The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

You don't need a credit card to "sign up", Connor, but you do need some way to pay money for things you buy, if you later want to buy something - obviously Free apps and music are available without having a payment method.

I did it for the US version, to get some free apps that were'nt available in the UK.

I think when it comes to the bit of the sign up where it asks for payment method, I selected credit card, then "none".

Wouldn't you be better off setting it up with her details? so she can then buy apps or music or books or whatever?

Well I want to set it up with her details but let her add her credit card details after I give it to her. I don't want her to know what I'm getting her.

So I can create the account and then install some free apps?

Yes. Use her e mail and address etc. and pick a password she can remember

Well I want to set it up with her details but let her add her credit card details after I give it to her. I don't want her to know what I'm getting her.

So I can create the account and then install some free apps?

Yeah, I did this for my mum last year when I got her an iPod. It is actually trickier than it might look to make an iTunes account without a credit card but it is possible. Apple seem happy to have users who dont have credit cards (they sure sell a lot of music to under 18s) but I think they deliberately make things as unintuitive as possible so you will just put one in. Things might have changed in the last 12 months or so, but this is the guide I used: (how to geek)

I just purchased my first ever Apple device. I feel dirty even though it's not for me.

My logic in getting the ipad Mini for my mother is Google Play store does not allow video rentals in Ireland yet. So an ipad is the best option at present.

I'm going for a shower now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to buy an iTunes gift card for someone. It's their birthday Thursday.

Problem 1: I went to the iTunes site and had to read loads of the page to find anything to do with gift cards.

Problem 2: Choice between Apple card and iTunes card. What's the difference?

Problem 3: Take a chance on iTunes card and it's all in dollars. Does it work out the conversion for me? Perhaps there's a UK site?

Problem 4: After ages of looking around the page, find a tiny link at the bottom to change country.

Problem 5: After clicking change country, can't find UK, turns out they lay out the countries in some weird way so you can't follow the alphabetical order and have to read every country.

Problem 6: Choose UK and it takes me back to the main page, Apple cards have now disappeared as an option, obviously they're US only. Obviously.

Problem 7: I want to spend £20. No option. It's £15 or £25. Why? There's $25 on the US site, which is closer to £20. Why don't they like £20?

Problem 8: Can't find any way to get them delivered electronically, and the earliest for free delivery is Friday.

Problem 9: After searching the help pages it turns out you apparently can get them delivered electronically, but only from within the iTunes app, in some menu on the right. Not from the web site you go to to buy this stuff.

What an absolute farce. Apple are a joke. The even bigger joke is that people think they're good with usability.

Actually, I just went to the itunes site without googling "gift cards" out of curiosity to see if it was a complicated as you said, and there's a huge link for gift cards on the front page, so not sure where you were looking.

Weird.

I googled "iTunes Gift Card" and the first result took you to exactly the right place :)

Incidentally you can buy them at most supermarkets too, so that's probably your better option.

So you thought of using a search engine to buy an iTunes gift card, rather than going to the iTunes web site?

Weird ;)

The wife is instructed to go to Morrisons tomorrow.

Actually, I just went to the itunes site without googling "gift cards" out of curiosity to see if it was a complicated as you said, and there's a huge link for gift cards on the front page, so not sure where you were looking.

I swear it wasn't there earlier. Pretend it's not there and you'll see the process.

Yeah if it's not there then it's a small link at the bottom of the page.

But it is there, so it's a bit of a moot point (plus if you were stuck, searching "gift card" on the apple site takes you right there too.

The second bit of your rant (well, steps 7 to 9) is fair enough. But I think it's a bit harsh to have a go at Apple for the first bit.

Yeah if it's not there then it's a small link at the bottom of the page.

But it is there, so it's a bit of a moot point (plus if you were stuck, searching "gift card" on the apple site takes you right there too.

The second bit of your rant (well, steps 7 to 9) is fair enough. But I think it's a bit harsh to have a go at Apple for the first bit.

Yeah fair enough. The £15 or £25 really grinds my gears though. There's no good reason to do it other than arrogance.

Â