Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

I've said he should go but can't believe how quick fans were to turn on him.

Sorry but he sealed his own fate. The night he had a public love fest with his lover Liverpool - that was the beginning of the end.

As with Hodgson, since then it is only a question of when.

That night lifted the coffin lid for me, tonight certainly sealed it.

As for Allardyce, I'd take him, I think it is the same as Redknapp, always been seen as a "Big guy at a small club". I think he'd do a job at a club of us, or Everton's stature.

Oh, and before someone points out Newcastle, they were 9th when they sacked him, and if I remember correctly, above us at the time !

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier out, Allardyce in on an 18 month contract with bonuses. Tell him the truth, but if he impresses he keeps the job, but we might be looking elsewhere.

Anyone but Allardyce for me. It's like treating a veruca by amputating the leg.

Agree about fat Sam.

When he was appointed, I wasn't a big fan of him, but after what I've been hearing..... about the players and what he is doing at Villa, I 100% want him to stay. I think the majority of all of this is the players fault. And this is all a hangover from MON's departure.

He's done it at other clubs, IMO to make MON look amazing. He does well at a club, leaves, and then the club suffers afterwards. Leicester went down after he left, Rangers dominated the Scottish League after MON left, and Celtic were in a financial mess afterwards.

The poor 'behaviour' of the squad is another problem MON had, but refused to address it.

I get the feeling that MON is in it to make himself look good, but Houllier is actually employed by AVFC to improve the club and help it achieve its aims and that Houllier actually has the long-term interests of the club in heart.

Back him or sack him time. I personally think he has got to have a chance to bring some players in. A few quality additions and we will be a better much better side

To back him we would need to bring in about 7-8 players, this isn't gonna happen. We need to bring in a manager who, for now can work with these players and get us out of trouble.

Very much this.

With the right manager the players we have are good enough to have easily finished in the top 10. With Houllier in charge there is a good chance we will go down.

I honestly think we could bring in 11 players in the next 3 weeks but under this pratt it wouldn't make any difference. We have some good players he just isn't getting anywhere near the best out of them. In fact isn't getting anything out of most of them.

I have major doubts that Randy will be willing to swallow some pride and admit he **** up though by sacking this incompetent, useless fool.

Weren't you supporting him 6 hours ago?

I meant in the game, in the space of 10 minutes, it went from chanting Houllier's army to getting sacked in the morning.

As for supporting him, I said he had this and the Blues match to save his job, as far as I'm concerned the showing tonight tells me we don't even need to go that far (Blues match)

Not saying they are wrong but I've never been part of something like that, so much anger at a football match towards own people. It shocked me.

I'm really disappointed with tonights result. They were no better then us before the sending off though. Im unsure on the sacking of GH as I would like to see him bring in some of his own players but we cant afford that now with our position in the league.

The only thing I know for sure is that Big Sam isn't the answer. He will prevent relegation but he will never reach the heights of MON or take us any further.

Sorry but he sealed his own fate. The night he had a public love fest with his lover Liverpool - that was the beginning of the end.

As with Hodgson, since then it is only a question of when.

That night lifted the coffin lid for me, tonight certainly sealed it.

As for Allardyce, I'd take him, I think it is the same as Redknapp, always been seen as a "Big guy at a small club". I think he'd do a job at a club of us, or Everton's stature.

Oh, and before someone points out Newcastle, they were 9th when they sacked him, and if I remember correctly, above us at the time !

Think he might be referring to the disgrace to AVFC that some of our 'supporters' were tonight, singing Houllier's name (albeit probably in vein) and then within five minutes calling for his head.

Now tell me, is that productive. I'm embarrassed. I'm just **** glad the press haven't really picked up on it.

Just look at Petrovs reaction at being subbed, they have no confidence in what he is doing!

What was his reaction, out of interest?

Shaking his head, threw the armband at NRC, walked straight past Houllier and then GMac tried to calm him down but he refused, completely pissed off but he was not happy coming off! Did make me laugh when he handed the armband to NRC and then he was also subbed!

Right, probably going to get my head bitten off here but who cares.

MON bought a team of players who could play to the strengths he wanted to use them for. Houllier has not yet had this chance. Houllier has tried to play MON's team of players to the way he wants the team to play. It has obviously not worked. How many managers come in and stick to the ways of a previous manager? Almost every manager, if not all, try to get the team to play the way they want to. Every team goes through a bad run, some longer than others, but teams usually tend to come out of them. I know I shouldn't be comparing us to them but look at West Brom. They were on a great run at the start of the season and have now lost five games in a row and just about outside of the relegation zone. If that's a bad example look at Chelsea, and if that's a bad one look at Everton.

I guess what I'm trying to say is trying to do your job with someone elses tools isn't easy until you can buy your own, which Houllier WILL be given the chance to do. He won't be sacked tonight, tomorrow morning, or at the weekend. The only way he will be sacked is if we get relegated or he no longer wants the job and agrees to leave.

Until then, Gerard Houllier is our manager, and I think we will turn this around. Probably later rather than sooner but we will just about dodge relegation in my opinion. Our fixture list once we get past Man City at home is a lot easier than the games we've had to play under him.

Oh and RE: MON, of course he has to take some of the blame, not all, but some, considering he left his group of players in the lurch and walked out on us so close to the season starting. He knew this would happen this season due to player revolt and high wage bill (when he found it difficult to make it any lower) so left at the first opportunity. He has a decent CV and doesn't want to tarnish it by a relegation battling season at Aston Villa when he could much rather take a year out and look at options.

Have faith, I know it's difficult at the minute and no one will agree with me but the board see something in him, and this is why we don't own a football club and they do.

