Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

Just checked AVFC - he is not listed on the squads page!

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/FirstTeam

Read into that as you wish....

Mind you, neither are El Ahmadi, Culverhouse or Karsa and they haven't found a picture of Brett Holman yet, so it may just be an updating problem!

and Petrov is still showing in the squad...

i think the page needs updating.

Petrov shouldnt be removed from the squad page.

Just checked AVFC - he is not listed on the squads page!

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/FirstTeam

Read into that as you wish....

Mind you, neither are El Ahmadi, Culverhouse or Karsa and they haven't found a picture of Brett Holman yet, so it may just be an updating problem!

and Petrov is still showing in the squad...

i think the page needs updating.

Petrov shouldnt be removed from the squad page.

Plus the OS is the last place to look for updated info

McCann? how many CL he play?

A weak argument. You're not going to try and tell us that playing in the CL is proof of someone being a great player are you?

Djimi Traore has a champions league winners medal for gods sake.

I bet there are plenty of players who have played in the champions league that would do a lot worse than McCann did for us.

To be fair to Gavin McCann he was by no means a world beater but I thought he was worth a new deal that time, when O'Neill mentioned he'd be given one at Christmas but he was sold the summer after. Was very much an unsung hero of O'Leary's side. An when he signed him I must admit I was left scratching my head but look who we replaced him with NRC for £8.5mil. He was not quiet Gareth Barry, Ian Taylor, James Milner, Stan Petrov, George Boateng but he's not too far down the list of players who've played centre mid for us the last ten years. Better than Davis (bar that one season), Kinsella, Leonhardsen, Berson, Bakke, Reo-Coker, Salifou, Djemba-Djemba, Gardner, Gudjohnsson, My god we pissed away good money no wonder Doug kept money tight.

McCann was fairly gash, tbf. Let's not turn him into a retrospective VP legend!

He was no Andrea Pirlo, but gave his all and was good in a challenge, could also pass the ball 5 yards unlike Nige.

McCann wasn't gash. I like gash. He was utter balls is what he was.

He could barely pass, couldn't keep possession and although tackling was one of his strong points, he fouled a lot and constantly moaned at the referee. He was bad-tempered and untalented. I was more glad when we got shot of him than I was when NRC left. Bolton seems to be the shit Villa midfielder retirement home.

A weak argument. You're not going to try and tell us that playing in the CL is proof of someone being a great player are you?

I bet there are plenty of players who have played in the champions league that would do a lot worse than McCann did for us.

No. Look at the bigger picture. He excelled against quality opposition in the CL with Lyon.. even scoring against Real. McCann used to lose the ball playing against Sheffield United.

No. Look at the bigger picture. He excelled against quality opposition in the CL with Lyon.. even scoring against Real. McCann used to lose the ball playing against Sheffield United.

If we ever play in the Champions League then this may be a relevant argument. In the meantime I think it's more important to focus on his ability to cope in the Premier League.

I don't think it's a coincidence that his best game for us was against Man United, a team that gives you more time on the ball and relies less on the physicality of their players. Thing is, there are a good few teams who don't give you time on the ball, who's game revolves around closing down players quickly and in those games Makoun seemed very much ineffectual. Perhaps he will learn to adapt to the pace of the Premier League, but the risk is if he do give him more time and he flops his value will drop even more than it already has done.

although tackling was one of his strong points, he fouled a lot and constantly moaned at the referee. He was bad-tempered and untalented.
that's reflected in his disciplinary record:

03/4 - 7 yellows 2 reds

04/5 - 3 yellows (bit of a light season there, what went wrong?)

05/6 - 9 yellows

06/7 - 10 yellows

Now I see who MaKoun was trying to emulate! :lol:

so hes not allowed any time to adjust to the pace of the game?

Essien Henry even our JPA took 6 months to score... time is needed to adjust to the Premier League.

The fact that people write him off after 7 games is embarrassing. I guess it wont matter anyway as he seems to be leaving.

so hes not allowed any time to adjust to the pace of the game?

Essien Henry even our JPA took 6 months to score... time is needed to adjust to the Premier League.

The fact that people write him off after 7 games is embarrassing. I guess it wont matter anyway as he seems to be leaving.

I agree KSV

Makoun played seven games where he'd constantly give a simple short pass to a team mate and look for a return that never came, except from Petrov but they could hardly just pass to each other all game because they were playing next to each other. He was easing himself in to the pace of the Premiership and he did get caught out, yes, but it was seven games.

The argument that because he hasn't adjusted to the PL, he isn't a good player is a weird one. If KEA struggles in his first few games are we going to conclude that he's not good enough, or are we going to give him more time for him to adjust, and then make our judgements?

The argument that because he hasn't adjusted to the PL, he isn't a good player is a weird one. If KEA struggles in his first few games are we going to conclude that he's not good enough, or are we going to give him more time for him to adjust, and then make our judgements?

look at that shevchenko lad - load of rubbish

forlan too, he was crap

Not sure where anyone has said that. If you were referring to my post then I suggest you read it again because at no point did I say anything of the sort.

McCann was fairly gash, tbf. Let's not turn him into a retrospective VP legend!
This. We're supposed to be positive and looking forward, not hankering over the days when we had mccant in our midfield

He could be as brilliant a player as the world has ever seen but if he can't cut it in the premier league there's not much mileage in him trying to stay with a PL club is there?

Someone mentioned Shevchenko and Forlan above. They are both great players but neither really found a way to show their best in the premier league and I'm sure they would both say that getting out was a good move for them.

Â