• Downing
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bannan (for Reo-Coker 71)
    • Delfouneso (for Carew 71)

At least we went for it and showed a bit of bottle in a crunch game. GH actually got the subs right for the 2nd game in a row so credit where credit is due. If we can take a point at least off City I'll be happy then Wigan is a must-win game. It's performances like this and Chelsea away that makes me think we will be fine but then it's performances like Sunderland at home that make me peer anxiously over my shoulder...

Fonz has got to start unless we buy another striker. We looked a consistent threat when he came on. I said it after the Newcastle shambles and I'll say it again - Carew should not play for us again. He gives us no movement up front, isn't as good at holding it up as he used to be, and seems to have lost at least a yard of pace. We may as well put a shire horse up front.

Gabby looks lost out on the wing, but perhaps GH is trying to get him to remember how to play facing the defence instead of with his back to them? Gabby seems to have turned himself into a target man...he doesn't look dangerous doing that. Maybe that is a downfall of him only having Carew and Heskey as 'elder statesmen' to learn from in training.

I agree with the comment about Petrov and NRC too - they can't boss the midfield and it costs us. Hopefully, Makoun will adjust to the pace quickly and we can have him with one other and it'll make a difference. I'd have no problem with us letting NRC and Petrov go in the summer.

We should have won this easily. If Gabby scores in the first 10 minutes, and JC's header drops in instad of hitting the bar, SHA are ruined, and we go on to win easily.

But it was not to be, and in the end we were lucky not to lose after the ugly giraffe nearly snuck one in. we will be bottom over the next couple of weeks, but we will come home strong. Makoun would have made a big difference IMO.

McLeish said: "We have come a long way in a couple of years in terms of these games and the results.

"Had we been a wee bit more clinical we would have seen it through.

"When it was 1-0 we really had to turn the screw but Villa came back into it.

"I felt we played some really good football.

"Collins' shot wasn't even on target, it hit one of our defenders and went in. Everything that could go wrong did with that goal did."

LOL at the Collins bit..mccleish remember we hit the crossbar 4 times.. we would've dominated the game if we had put them away.

McLeish said: "We have come a long way in a couple of years in terms of these games and the results.

"Had we been a wee bit more clinical we would have seen it through.

"When it was 1-0 we really had to turn the screw but Villa came back into it.

"I felt we played some really good football.

"Collins' shot wasn't even on target, it hit one of our defenders and went in. Everything that could go wrong did with that goal did."

LOL at the Collins bit..mccleish remember we hit the crossbar 4 times.. we would've dominated the game if we had put them away.

haha, did he see their goal! shit free kick by gardner that deflected off about 4 players straight to johnson. jammy ****

I thought we played very well, always looked like scoring even when we went 1-0 down.

The trouble with Villa as always is not taking their chances. We created so much but failed to put the ball in the net.

Thought albrighton would have attacked murphy a bit more but had a decent game nonetheless.

Their goal was jammy as it gets but we always knew that is SHa were to score it would be from a set piece.

Collins must has given the ball back to blues at least 6 times during the game, very frustraiting.

22k attendance takes the piss, as if they cant sell out! there was probably more poice than SHA fans at the stadium

Â