Up the Villa

I agree with what you are saying, i was saying he was the wrong man to work with these players from the start. The problem i have is that he is only getting performances out of 2-3 players in this squad and even then he's decided not to play Albrighton anymore. So Houllier essentially needs to sign at least 6 players who can play his way, which is gonna cost a fortune and even then Houllier hasn't shown enough to prove he is capable of doing such a thing.

I dont think we have any time to wait. WE are in the bottom 3. We need someone who can work with this squad NOW and reassess in the summer. That man is Allardyce. As much as i hate the bloke and his football (wouldn't be that much worse than MON's) he keeps teams up and plays similar football to MON.

I meant in the game, in the space of 10 minutes, it went from chanting Houllier's army to getting sacked in the morning.

Fair enough for the clarification and I'm sorry to have got the wrong end of your previous post.

On the x's claret and blue army comment, I have always wondered whether that is the crowd showing support for the manager or showing the support for the team using the generic so and so's army chant.

Is it chanting in support of the manager, necessarily?

Right, probably going to get my head bitten off here but who cares.

MON bought a team of players who could play to the strengths he wanted to use them for. Houllier has not yet had this chance. Houllier has tried to play MON's team of players to the way he wants the team to play. It has obviously not worked. How many managers come in and stick to the ways of a previous manager? Almost every manager, if not all, try to get the team to play the way they want to. Every team goes through a bad run, some longer than others, but teams usually tend to come out of them. I know I shouldn't be comparing us to them but look at West Brom. They were on a great run at the start of the season and have now lost five games in a row and just about outside of the relegation zone. If that's a bad example look at Chelsea, and if that's a bad one look at Everton.

I guess what I'm trying to say is trying to do your job with someone elses tools isn't easy until you can buy your own, which Houllier WILL be given the chance to do. He won't be sacked tonight, tomorrow morning, or at the weekend. The only way he will be sacked is if we get relegated or he no longer wants the job and agrees to leave.

Until then, Gerard Houllier is our manager, and I think we will turn this around. Probably later rather than sooner but we will just about dodge relegation in my opinion. Our fixture list once we get past Man City at home is a lot easier than the games we've had to play under him.

Oh and RE: MON, of course he has to take some of the blame, not all, but some, considering he left his group of players in the lurch and walked out on us so close to the season starting. He knew this would happen this season due to player revolt and high wage bill (when he found it difficult to make it any lower) so left at the first opportunity. He has a decent CV and doesn't want to tarnish it by a relegation battling season at Aston Villa when he could much rather take a year out and look at options.

Have faith, I know it's difficult at the minute and no one will agree with me but the board see something in him, and this is why we don't own a football club and they do.

Up the Villa

You're certainly correct about using someone else's tools. Clearly MON had a horses for courses mentality when he purchased his players. GH is trying to play more attractive football and is feeling some resistance from the players, who arguably know their own strengths. The only way around this is to bring in at least half a dozen players, or more, over the next two windows and attempt to get the current players out with swaps etc.

GH might turn it around eventually but unfortunately he's placed us into a really poor position and it looks like the players have no interest in the club/playing for him. What Randy needs to consider, before spending any money this window is, is GH and his management team likely to get any more out of this current squad. Because if they can't, then we need to spend considerably this nth in the hope that GH does indeed keep us up, even by the skin of his teeth. I'm not sure that Randy will take that risk.

Every player hates being subbed, Petrov is lucky he lasted that long he was **** shit.

I don't think he is getting sacked so the best thing to do is everyone pull together.

What worries me most is that the other clubs who are doing shit are supporting the team, making it a difficult atmosphere and being willing to go for it, whereas VP was silent tonight and it was just pressure from the off, I thought we'd be going mad tonight to make a great atmosphere post Chelsea, every fan has a right to express whatever they feel at a match I just think we're shooting ourselves in the foot, it's like we have decided we have a divine right to be flirting with the top four and finishing 6th, it's a hard league, no easy games, we can only stick with them and try to back them.

Back him or sack him time. I personally think he has got to have a chance to bring some players in. A few quality additions and we will be a better much better side

Seriously. What quality players are going to join a club in free-fall, a club where the players clearly dont want to play for the manager or cant because of how he's asking them to play? I just cannot see any decent quality player wanting to walk into this mess. On top of that the players he will possibley be frogs and we all know what they are like if its not going well-lazy bstards!

Fair enough for the clarification and I'm sorry to have got the wrong end of your previous post.

On the x's claret and blue army comment, I have always wondered whether that is the crowd showing support for the manager or showing the support for the team using the generic so and so's army chant.

Is it chanting in support of the manager, necessarily?

Probably not but when you include his name, it certainly feels like it.

Anyway, football is a cruel game. He should go but it's funny, Heskey misses a sitter, if he scores that, there's a good possibility we go onto win the match and suddenly things look slightly rosier. Instead, he misses, gets sent off, lose the match and should be sacked.

What a big game Blues is.

these are dark times, i'm worried like all villa times however sacking the manager is not the answer. He will have to revert to gabby up front on his own against blues and this has reaped the rewards against them in the past. Blackpool are in my eyes only going in 1 direction I can see them doing a hull at the end of the day they are shit, baggies are also in freefall, besides those 2 westham are utter dogshite and wigan and wolves aren't much better I look at our squad of players and think surely we can't go down. I agree with the previous post that after we get past the city game our fixtures look alot better on the eye and I think we will pull through, this is a transition period I will judge houllier this time next year. UTV keep the faith, turning on houllier is not the answer let's get behind him and go beat the scum.

Â