Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Its not about tackling, it's about pressuring

His pressuring is even worse than his tackling, he made Sidwell look half decent today.

On the ball, he's fine. Off it he has an awful lot of improving to do. Ideally we bring in a midfielder who's very good at the defensive side of the game to partner him in the summer.

So in one breath he keeps the ball, in the next he passes early, and you say I don't make sense!

If you play a one/two touch pass to a team-mates.

Is that not keeping the ball by passing it early? :?

He has the ability to make early passes which is important. I don't mind Petrov holding onto the ball but the problem is, he does almost every time, which slows it down all the time. Need to learn when to release it early and when to hold onto it and wait for the right option.

Right now though, the only difference is the speed between the pass, and ones a world beater, the others not worthy of our bench...

Makoun is passing the ball quickly which in time should be effective but right now he's no more efficient than Petrov.

Flair players always get the limelight.

Have people seriously been saying he is too good for us :o

I've been at all three of his games and he has done OK especially when you consider that it will take him time to settle in. He looks like the kind of player that will give you a 6/7 out of 10 performance most weeks and put a decent shift in. He doesn't look anything special though or stand head and shoulders above other players. In fact today Petrov in a lot of respects and most definitely defensively was the superior player.

Makoun looks to have good awareness, can pick a pass and looks to have a decent engine and I think will do well for us but he certainly isn't too good for us.

So in one breath he keeps the ball, in the next he passes early, and you say I don't make sense!

If you play a one/two touch pass to a team-mates.

Is that not keeping the ball by passing it early? :?

He has the ability to make early passes which is important. I don't mind Petrov holding onto the ball but the problem is, he does almost every time, which slows it down all the time. Need to learn when to release it early and when to hold onto it and wait for the right option.

Right now though, the only difference is the speed between the pass, and ones a world beater, the others not worthy of our bench...

Makoun is passing the ball quickly which in time should be effective but right now he's no more efficient than Petrov.

Flair players always get the limelight.

Speed of passing is vital because you play a ball early into your more creative players, it doesn't allow time for the opponents to set defensively and you get your creative players in more dangerous areas 1 on 1 vs defenders. Where as take 3/4 touches, you allow opponents to get men behind the ball or pick up a free man. Also highlighted by our first goal, one touch on chest and then volley wide.

Also, Makoun plays a lot more forward passes than Makoun and also a better range across the park.

I'd say his passing is a lot quicker and more effective than Petrov's who to many times, takes 4/5 touches and passes it backwards, sideways and that's not a myth, that is the general gist of it.

Well, if people will defend his inability to tackle by saying he's not a DM then surely he should he should be scoring or at least creating? He's had two games but people are already saying "he's too good for us", I don't think so.

Xavi doesn't score or create goals but nor is he a DM.

Likes of Xabi Alonso isn't a DM who makes lots of tackles etc...but nor does he score or create.

The ball needs to get from midfield to attack, that's his job, the attackers and more attacking minded midfielders then score and create with others in the team chipping in once in a while.

Likes of Jack Wilshere isn't a DM, but he also rarely scores or creates goals....Scholes is another one.

You say he didn't do anything but I'm pretty sure the 1st goal came from him playing the ball wide quickly to Downing to run and cross and then go in?

Xavi gets about a gazillion assists a season BTW.

Well, if people will defend his inability to tackle by saying he's not a DM then surely he should he should be scoring or at least creating? He's had two games but people are already saying "he's too good for us", I don't think so.

Likes of Xabi Alonso isn't a DM who makes lots of tackles etc...but nor does he score or create.

The ball needs to get from midfield to attack, that's his job, the attackers and more attacking minded midfielders then score and create with others in the team chipping in once in a while.

Likes of Jack Wilshere isn't a DM, but he also rarely scores or creates goals....Scholes is another one.

You say he didn't do anything but I'm pretty sure the 1st goal came from him playing the ball wide quickly to Downing to run and cross and then go in?

Well sort of, he has 5 in La Liga in about 20 games which for someone who plays for Barcelona, the best passer in world football with the best attackers ahead of him, it isn't like stupid amounts. His main reason is to control possesion and dictate things from deeper. If he created about 2 goals every season, he'd still be one of the worlds best.

Well sort of, he has 5 in La Liga in about 20 games which for someone who plays for Barcelona, the best passer in world football with the best attackers ahead of him, it isn't like stupid amounts. His main reason is to control possesion and dictate things from deeper. If he created about 2 goals every season, he'd still be one of the worlds best.

