• Downing
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bannan (for Reo-Coker 71)
    • Delfouneso (for Carew 71)

Is there anyone who understands why Houlier plays Gabby on the left and Downing in the hole? Its bizzare

Gabby always ends up on the left anyway. That's the problem with playing him up front alone or as the main striker, I'm not sure he would work with Delfouneso up front. Gabby should have scored in the first minute, then Houllier would have been a genius.

I thought NRC was much better than Petrov...his passing was actually decisive...Petrov wasn't having any impact and his passes were all square.

I think it's time that Houllier left, 3 league wins since September simply isn't good enough. His tactics are completely silly and its costing us games, the players are losing form and the players can be at fault for that but this year we lost one major player (Milner) and we have basically the same team as last year and we have gone from being in Europe also possible Champions League threats to relegation candidates, it isn't looking good.

Walker looks a real player to me. Thought we were the better team for long periods, if Gabby stuck away that early chance ( which he should have ) then i think the result could have been very different.

Still in the shit but reasons to be optimistic.

Gabby missed a sitter in the first minute

Clark off the bar

Carew off the bar

Fonz off the bar

Collins rebound wide absolute sitter

Downing chance

Johnson nearly with an og just wide

We should have **** smashed them the lucky c unts

Good performance, more fight and unlcuky not to win even though we had a striker playing upfront who is the laziest i have ever seen in my life. If he could have been bothered we probably would have won, just needed that extra bit of effort. He couldn't even lay the ball off to Walker properly.

Clark played vey well, the whole defence did to be honest. The problem was every time they cleared it, it was a Blues playing picking up the loose ball. Stan looks so heavy legged its untrue, his stupid pass back to Friedel led to their goal. Be glad to see Makoun come in and hopefully get Delph back. Downing did pretty well in the hole too.

Is there anyone who understands why Houlier plays Gabby on the left and Downing in the hole? Its bizzare

Gabby always ends up on the left anyway. That's the problem with playing him up front alone or as the main striker, I'm not sure he would work with Delfouneso up front. Gabby should have scored in the first minute, then Houllier would have been a genius.

It's completely different when Gabby plays striker, when he's on the wing he needs to track back and when he's up top he can wait for a break at the half way line like he did when we got the Downing chance. And strikers are supposed to run the channels nowadays if they capable.

In principle, I agree we should go with 2 up top. The problem is we do not have the central mid-fielders to do that. We need 3 in the mid-field to hold the game. When we put on Bannan and Delph, we moved to 2 up front and OVERALL that's when the scum kept the most sustained pressure on us. I hope Makoun provides enough in the middle that we can push one more up and have a front line of 2. We'll see.

Delf was a great improvement over Carew. 'Course a tree stump would have been about equal with Carew, bar one run where he outpaced Ridgewell :)

I'll get knocked for this.... but Dunne MOTM for me. He was very threatening in attack and solid in defence.... Walker had a good game, as did ALbrighton, and Fonz and Wee Barry looked sharp off the bench.... can't wait for Makoun to come in.

We should have won this game. We played really well at the beginning but we didn't capatlise on it. To be fair I'm just glad the defence looked a lot sharper. Collins and Dunne looked good together and Walker will get better with time as he beds in to the team.

Overall im satisfied with the point but i thought we should have won easily. We desperately need a new striker to put these chances away, although saying that i thought Delfouneso looked very good when he came on - we should be using him alot more ans should start against City.

Special mention today goes to Petrov...he was truly awful. Didnt actually realise he was playing until after about 30 minuted when he suddenly popped up from nowhere and gave the ball away. Hes just SO slow aswell - he cant keep up with play and the game just passes him by. Fingers crossed MoN will take over at WHU pretty sharpish and make him his first signing. And i hop GH sees Makoun as Petrov's replacement and NOT NRC's. Couldnt believe he subbed NRC instead of Petrov today.

good point,could of had all 3 if we took a couple of good chances. Walker was very good goin forward,bit shaky goin the other way though. Dunne and Collins played well together. definatly need to sign a striker before the window shuts. I wish Allbrighton would stop giving stupid free kicks away aswell. man of the match for me would be Dunne.

good point,could of had all 3 if we took a couple of good chances. Walker was very good goin forward,bit shaky goin the other way though. Dunne and Collins played well together. definatly need to sign a striker before the window shuts. I wish Allbrighton would stop giving stupid free kicks away aswell. man of the match for me would be Dunne.

