Delap's Throw In's

dudevillaisnice

Just got the following letter:

Every year it is becoming more and more difficult for football clubs of any standing to meet their friendly engagements and even arrange friendly matches. The consequence is that at the last moment, through cup-tie interference, clubs are compelled to take on teams who will not attract the public.

I beg to tender the following suggestion as a means of getting over the difficulty: that ten or twelve of the most prominent clubs in England combine to arrange home-and-away fixtures each season, the said fixtures to be arranged at a friendly conference about the same time as the International Conference.

This combination might be known as the Association Football Union, and could be managed by representative from each club. Of course, this is in no way to interfere with the National Association; even the suggested matches might be played under cup-tie rules. However, this is a detail.

My object in writing to you at present is merely to draw your attention to the subject, and to suggest a friendly conference to discuss the matter more fully. I would take it as a favour if you would kindly think the matter over, and make whatever suggestions you deem necessary. I am only writing to the following – Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End, West Bromwich Albion, and Aston Villa, and would like to hear what other clubs you would suggest.

I am, yours very truly, William McGregor (Aston Villa F.C.)

P.S. How would Friday, 23rd March, 1888, suit for the friendly conference at Anderton's Hotel, London?

Just got the following letter:

Every year it is becoming more and more difficult for football clubs of any standing to meet their friendly engagements and even arrange friendly matches. The consequence is that at the last moment, through cup-tie interference, clubs are compelled to take on teams who will not attract the public.

I beg to tender the following suggestion as a means of getting over the difficulty: that ten or twelve of the most prominent clubs in England combine to arrange home-and-away fixtures each season, the said fixtures to be arranged at a friendly conference about the same time as the International Conference.

This combination might be known as the Association Football Union, and could be managed by representative from each club. Of course, this is in no way to interfere with the National Association; even the suggested matches might be played under cup-tie rules. However, this is a detail.

My object in writing to you at present is merely to draw your attention to the subject, and to suggest a friendly conference to discuss the matter more fully. I would take it as a favour if you would kindly think the matter over, and make whatever suggestions you deem necessary. I am only writing to the following – Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End, West Bromwich Albion, and Aston Villa, and would like to hear what other clubs you would suggest.

I am, yours very truly, William McGregor (Aston Villa F.C.)

P.S. How would Friday, 23rd March, 1888, suit for the friendly conference at Anderton's Hotel, London?

What's that guy been smoking? I can't see this ever taking off.

And who the **** are Aston Villa anyway? :shock:

There's this thread on VillaTalk where somebody wrote something about Delap's throw-ins that had more or less been discussed a few years before like it was new and everybody took the piss for a week by posting stuff that had also happened long ago as if it was new. It's very amusing.

What the ****? :angry:

We just sold Andy Gray to Wolves? I dont care that we got a British record fee for him, I dont care if we use the money to buy Tony Morley, Des Bremner and Peter Withe, we will never win anything if we sell our best players to rival clubs.

Saunders out.

Has anyone seen his "throw in's"? I swear he does it in every match. bloody long throws in the box, deadly as hell.

It's absurd though, totally takes forever for him to do it.

Anyone know where I can buy presents for new born babies? Some frigid virgin is having a baby and apparently I have to buy the kid something.

He's just being born! He's not going to know if we've bought a gift or not?

**** it, I'll just give it some old frankincense that I've got knocking around, it's not like he'll grow up to be important or anything.

Ha, where are you going? I've got to do the exact same thing. Not sure what I'm going to get yet. I asked her for a postcode, she gave me the details, I put it in google maps and it just told me to follow the star FFS. Even my TomTom just keeps saying 'Look up towards Star, follow this'

Shit technology.

I'm umming and aahing about going to the derby today. I mean yeah we've won our past few games by a good margin, but we're not going to remember this game pretty quickly, the 07/08 season hasn't been THAT good. Nah, I'll not bother.

Looks like there's trouble brewing between North and South Korea.

(This one is actually newsworthy. What you should have done is waited about three years and then started a new thread on the matter!) 8)

Looks like there's trouble brewing between North and South Korea.

(This one is actually newsworthy. What you should have done is waited about three years and then started a new thread on the matter!) 8)

It's OK, a few F-86 Sabres will sort out those Mig-15s.