5 this season but 34 in the last 2 seasons combined just in La Liga. Off topic anyway.

I agree with your point.

If you play 1 up front then you have 3 in midfield, destroyer, passer, attacker. Makoun is the passer, Ashley Young I suppose is the attacker.

That pass to Downing lead to a goal anyway.

Been saying that but it's falling on deaf ears, also mentioned Petrov in his play which lead to their goals!

A pass that led to an assist... that's stretching it a bit :lol: I'd put money on petrov touching the ball in the lead up to a goal this season...

was there today and he looked very good indeed. Seemed to just be so much quicker and more accurate with his distribution than anyone else on the pitch. He also seemed to pick the right option, and looked to move the ball on first time, not needing to take 8 touchs like Petrov.

Its obvious he is no DM although he covers space well and works hard enough.

That pass to Downing lead to a goal anyway.

Been saying that but it's falling on deaf ears, also mentioned Petrov in his play which lead to their goals!

A pass that led to an assist... that's stretching it a bit :lol: I'd put money on petrov touching the ball in the lead up to a goal this season...

But that's Makoun's job, to get on the ball and get the ball into dangerous areas for our attacking players to create. :? If Makoun had perhaps like other players, had a touch, looked to get his body in front of midfielder, turn...then Fulham could of quickly re-grouped, instead he played the ball quickly while Downing had time and Downing crossed for the goal.

This is exactly what we've missed at times since Barry in terms of range of passing and quick brain to move quickly into good areas.

i like how he moves the ball on quick. it means that when a player gets the ball from him they have space to work with.

too many of our other players take an age on the ball, so when they pass it on the player receiving the ball immediatly has someone closing him down

Apart from his delightful one touch attacking passes, I did enjoy watching Makoun trying to explain to Lee Mason in French that Dempsey had his studs up and not the other way round and got the referee to ask the linesman what he saw.

Judging from the expressions on the officials faces I don't think they understood one word and didn't realise that he Makoun wanted the linesman to reverse the decision of a foul against Makoun.

Makoun's face was a picture of amazement when he got the yellow card and kudos to him for not letting it rattle his composure. I like Makoun's style of play. As time goes on and he gets used to the other players and gets used to the pace of the Prem and how the refs allow some tackles and not others, he is just going to get better.

To be able to pick out an attacking pass before you even get the touch is a skill that few players have. That skill should also be able to work in reverse also, in that he ought to be able defensively track back and be in the right place to break down an attack.

I am hoping that as he gets fitter and his language/understanding improves he will just get better and better. IMHO makoun has amplified the skills of both Ashley and Downing. Ashley in particular looks to be more dangerous with the extra space he gets going forward created by the rapid distribution from Makoun.

Impressed by the lad again today. It's very rare to see a player in a Villa shirt so comfortable receiving and giving the ball with quick one touch passes

Looks like its scared the shit out of some of the others, eg lead legs Petrov

IMO - if you can't see he's our best passer you're not watching. On the other hand, he was markedly less precise than he has been in the second half today. I'm wondering why. It could be tired, but I don't think so. I have the feeling that Fulham made an adjustment at half-time. But it wasn't marking Makoun, it was marking everyone around him more closely when he had the ball. Whatever happened, many of Makoun's passes started to get cut out, at the same time, more spaces began to develop. I found it interesting.

IMO - if you can't see he's our best passer you're not watching. On the other hand, he was markedly less precise than he has been in the second half today. I'm wondering why. It could be tired, but I don't think so. I have the feeling that Fulham made an adjustment at half-time. But it wasn't marking Makoun, it was marking everyone around him more closely when he had the ball. Whatever happened, many of Makoun's passes started to get cut out, at the same time, more spaces began to develop. I found it interesting.

Yes, Mark Hughes had Danny Murphy and the midfield watching for those passes and doing eactly that using it to their advantage especially down our right side :(

At that point bringing in Cuellar might have been a good option just after Walker had scored his goal. The other thing to do is to have Makoun be alert to the changes in the second halves of games, or now even the first half because more teams coaches will have spotted this adjustment.

It may be a matter of Makoun mixing up his first touch passes with the option of holding the ball and working with Ashley and Downing to spread the oppositions midfield so they won't be able to close out the Makoun passes so easily.

Â