Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

I know I have suggested Fat Sam but to be honest giving him an 8 game contract is an insult to his achievements and he would see it like that too. It would be saying to him, you're a good enough manager to win most of our last 8 games but in the long run we wouldn't like you. I think he will sit tight til a better opportunity comes along. He has nothing to gain from keeping us up and moving on besides a paycheck.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When John Gregory was first team coach alongside Brian Little he was credited as being a major part of our most successful season in many a year - 95/95 (League Cup Winners, 4th, FA Semi). Its actually the reputation and the impact he'd had on the players that got him the managers job after his few months away at Wycombe.

I've often wondered when Houllier was **** about asking any **** with Liverpool connections to work alongside him - Thomson, Hamann, Staunton, and the useless **** we ended up with G Mac, why he didn't look for someone with Villa connections to do the job, someone who could do what he must have known he couldn't - instil the same passion in the club that they had, the same pride, the same heart. That man could well have been JG. Not so sure I'd have him back as manager but he would have made an excellent assistant.

Hated him as a Villa manager -and I use the word hate deliberately. But he -like Evans- played a big part in our good form under Sir Brian. JG was the foil to the more measured, slightly necrotic BL. JG was one of the lads, a players coach - and it's no accident that he got a decent response when he came back initially.

When he had money to spend he was largely a nightmare though. That bright opening in 1998 aside, he presided over some of the most tepid, dull safety first football it has ever been my misfortune to endure, the nadir of which being not even mustering a shot on target v Chelsea in the 2000 Cup Final. I still haven't watched highlights of that game and I have no intention of doing so. He had put many supporters off long before that, I lost count of the amount of long term season ticket holders around me who had given up the ghost during his tenure. He also set the template for previously unheard of managers enjoying their 15 minutes of fame with his rent a quote approach -since equalled (and possibly bettered) by Phil Orange and Holloway. If only his football had been as spicy as some of his press conferences.

But JG as an assistant did a decent job for us. That should never be overlooked. I don't think his ego would allow him to play second fiddle to anyone now though.

tony pulis? done great with stoke really. made them a very difficult team to beat but we might just be too big a team for him to boss

coyle - would be perfect but unlikely to leave bolton

holloway - no i think at villa he would revert to how he managed leicester

Big Sam - i like his arrogance and he is not afraid to say how he feels...not a bad shout

moyes - would definitely do a good job and a change may be good for him

lambert - a good shout could be worth a gamble

grayson - doesnt really feel right

mourinho - i wish! but to really prove himself better than sir alex, managing the villa and getting us competing in the top 4 and europe would show that he is really is a special one!

houllier - he might be doing things ok behind the scenes and he is giving the kids a good chance but, like with Dr Jo, the foreign revolution does not quite sit nicely at villa park

I'm still, in spite of results etc, keen on giving GH a summer and a chance to effect a real clear out and start over with no excuses for next season, but as that seems less likely by the week, I think learning from the lesson of before and ensuring we have the best pool of candidates to choose from would be better than jumping in now. Come the end of the season some managers will be more considerate towards sounding out for the role I would have thought. Why exclude these candidates for the sake of a few more weeks?

IF GH is to leave now, caretaker path is preferable

I'm still, in spite of results etc, keen on giving GH a summer and a chance to effect a real clear out and start over with no excuses for next season, but as that seems less likely by the week, I think learning from the lesson of before and ensuring we have the best pool of candidates to choose from would be better than jumping in now. Come the end of the season some managers will be more considerate towards sounding out for the role I would have thought. Why exclude these candidates for the sake of a few more weeks?

IF GH is to leave now, caretaker path is preferable

caretaker would have to be sid. supported by k-mac and t mcandrew

There are a hell of a lot of managers in the premier league who would look at what Houllier has at his disposal with envy.

We say this but the names floating around when quitter quit suggest otherwise..

Could it be that other managers valued their reputation enough not to walk out on their side at the start of the season..

Hughes had just gone to Fulham (after apparently waiting for us as news of MON's interest in the Liverpool job was circulating in the game as far back as March) so that was a non starter.

Jol had just ensured qualification to the CL group stages and secured backing after Fulham had enquired about him though he did say something along the lines of 'Villa will have to wait' rather than giving a flat out no.

And Moyes had just convinced a number of Everton players to sign extended contracts on the basis that he too would be there for the foreseeable. How would it look if he had bailed so soon after?

Those were the names that were widely touted and -according to the General- we contacted all the usual names.

It's the timing more than anything else that did for us back then. The consequences of which we're still living with now.

When John Gregory was first team coach alongside Brian Little he was credited as being a major part of our most successful season in many a year - 95/95 (League Cup Winners, 4th, FA Semi). Its actually the reputation and the impact he'd had on the players that got him the managers job after his few months away at Wycombe.

I've often wondered when Houllier was **** about asking any **** with Liverpool connections to work alongside him - Thomson, Hamann, Staunton, and the useless **** we ended up with G Mac, why he didn't look for someone with Villa connections to do the job, someone who could do what he must have known he couldn't - instil the same passion in the club that they had, the same pride, the same heart. That man could well have been JG. Not so sure I'd have him back as manager but he would have made an excellent assistant.

Hated him as a Villa manager -and I use the word hate deliberately. But he -like Evans- played a big part in our good form under Sir Brian. JG was the foil to the more measured, slightly necrotic BL. JG was one of the lads, a players coach - and it's no accident that he got a decent response when he came back initially.

When he had money to spend he was largely a nightmare though. That bright opening in 1998 aside, he presided over some of the most tepid, dull safety first football it has ever been my misfortune to endure, the nadir of which being not even mustering a shot on target v Chelsea in the 2000 Cup Final. I still haven't watched highlights of that game and I have no intention of doing so. He had put many supporters off long before that, I lost count of the amount of long term season ticket holders around me who had given up the ghost during his tenure. He also set the template for previously unheard of managers enjoying their 15 minutes of fame with his rent a quote approach -since equalled (and possibly bettered) by Phil Orange and Holloway. If only his football had been as spicy as some of his press conferences.

But JG as an assistant did a decent job for us. That should never be overlooked. I don't think his ego would allow him to play second fiddle to anyone now though.

I agree with your general sentiments but I don't think people are suggesting him as a long term manager, just as an 8 game kick up the arse. As you state one of his main attributes was the dogged, defensive, bust a gut tactics. Those are the sort of tactics we need now in order to dig us out of the shit we are in. Scrape a couple of 1-0 wins and a couple of draws and we will probably be safe.

I got a feeling it will be Steve Mclaren.
Forgot about him tbh, good choice.

Reaches for the AK47, unlocks the safety latch, points and.... Umbrella shops would do fantastic trade though :winkold:

'Fran_Villa,' Big Sam and now Steve Mclaren in one day. Your going well. Maybe we should give Mike Basset a go. :lol: