Houllier: Back him or sack him?

Stu_The_Villan

Houlier - back him or sack him?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

What worries me is we need to keep the level of performance today and against Chelsea up and not fall back like we did against Sunderland (although I think that was more a lack of tactical nouse rather than fight and Heskey getting sent off didn't help, in fact you could argue that lost us the game).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What worries me is we need to keep the level of performance today and against Chelsea up and not fall back like we did against Sunderland (although I think that was more a lack of tactical nouse rather than fight and Heskey getting sent off didn't help, in fact you could argue that lost us the game).

Although we didn't play to well that game, before the sending off, Sunderland had done very little in the game and we certainly didn't look like losing it which was frustating.

We are still in the shit and IMo will struggle to get out of it. No points from the next two and a new manager at Wet Spam and we could be bottom before Makoun makes his debut
Makoun should be making his debut against Man City.

The performance against Chelsea included conceding three goals.

Today, apart from the one chance that Derbyshire fluffed, we didn't really look like conceding.

Sunderland was two poor sides where a speculative shot was going to give the goal that settled it, which is how it turned out.

Today we looked pretty assured most of the time and should have won at a canter.

4 points from the next two games and we are on our way...

Playing the same 11 players irrespective of form all season resulting in second half of season collapse; only ever having plan a "a"; refusing to use substitutes; not bothering to buy a right back for a year; playing RB's at LB, and centre backs at RB; having no scouting system to speak of; having no confidence in our youth system and thus refusing to invest in continuity; squandering resources bringing in second rate players on scandalous wages and not playing them; generally struggled in the transfer market; lost the dressing room (GH never had the dressing room as the lunatics were already running the asylum)..... and so much more.

This is not good management.

I will admit MON was the right man when he joined and credit is due for a wembley final, finishing 6th 3 times, buying Ash, Milner and Delph, always showing passion on the touchline and in interviews and generally respecting the fans, but he did not build an empire, he was an of-the-moment manager. He ran off like a coward - it was his bed and didn't fancy lying in it, says it all. I lost all respect for him after that.

Bang on

I willl also largely endorse this view.

Excellent analysis.

The performance against Chelsea included conceding three goals.

Today, apart from the one chance that Derbyshire fluffed, we didn't really look like conceding.

Sunderland was two poor sides where a speculative shot was going to give the goal that settled it, which is how it turned out.

Today we looked pretty assured most of the time and should have won at a canter.

4 points from the next two games and we are on our way...

Too right, I am looking forward to seeing this side rebuilt, we have some amazing kids coming through and in my time I have never seen so many.

Allbrightons interview comment about the same 11 getting picked says to me that Quitters departure just saved us some money and from losing some players.

I am confident we wont go down now, they look as though they want it now

Playing the same 11 players irrespective of form all season resulting in second half of season collapse; only ever having plan a "a"; refusing to use substitutes; not bothering to buy a right back for a year; playing RB's at LB, and centre backs at RB; having no scouting system to speak of; having no confidence in our youth system and thus refusing to invest in continuity; squandering resources bringing in second rate players on scandalous wages and not playing them; generally struggled in the transfer market; lost the dressing room (GH never had the dressing room as the lunatics were already running the asylum)..... and so much more.

This is not good management.

I will admit MON was the right man when he joined and credit is due for a wembley final, finishing 6th 3 times, buying Ash, Milner and Delph, always showing passion on the touchline and in interviews and generally respecting the fans, but he did not build an empire, he was an of-the-moment manager. He ran off like a coward - it was his bed and didn't fancy lying in it, says it all. I lost all respect for him after that.

Bang on

I willl also largely endorse this view.

Excellent analysis.

:notworthy:

I must admit I quite like GH. But that's not to say he's definitely the man for the job.

He has made some pretty misguided remarks, starting with what he said about 7th to 12th place when he joined. Hard to forgive the fiasco at the Liverpool game - for the way we played AND the way GH carried on. Also hard to forgive a few of the other performances, like the game against SHA in the league cup. Also, he hasn't been able to get decent performances out of Ireland or Carew. Then there's the defense, Richard Dunne has made some dreadful blunders, but still seems to get picked every time. Ditto Warnock, but at least he's no longer getting picked.

On the plus side I actually like most of what he says, and he says quite a lot! I also agree with his intention to make the players live locally - how else do you get a sense of belonging to the club?

It's early days, but he seems to be half decent in the transfer market.

Most important of all, he has weathered the recent storm (partly of his own making, but mostly not his fault) with a reasonable amount of dignity, despite looking a bit gormless in the dugout on occasion.

I think there's a decent chance that the worst is behind us and we can build a bit of positive momentum for a change. If we can do that, it's just possible that GH can win the fans over and actually build a very good legacy here. We may yet start to love GH.

I think Houllier is a top manager but his weakness seems to be this kind of thing - picking up the pieces. Had MON resigned in early July I think we'd be doing a lot better this season.

I agree with this. A really good preseason together will make such a big difference. We WILL survive this year and next year we will be in the top pack again. No doubt.

He's done a good deal with Lyon for Makoun, not forgetting Walker. I think, if he can show his intent and commitment to Villa by bringing in a couple of exceptional signings, then he'll win over a lot of his doubters. And for what its worth I truly believe we'll finish mid-table.

I really was starting to believe Lerner had got the wrong man.........maybe we have? But for some reason I'd like to see him given another season, just to see how his plans for us pan out.

He got the big decisions right today for me. Playing Walker and dropping CC. Bringing in Bannan and Fonz which livened our team in 2nd half.

Also at the end did he tell the players to go clap the fans or something like that?

So glad to see the majority of fans now coming around to Houllier, or at least laying off him abit.

I was truely worried that fan pressure would build to a point where Randy caved in, and sacked him. I think all this would have done is de-stabilised things further and increased our chances of being relegated.

Dont get me wrong, Houllier was by no means my first choice when MON went, and some of his media comments and systems he has tried to introduce into training etc seemed to have beeen done poorly. However he inherited a very dodgy team at a bad time that regardless of what he did was always going to fall back into mid table once Milner left. Add to that the injurys, the dressing room unrest he inherited, and its fair to say not many managers would have done much better in the time so far.

On the plus side its hugely exciting to see the amount of very good youngsters on the threshold of the first team. Add to this some of Houlliers signings and im looking forward to what he could do with this team.

I was a massive MON fan, but only the truely blinkered can deny what an awfull mess he left us in. I think if Kmac had been put in charge full time we would be in exactly the same position.

He has done that the last 2-3 games now, walks on the pitch and tells the players to go to the Villa supporters....Maybe he is doing that off his own back, maybe someone has told him he should be doing that....It will only look like he's trying to earn brownie points with the fans because he never did it before.

The fans go to see the players, atleast they're going over to the Villa fans after the games now instead of walking off with their heads down.

I see these past few months as a learning curve for Houllier. Things went ok at first so there wasn't much scrutiny but end of November-December was a truly dreadful time and I think the learning curve has been very steep for him but hopefully he's getting into the job now.

Â