from what Ive seen) and I think its one thing wed need to bring the sustained success we all want.

Im not having a go, or picking faults. I agree with a lot he should be the main focal point of the team. And for that reason I think its important to look for ways to make him even better.

I have been very impressed at the aspects of his play aside from scoring goals, I think he has actually been working really hard.

Plus the fact that he is an actual goal machine = I want to have his babies.

I think with Bent we have to give Houllier and the coaching staff a huge pat on the back. Not just for signing him but also developing his game. Bent himself said that he feels his game has improved under Houllier.

I agree with a lot he should be the main focal point of the team. And for that reason I think its important to look for ways to make him even better.
I think we can all agree with that. Here's what I posted in the "I was wrong" thread yesterday.
I was wrong about Darren Bent.

I thought his goalscoring record at Sunderland was a case of "big fish in a small pool" - borne out it seemed by the fact that he scored a big majority of their goals. I also thought his failure a Tottenham showed he couldn't crack the big time and he wouldn't be good enough for Villa.

But I was impressed when he joined Villa to hear him acknowledge that he failed at Spurs and show he had reflected on what went wrong - something like "I tried to be too good and do too much all at once" - and to vow he had learned his lesson and would be better prepared for the challenge at Villa.

He has been great so far for us. His goals this season have been a fantastic boost. In effect, he has kept us up almost single handed. And his first goal against Arsenal yesterday was a moment of pure quality - a very difficult goal to pull off.

My only carp now is that he can get so much better. He still misses some quite soft chances (he did so once at Arsenal) and he can develop his passing game more - although it is already much better developed than I thought it would be.

So, I look forward to next season to see how he progresses, who we get to play alongside him centrally (I don't expect Gabby to feature much next season) and on the wing (to replace Young) and whom we get to manage him (in place of GH).

I think what has impressed me the back end of the season is that fact that Bent just oozes class when he has the ball and his positioning. Even though he'd finished that first goal off on Sunday first crack, he immediately and instinctively was on his way for the follow up whilst the ball was on it's way into the net, in case it rebounded off the post or the keeper saved it. He's there ready to pounce miles before any of the defenders have even blinked.

To me he's simply a goalscorer and he's exactly what we've needed for donkeys.

Case in point at home to Citeh. First game, toughest defence around, a ball comes loose, he's there. not because he's goalhanging, in case the ball squirted loose, which it did.

I think it was the west ham game where one of his back heals and some of his switching of the wing with pin point crosses were simply draw dropping.

Â