It was one hell of a frustrating match - I was screaming in frustration in the end just from the sheer rotten luck in front of goal. It's the way our season is going - there often seems to be a few coats of white paint between winning and losing.

Hard to split Albrighton and Walker for man of the match - I think this is because they played as a unit and really seem to have developed a good understanding.

I reckon Downing has left the building mentally - he seemed to not give a **** when he gave the ball away and when Clark wouldn't throw to him at throw-ins on a number of occasions he threw his hands up and turned his back to the play. Very disconcerting as he was our best player in the first few months of the season.

Gabby on the wing is frustrating, but he does seem like he's quite markedly improved his left footed crossing and general passing this season, so it's not all bad even though I wouldn't have shunted him out there for an important derby game he has a record of scoring in. But then, he should've scored anyway

It's quite nice having a marauding pacy full-back for once, the novelty hasn't worn off enough to make me complain about the defensive lapses yet, frightening as some of Albrighton's resultant twitchy Scrappy Doo fouling gets

Ain't really into Houllier but tbf this defence had clearly already mysteriously gone to shit before he inherited it, and they weren't too bad today

Friedel - 6 - solid apart from Zigic header at the end

Walker - 6 - good coming forward, not as good defensively

Dunne - 7 - solid and no mistakes

Collins - 6 - would have been 5 if he hadn't scored. Not looking confident and its a disgrace, IMO, that he dislodges King Carlos

Clark - 6 - doing well considering and a threat going forward

Stan - 4 - waste of space for me. Adds nothing and is ambling for the second half

NRC - 7 - bags of energy and short sharp passing. Can't believe he was taken off rather than Stan.

Downing - 6 - okay but this was not the game to bring him into CM. It needed someone to get into Ferguson and stop him playing. I would have had Coker doing this but this would have left Stan and DJ which is pretty weak.

Albie - 8 & MOTM - worked his socks off and looked dangerous. I would have liked to see him and Walker get at Murphy more.

Gabby - 6 - did okay but should have been up front.

Carew - 4 - waste of space. What is the point???

Fonz - 8 - excellent. Bought energy, movement and goal threat. Has to start in front of Carew from now on.

Bannan - 5 - poor but expected no more. If he is coming on he needs to play alongside a stronger CM partner than Stan.

Ged - 5 - poor selection IMO. Carew pants. Cuellar dropped out of order. Petrov should have been subbed much earlier.

Overall im satisfied with the point but i thought we should have won easily. We desperately need a new striker to put these chances away, although saying that i thought Delfouneso looked very good when he came on - we should be using him alot more ans should start against City.

Special mention today goes to Petrov...he was truly awful. Didnt actually realise he was playing until after about 30 minuted when he suddenly popped up from nowhere and gave the ball away. Hes just SO slow aswell - he cant keep up with play and the game just passes him by. Fingers crossed MoN will take over at WHU pretty sharpish and make him his first signing. And i hop GH sees Makoun as Petrov's replacement and NOT NRC's. Couldnt believe he subbed NRC instead of Petrov today.

Huge this for the Pterov part. You can't be that slow around the park and play in this league.

To be honest I dont feel too bad after that. To come back from one nil down shows great character. It was a derby which I think makes people more nervous anyway, so overall not a bad result!

We were fairly solid, they did boss the midfield, but with Makoun to come in, hopefully rhat will change, the defence looked alright, no major draws of breath, except maybe walker in the first half and brad at the end, but brad also made a great save to keep us in it.

On a different day, maybe one of those shots which hit the bar may have dropped in, but overall the positives outweigh the negatives!

Â