Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

Anyway, I'm making a point to complete quests shortly after I have them. I had a habit of travelling around different holds, getting a crap tonne of quests in my quest list and then feeling overwhelmed.

I've got 4 or 5 misc quests lined up now after my first visit to Whiterun, as well as the handful of main quests, so I'm gonna clear those off before carrying on.

Falmer and Chauruses when you're in a dimly lit cavern off-guard. Little bastards. My first fight against a dwarves centurion when it moved  i jumped a foot in the air

The music when something attacks you in the wild is always anxiety-causing cos you don't know if it's a wolf/skeever/mudcrab or a spriggan/troll/dragon suddenly jumping you.

They've done a really good job with the graphics update. It looks stunning on the PS5. Some of the character models are showing their age but the landscapes and lighting are beautiful.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

They've done a really good job with the graphics update. It looks stunning on the PS5. Some of the character models are showing their age but the landscapes and lighting are beautiful.

Yeah I agree. The improved frame rate and load times are welcomed too!

I tried TH Barbarian type on it then saw an enemy a way away and thought, I'll weaken them with arrows first and then slipped totally into sneaky Archer territory. It's hard NOT to when the sneak attacks are so effective with perks. Swear you can get x30 sneak attack damage with a certain dagger right?

Another reason to sneak is evening the numbers disadvantage. In a cave with bandits you'll get their attention and then 5 of them are on you at once, one of whom is an Archer and another as a mage. So your best option is to pick them off first anyway...

• Like 1

So I'm about 4-5 hours into my fresh PS5 playthrough. No mods, just vanilla Skyrim.

I've had 3 crashes so far. One was when picking a Nirnroot from the overworld, one was delivering the finishing blow to a Dragon in the overworld, and the third was in battle in Swindler's Den.

Luckily the quick save and auto save features meant I didn't lose too much progress, but it's still an annoyance considering I hardly had any crashes in my previous playthroughs on the other consoles.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried playing Skyrim a few times on PS3, 4 and 5.  It seems a bit overwhelming to start with.   Anyone have any tips or suggestions when starting a new play through.  Also I saw there was a mods menu on the PS5 main menu.  Has anyone tried any of them,  do they work well,  any particular ones which are worth getting? Thanks guys.

On 28/11/2021 at 08:35, dubbs said:

I've tried playing Skyrim a few times on PS3, 4 and 5.  It seems a bit overwhelming to start with.   Anyone have any tips or suggestions when starting a new play through.  Also I saw there was a mods menu on the PS5 main menu.  Has anyone tried any of them,  do they work well,  any particular ones which are worth getting? Thanks guys.

Don't feel obliged to complete a quest the second you pick it up. Some of them are a distance away, so just work your way there and don't be afraid to detour in a cave or ruin that you pass. I generally hit a few places and fast travel back to Whiterun (first main city) to offload armour, weapons etc.. to the vendors.

Listen to the conversations between NPCs as you can pick up some misc quests via that and end up with some decent loot.

Pick how you want to play - Light armour or Heavy armour? One handed weapons, two handed weapons, archer, mage? Which magic?Try and stick to the skills for your build otherwise you'll end up levelling too quickly and wasting perks. Talking of perks, you don't HAVE to spend them as you get them, you can save them if you're waiting for say, One-Handed to level up so you can spend a perk point on more damage. I save my level up to use during battle so if I'm critically low on health and going to die, I spend the perk and choose health/stamina/magicka and I have full health again.

Have a look at some builds on the Skyrim websites, they'll help you out.

Some of the mods are great, but they lock out trophies. They've been out a while now so the ratings of them will be pretty spot on. Stick to the 5* mods as they're tried, tested and most likely updated regularly. I like the Skyrim in Bloom mod which gives it a lot more life. Merchant gold is another as it can be a pain selling your stuff in one go due to the limited amount merchants hold.

• Thanks 1

Really enjoying my latest PS5 playthrough. It really is still an impressive game after all these years. Some of the attention to detail from a world building pov is top tier, with the interwining storylines of different factions / armies all sitting comfortably side by side and not feeling out of place.

The melee combat is still clunky as **** and some of the voice acting and character models are sub par by today's standards, but you can still clearly see why its regarded as one of the greatest rpgs of all time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Really enjoying my latest PS5 playthrough. It really is still an impressive game after all these years. Some of the attention to detail from a world building pov is top tier, with the interwining storylines of different factions / armies all sitting comfortably side by side and not feeling out of place.

The melee combat is still clunky as **** and some of the voice acting and character models are sub par by today's standards, but you can still clearly see why its regarded as one of the greatest rpgs of all time.

I've just hit level 25. Pretty much managed to stick to my targeted skills. One-Handed, Block, Heavy Armour, Smithing, Enchanting with a bit in Restoration and Speech. Completed the Companion Questline and I'm just working through the Civil War one (sided with the Stormcloaks). I'll carry on with the main questline after that.

• Like 1

It's still an incredible game underneath all the jank and bugs and basic mechanics.

You can see why Bethesda kinda hate it. It's a monster of their own creation. They made this brilliant framework for a fantasy RPG, and it grew to a life of its own, setting a bar so high that they basically got scared of it, and tried in the following years to bolt the current gaming landscape to with paid mods to milk the beast they made.

I thoroughly expect Elder Scrolls 6 to be a let down.

32 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've just hit level 25. Pretty much managed to stick to my targeted skills. One-Handed, Block, Heavy Armour, Smithing, Enchanting with a bit in Restoration and Speech. Completed the Companion Questline and I'm just working through the Civil War one (sided with the Stormcloaks). I'll carry on with the main questline after that.

Have you hunted down any of the Creation Club content that you get with the Anniversary edition yet? First thing I did was the quest for the Daedric armour and then the one which awards you the Hendraheim House which is just brilliant and bloody useful to have. I'll probably track down all the other bits and pieces when I'm a bit further into the game.

That skill level up sound when you gain a level in Sneak or Archery when you ping a bandit in the head with an arrow >>>>

Then his mate comes by, sees his buddy dead with an arrow through his face and goes "Hmmm. Must be the wind."

Â