Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I will withhold judgement on Houllier himself, I do think the bits in the press and that Press conference have conveyed a future that has been dampened down a lot. Houllier seems he's on the same songsheet as the board with their updated plan for the future.

* We belong 7-12th

* We need investment

* Unlikely to be much money

* We will struggle to compete

* We'll mostly go for cups

It's not all bad. It's sensible, progressive and sees us try to keep a pace without risking everything.

All good - just not quite the dream we were sold four years ago. Now the plan looks like survival with cups rather than reaching for the stars.

Funny i could have sworn he said the aim in his 3 years is the top four...

or am i joining in with the rest of the misquoters?

Let's hope the FFF don't mess him (and therefore us) about. I hope his confidence in his good relationship (working relationships often sour very quickly, I think we know) with them stands up.

Otherwise, decent press conference but not less than I'd expect.

Seemed very coy when it came to cash, looking very unsure before answering.
Ridiculous question to ask tbh. I understand why they ask it, but the answer is never going to take the form of "if there are any selling clubs out there, we have £20m in the bank. Please remember that when we come calling in January". He answered it well enough.

Ridiculous question, i agree. But i would rather Faulkener answer it, which im sure he will before the end of the conference.

We wont improve without strengthening. Houllier admitted that.

Whilst I will withhold judgement on Houllier himself, I do think the bits in the press and that Press conference have conveyed a future that has been dampened down a lot. Houllier seems he's on the same songsheet as the board with their updated plan for the future.

* We belong 7-12th

* We need investment

It's not all bad. It's sensible, progressive and sees us try to keep a pace without risking everything.

All good - just not quite the dream we were sold four years ago. Now the plan looks like survival with cups rather than reaching for the stars.

You got all that from that interview? Houllier said the team is good enough for Europe, and the aim is Europe, how does that mean 12th? :?

What he did say was that we are slightly behind the top 5 clubs, and we are looking to bridge that gap in the future.

Good to see we have a realistic manager unfortunately some of our fans still believe we should live up to our "massive" global brand and "enormous" fanbase, spend a couple of hundred million in January and win the league while playing football like the Harlem Globetrotters play basketball.

Sounded to me like he was saying K-mac was not one bit happy about being passed over for the managers job.

At the end of the day, we lost SIX nil to a newly promoted side and got dumped out of Europe. I would have been petrified if we had K Mac as full-time manager. Even the most naive football fan could see that our centre mids were destroyed by Newcastle's, yet he picked the same for Everton. Ireland's injury is one of the main reasons we scraped that win.

Houllier has my backing. Let's not use his honesty as a stick to beat him with. He has a contract with the FFF and will see that out with integrity before fully sinking his teeth into this job. Good luck Gerard.

Sounded to me like he was saying K-mac was not one bit happy about being passed over for the managers job.

How did you work that out?! :?:

That was my take on it too.

Maybe Big Mac is more than happy to go back to the reverses though?

* We belong 7-12th

* We need investment

Some nice selective 'glass half empty' interpretation of his words there.

I suppose we shouldn't mention:

* Wants to progress year on year

* Has a target of champions league place and silverware over the next 3 years

* Said there was money but thought we have a very good squad and that January wasn't always the best time to buy

* Said that money on it's own can't buy success and that we also have other weapons in the bag

Etc., etc.

I assume he'll at least be watching the Stoke game on TV or something? Or at least, the players need to believe that anyway. Hopefully they'll all be playing for their places despite the fact that he wont be actually in the dugout until the Wolves game.

Â