The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

That long article posted a few pages back mentioned America's reluctance to get more involved as it would look like ISIS's ridiculous 'army of Rome' fantasy was coming true. This would spur a massive recruitment. I don't know why the Arab nations aren't getting more involved.

whats new, isis were funded by the US and probably still are.

What are you basing that on?

"I am leaving for Washington on a fateful, even historic mission. I am the emissary of all Israelis, even those who disagree with me." Benny Netanyahoo, March 1 2015

Should be an interesting day in DC tomorrow, with Benny having sidestepped protocol to address the House without having asked or informed the president. Several Democrats boycotting the speech, but I wonder why weren't they boycotting the bombing of Gaza? Every last one of them can **** off.
Should be interesting but alot of congress are jews so they will back him 100%.

Also read on RT that Israel defence minister is requesting 300m+ off the U.S to create a rocket system.

The U.S is basically funding terrorism if they do that.

Bit of an unfair assumption - it's like saying Muslims will automatically back human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia.

And it's not even like there are that many Jews in Congress - only around 8%.

obviously its hear say, well some of it is but they wanted rid of al assad and were not far away from bombing him which never happend in the end. they funded the mujahideen in the soviet war with afghanistan although they wernt on their own, also the cia were training them. as with isis the same has been said, well at the start but it would not surprise me if the american government are still channeling money through to them. i dont think the US want a stable middle east.

iraq would of been far better off with saddam then we would not have all this trouble over there.

I'm not endorsing the Iraq War, but nobody knows what Iraq would be like if Saddam had stayed. Would he have survived the Arab Spring?

would isis  be what they are now if saddam was still there. its laughable really that US and the UK thought he was a danger to the world.

And the question I'm asking is would Saddam still be there?

would isis  be what they are now if saddam was still there. its laughable really that US and the UK thought he was a danger to the world.

Trading oil for Euro´s and bypassing the dollar was seen as a threat.

Then Gadaffi went very vocal regarding the african gold dinar and we all know what happened to him. And his gold.

i believe so.

i believe so.

Based on what? What about the Arab spring and what happened in Libya and Syria? Yeah Saddam might still be there but Iraq might well have turned into another Syria.

maybe, wether it would of reached iraq is another thing. saddam would not of tolerated isis one bit.

I agree with your argument here 100%. By Nov 2001 Al Qaeda was effectively broken with the remnants hiding out in Pakistan. Yes they had a very few people scattered around other countries but they were not a strategic threat.

It was the invasion of Iraq that created the physical space for AQ to move into, the cause célèbre for large scale recruitment of foreign fighters and the opportunity to sow sectarianism in a religiously diverse and tolerant secular society.

As discussed many times ISIS is the child of AQ Iraq. No war, no global Jihad, no ISIS. Islamic militancy would have remained a criminal irritant, rather than an existential threat to whole countries. Now the genie is out of the bottle it ain't going back in.

For what it's worth the Arab Spring would have lasted seconds in Iraq under Saddam - just like every other internal rebellion against him.

• Like 2

I might have missed something but it seems to me that not much effort is being put forth to get rid of ISIS?

The Iraqis are trying, hence the current offensive against Tikrit and the coming summer offensive against Mosul.

If the West got properly involved on the ground there would be human bombs going pop in many UK towns. MI5 admitted the other day they are now monitoring over 3000 domestic naughty Islamists, how many more would there be if we were 'over there'?

That said I think we should be fighting ISIS very directly and not allowing a domestic 5th column to dictate whether or not we face up to these savages.

the removal of saddam was a huge mistake and we are paying the price for it now, as awol said there were many attemps of rebellion but saddam crushed them and he would of done the same with isis but the US were determind to have him removed. although saddam was no angel he was far from an extreme islamist and id rather he be there now than those people that are running riot now. same old story in libya.

I think its too far gone for there ever to be peace now. The iraq and afghanistan war in which hundreds of thousands of civillians were killed angerd alot of Muslims, some of which have gone on to become AQ and isis etc.

Then the continual backing by the west of Israel whilst they imprison Gaza and murder civillians just makes it worse.

I'd love for peace in the whole world but its impossible now imo

Â