Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes wouldn't be a bad choice. His football is a little bland but not terrible, seems to be a good man manager. Moyes is very similar, though the football could be argued to be a little more bland still, than Hughes'. Jol played nice football at spurs, and I gather has taken that philosophy to every club he's managed.

If Villa fans honestly think Carlo Ancelotti would manage Villa, you need to pull your head out of the sand as well as take your claret and blue specs off.

Just seems like readying more reasons to have a go at the board (for some reason) because if any manager says no we lack ambition, without knowing the full facts.

Absolute nonsense!

I completely agree with you.

Him being rumoured with us is lazy journalism by the media, and the bookies trying to make a few bob by offering odds that will entice a few people in and will always make them money. Lets be fair, he is a world class manager.

For me, in an ideal world, and i must stress that. David Moyes or Owen Coyle would be fantastic. Both would be difficult to get, however i feel both would push us back up to challenging for 6th.

Coyles brand of football is good, and we all know the credentials of Moyes. Moyes has repeatedly said that he is happy at Everton but how much further can he take them, their best players are always sold ( 3 of ours have over the last 3 seasons ) but we reinvest that cash and more, unlike Everton where he is feeding off the scraps. With more and more clubs spending, the gap between the big 5 and the rest of us will start to increase, clubs like us have the financial clout to improve the squad. Thats one of the few reasons why i think Moyes would come to us !

Anyways, if neither of those two come in i would quite like Martin Jol in with a director of football coming in to.

UTV

I must have missed something with Jol as I cant see how he can be rated ahead of some of the other candidates.

The more I think about it I am coming around towards Rafa. He has all the experience of where we want to be, my only concern is that he seemed to lose the plot towards the end of his Liverpooo reign.

I like ancelotti, and i think as a coaching team with wilkins they could do great things for Villa.

However, there are two concerns i have. What price will it cost us to get Ancelotti? If it's a large figure, will it impact negativly on the transfer budget? Also he (Ancelotti) is a great coach, what's he going to be like in the transfer market.

He's had no control in buying players in his previous roles, would we need someone operating above him in a DOF role to assist in this.

The more I think about it I am coming around towards Rafa. He has all the experience of where we want to be, my only concern is that he seemed to lose the plot towards the end of his Liverpooo reign.

Rafa's a big risk. He's fallen out with the board at every club he's managed.

Still, he might at least "guarantee" us a CL spot :lol:

Whislt i have nothing against mark hughes and I think he would do an okay job with the team, I dont think hes the right appointment right now.

The pull of his name (none existent) is not going to stop the rott, we need a name to signal intent...but the name has to be a decent manager at the same time. Shame Ancelotti is pie in the sky.

Absolutely. Why do so many people not get this?

because they dont apply common sense and logic to anything football related

its a case of "hes been a successful manager so he'd be a successful manager here", despite the fact that he's been a successful manager a clubs with far more resources and draw than villa

OK, so I maybe wrong, however I genuinely think the guy has a hell of a lot more to offer than any of the other candidates mentioned.

he might, but he'd be a risk. just because he's a name doesnt mean he's going to be a success. the adjustment he'd have to make to even be a moderate success at villa would be huge. it'd be an experience completely at odds with the last 20 years of his career

mourinho, for example, could do it at villa. coz it's not that long since he was at porto and operating with similar restraints. its been too long for the likes of ancelotti though

I have a lot more confidence in Ancelotti, than I do with Moyes, Hughes, Jol etc.

At the moment our star players like Downing and Young, all want to leave to play CL football, signing a manager of Ancelotti's calibre would be a clear signal of intent. He may even be able to persuade them to change their minds and stay. Who knows, but one things for sure, at the moment we are going backwards fast.

This next managerial appointment is crucial.

Whilst I agree with what your saying regarding the profile of someone like Ancelotti showing the bigger players that we mean business, it doesn't neccessarily mean that we have the money to give him in order to build a squad good enough to win things.

Also, Ancelotti was given £50m to spend on a striker and he chose a very out of form Torres when he had so many more players to choose from, such as Suarez, Bent, E'too etc etc. When you think he could have signed Bent and Suarez for the money spent on Torres it is quite questionable whether he would be the right man to give your millions to.

Ancelotti had nothing to do with the signing of Torres.

Tis true. Unfortunately, I am not sure that he has much experience of buying any players. Abramovich at Chelsea, Berlusconi & Galliano (sic) at Milan.

That is what worries me with Ancelotti.

to all those saying ancelotti is pie in the sky, dreamland etc. i thought that too a few weeks ago. if you look back a couple of pages though i posted a few articles in the italian media (i've been living in and around rome for the last 6 years) that link him with us and QPR.

he was being heavily linked with a move to roma, where he used to be a player, however they all say now that he wants to stay working in the prem, has refused a west ham contract offer with QPR his most likely destination in london. one article saying the most probable was villa or QPR.

this is the article that mentions us...

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/milan/?action=read&idnet=bWlsYW5uZXdzLml0LTUzNjk4

there was an article a few days ago on gazzetta (main sports paper/site here) that linked him with QPR too, as well as ranieri. seems to have disappeared though that! he's also linked with zenit over here but if it's true he wants to stay in the uk and is considering QPR. surely we're a better bet?

I think thinking about it more, ive decided i prefer Hughes rather than Moyles. I think he has had a wider range of experiences and his management success has been comparable to Moyles. Moyles has done an exceptional job at Everton and a good job at Preston.
Why would we appoint a Radio 1 DJ as manager??? :)

Mark Hughes wouldnt be my first choice as manager, nor the second or even third choice, but if we can get him in within the next 2 weeks, then that's probably going to be a better option than fighting Everton for Moyes all summer. Given the amount of issues that a new manager will have to face, we're going to need someone in the door by the end of June at the absolute latest.

That said, Jol is also a free agent, and my preferred choice.