Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Aston Villa eye Rafael Benítez as manager in wake of Gérard Houllier's health scare

Rafael Benítez mentioned as a likely replacement should Gérard Houllier fail to make a successful recovery from his health problems.

Until now it has generally been thought that Houllier, after taking on board the advice of his medical team, would have the final decision on his future at Aston Villa, but Telegraph Sport understands that conversations had actually taken place at the club about whether he was fit to continue beyond the end of the season prior to his admission to Queen Elizabeth Hospital last Wednesday.

The team’s dismal performances had of course been taken into consideration but, crucially, a concern about his ability to cope with the pressures of modern management were voiced even before he suffered a dissection of the descending aorta, a condition for which he required immediate hospitalisation.

The club have committed themselves to allowing Gary McAllister, Houllier’s assistant, control of first team affairs until the end of the season on a caretaker basis.

The Torygraph

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget morals of poaching other teams managers, we should aim for the best we can regardless. It's only business and do you think other teams hold such high ground when it comes down to it. Morals don't win trophies and looked what happened when we last checked down the job centre?? All good managers will have a job, you have to be ruthless at times, just pay Kenwright some compo and GET MOYES!!!

ASTON VILLA want Mark Hughes or David Moyes as their new manager - if stricken Gerard Houllier is forced to quit after his latest heart scare.

Fulham boss Hughes and Everton's Moyes are top of owner Randy Lerner's hitlist as he waits to see whether Houllier will be fit enough to stand the stresses and strains of Premier League management again.

Hughes was hand-picked by Lerner to replace Martin O'Neill when the Irishman quit last August. But the Villa owner turned to Houllier because Sparky, 47, felt unable to leave Fulham after just two months in charge.

The situation could change now, though, after a mediocre spell at Craven Cottage where the ex-Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City manager has been hit by indifferent form and a spate of bad injuries.

Moyes, 47 has been in charge at Everton for nine years.

And the Goodison club insist he will only be allowed to leave if they can persuade O'Neill to take up the reins next season - or prise Paul Lambert away from Norwich.

Former Celtic and Leicester boss O'Neill, 59, decided against a return to the Premier League with West Ham just a few months ago.

He may also be reluctant to join Everton because of the Merseysiders' lack of thrust in the transfer market - the same reason Moyes might be persuaded to leave.

Norwich, meanwhile, will do everything they can to hang on to Lambert, 41, if he leads them into the Premier League.

Should the Goodison riddle result in stalemate, it will leave the field clear for Welshman Hughes. who will undoubtedly feel he stands a greater chance of competing for honours at Villa Park than he does with Fulham. But everything still depends on Houllier's health.

The Frenchman, who underwent heart surgery when he was Liverpool boss a decade ago, remains in hospital for another few days after his chest pains were confirmed as a tear in the wall of the heart.

The condition does not require surgery this time but is serious.

Houllier will be allowed home from hospital in the next few days but his assistant Gary McAllister will be in charge for Villa's final four games this season.

And much as Houllier, 63, is desperate to return next season, Villa are not counting on it.

The Frenchman said: "My condition is improving and extremely encouraging. I am especially grateful to the Villa fans for their genuine concern."

Should Hughes or Moyes move in the first item on the agenda will be dressing-room harmony which, together with an injury crisis, sent Villa tumbling down the table.

There are also question marks over the future of England winger Ashley Young with a number of top clubs ready to pounce.

The Sun

Maybe the Sun guy just gets fed the same info as MM, though I wouldnt put it past a Journo to come on here in order to pick up snippets of info.

I think football forums like this are pretty much accepted by journos as 'legitimate' sources.

I would much prefer Moyes. I would be very dissapointed with Benitez - although he has an impressive CV - To me this would represent a failure of the villa board to prise a manager away from another club.

In general the best managers are in work.

yeah if he sticks to not poaching managers I'd say

1) Cheeky punt for Van Gaal

2) Benitez

3) Jol

1900) Big Sam

I don't want Benitez, but "this".

I wonder if Mourinho will stay another season at the Bernabeu... ;)

I would much prefer Moyes. I would be very dissapointed with Benitez - although he has an impressive CV - To me this would represent a failure of the villa board to prise a manager away from another club.

In general the best managers are in work.

i agree but i don't think randy is ruthless enough to approach a manager who's in work

Just out of curiosity; before GH came in, Jol was a fairly clear leader in terms of who we wanted to take the job. Now he barely gets a mention?

I realise that he left Ajax earlier in the year, but what has he done so badly this year / Moyes & Hughes done so well, to cause this rethink?

Just out of curiosity; before GH came in, Jol was a fairly clear leader in terms of who we wanted to take the job. Now he barely gets a mention?

I realise that he left Ajax earlier in the year, but what has he done so badly this year / Moyes & Hughes done so well, to cause this rethink?

Personally - I think Moyes has become unsettled at Everton. That makes him gettable - where as before he was a bit of a pipe dream.

Jol, Benitez - have time away from the prem - and people seem struggle when they come back

For me its got to be Moyes - he's ready to move on and I don't buy all this "Villa is a sideways step" bullshit. We are a far bigger club than Everton with the resourses to back that up. Everton are always solid and play good football. All our recent games with them have been crackers.

Perhaps he'd also like to bring Arteta and Cahill with him as well? Possibly Tim Howard too if he likes and there is room in the car?