The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

I'm not all that impressed with the price of it as I think it's rather expensive. Plus I've never really seen the point in an iPad, as they are generally too large to carry around. This iPad Mini has me intrigued though and I might buy the 16GB model. The fact that it could probably fit in a coat pocket (rain coat etc) means it could be pretty useful for my regular train journey down to Villa Park. Will films look good on it? That's my main concern as I'm a big film fan and I would probably be using it to watch films mainly. I've got a lot of digital copies on my iTunes account, yet currently don't own a portable device that I can play them on. This would allow me to do that.

Anyway, I'm still not 100% convinced by the need for a tablet, yet I suppose you don't have to need every gadget in order to buy it...

Can I ask why you only consider Apple products?

I mean if you mainly just wanted to watch Video for example the Super Amoled Plus display on 7.7 inch Galaxy Tab from last year will look better than this by miles for example. Plus will be no more than 200 pounds.

Would you not fit your requirements with the best device to fit your needs? You can get your video from iTunes onto other devices pretty easily.

Perhaps because he's locked in to iTunes? That's the way it works, you buy stuff through it and you're locked in forever.

Although going from phone to tablet is a bit easier to escape because you have to buy the same apps over again anyway with Apple tablets, where on A****** the same apps you've bought just scale.

I like my ipad 2, not bothered about a new one but business is business. Though it's a big wild releasing the 4 so fast, sounds like catch up panic to me. But hey. They can afford it.

Plus i'm not locked into itunes. It's not quite as easy as the other services but hey.

Perhaps because he's locked in to iTunes? That's the way it works, you buy stuff through it and you're locked in forever.

Although going from phone to tablet is a bit easier to escape because you have to buy the same apps over again anyway with Apple tablets, where on A****** the same apps you've bought just scale.

I don't think either of these things are true

Why?

He probably doesn't think either of those things are true, because they're not true.

You can play m4a files and m4v files on non iTunes and non-apple devices. you can, if you wish, convert m4a files to mp3 or other formats, for free, and use them on other types of devices.

Whilst it's true that some app makers for apple make seperate versions of their app for phone and pad, the phone ones all work on iPads. Most apps now are made for both, some iPad apps are (re-)written for iPad specifically to make use of the greater resolution

You can't use apple apps on an android tablet and you can't use android ones on an apple device.

Why?

Pretty much what Blandy said.

Other devices play itunes formats. You can download fro iTunes in non itunes format, or you can convert your stuff, using itunes, to standard mp3s. Might be a bit time consuming if you've got a whole library, fair enough. But you're certainly not locked in.

And your apps will work on both iPhones and Ipads. Assuming you sync everything you don't have to download everything again.

As Blandy said, there are some apps that have separate iPad specific versions. but the iphone equivalent will still work on the ipad.

I think the lock in is coming with iCloud integration. Steveo switched away from Apple with pretty minimal effort. But iCloud is the killer here if or when everyone is on LTE.

Can you ask Apple to send your library to Google or Microsoft?

I'm hoping the European Comission act on this fast. They have been a beacon to the world in dealing with these tech companies. They need punish Microsoft for the non selection of browser. They make USB ubiquitous for phones. They need to act on lockin when your library is in the cloud.

However big these companies get, they are the bitches of government. They need to remember that.

The Apple 'apology' that they've been forced to put on their web site by a UK court:

Samsung / Apple UK judgment

On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic(UK) Limited’s Galaxy Tablet Computer, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do notinfringe Apple’s registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the Highcourt is available on the following link www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Patents/2012/1882.html.

In the ruling, the judge made several important points comparing the designs of the Apple and Samsung products:

"The extreme simplicity of the Apple design is striking. Overall it has undecorated flat surfaces with a plate of glass on the front all the way out to a very thin rim and a blank back. There is a crisp edge around the rim and a combination of curves, both at the corners and the sides. The design looks like an object the informed user would want to pick up and hold. It is an understated, smooth and simple product. It is a cool design."

"The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on 18 October 2012. A copy of the Court of Appeal’s judgment is available on the following link www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2012/1339.html. There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe.

However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design. A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc. So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad.

Tossers.

I think the lock in is coming with iCloud integration. Steveo switched away from Apple with pretty minimal effort. But iCloud is the killer here if or when everyone is on LTE.

Can you ask Apple to send your library to Google or Microsoft?

I'm hoping the European Comission act on this fast. They have been a beacon to the world in dealing with these tech companies. They need punish Microsoft for the non selection of browser. They make USB ubiquitous for phones. They need to act on lockin when your library is in the cloud.

However big these companies get, they are the bitches of government. They need to remember that.

I think you can send your library from iTunes to Amazon Cloud. You have to pay if it's large. Can you send your Microsoft library or Google library to each other? I think the point is kind of your second one, that all these tech companies are trying to maximise their revenues vi several means, and not all of them are necessarily "user" based. Yes, they try and make products or services people want to buy and use, but they also want to gain an advantage over their competitors. Sometimes via better products, sometimes by innovation or refinement, sometimes by protecting (via patents or lock in), sometimes by buying up competition.

Personally I think it's ludicrous to particularly favour one over any other of them and even more ludicrous to slam other people for their choices. Ultimately they all have their pros and cons.

Apple really don't want to pay any respect to our courts...

The 'apology' above ended up with them back in court and earned them a reprimand and extra orders, one being that they had to place a correction to the statement, in at least 11 point font, on their homepage.

So what they've done is specifically altered their homepage to, as far as possible, hide this statement. They've actually altered the way their UK homepage displays so you are forced to scroll to see any mention of the court order Link.

rocket polishers

My point being all tv's look identical yet nobody gets to patent their design do they? Apple copied tablet computers made by Microsoft in 10 years ago which were rectangles with a touch screen. Yet like the non innovating company they have become, they're trying a new tactic of patenting things as broad as a rectangle with rounded edges as a weapon to extort or bully other companies out of money.

The end will only come if Samsung appeal to the Supreme court and they decide on the outstanding case and have apples absurdly broad patents struck down. But as for consumers, we suffer as companies avoid using common designs for fear of litigation from a vile company like Apple.

Â