Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I have missed something but what surprised me is these players who are not even in the 18 now didn't even make the reserve game Monday ? Are they that far down the pecking order now they are not even in a Squad or we forcing them out the Door ?

He has had , it appears a U turn with Dunne to the extent there is no interest in Samba this Jan window now so something positive has happened and can only think Dunne has knuckled down and shown the staff he is up for the fight ?

Ireland for me is still technically our best fit and attacking midfield option but is there any fight in the kid ? No one is coming in for him to my knowledge either so either he is too expensive wages / fee or he has now seen as too much of a risk ? . Mark Hughes knows him better than anyone and yet seemingly took Sidwell over him . I know they are different midfield players but still it seems odd to me .

But thefact he isn't even getting a reserve game and is still 'happy to stay' sums him up as a non-interested money grabber. If he is never going to make it we might just as well loan him to Walsall and pay his wages! That might wake him up a bit

Ireland for me is still technically our best fit and attacking midfield option but is there any fight in the kid ? No one is coming in for him to my knowledge either so either he is too expensive wages / fee or he has now seen as too much of a risk ? . Mark Hughes knows him better than anyone and yet seemingly took Sidwell over him . I know they are different midfield players but still it seems odd to me .

Sidwell was cheep and Fulham don't have much money. Plus I guess Ireland is a bit of a luxury player, and an expensive one at that.

Houllier needs to sort it out, at least to have him on the bench. It's got to better than pushing Richard Dunne and Collins up front if we go behind.

Don't expect to see much of him this month but, if he's still here in February, I hope Houllier is true to his word about him having a role to play.

Gazton, if you don't expect to see much of him this month, what's going to change come February?

What is stopping him from playing now, well apart from Houllier not picking him?

A decent manager should be able to get something out of him. I would suggest at present GH has bigger problems to sort than squander a first team place on someone who lacks concentration - he can't afford the indulgence of bedding him in yet as he needs 90 minute of fight from every player?

What is stopping him from playing now

His lack of effort perhaps?

I don't think that's it Ulver, Houllier said something along the lines of him showing better signs in training.

I'm sure if he wanted to stay as Gazton said he would have to show Houllier and the backroom staff that he wants to fight his way into the team.

It's just strange that he hasn't even been picked for the reserves to build up match fitness.

I still can't see any valid reason for not picking Ireland ahead of Pires in the squad. I'm not exaggerating when I say that other than maybe Mark Kinsella, Pires is the least effective player I've ever seen at Villa.

I still can't see any valid reason for not picking Ireland ahead of Pires in the squad. I'm not exaggerating when I say that other than maybe Mark Kinsella, Pires is the least effective player I've ever seen at Villa.

Two points:

1) Us fans don't get to see what goes on in training all week. If Ireland's effort, application and attitude are p!ss poor all week, why should he be in the squad for the weekend?

2) Balaban?

GH has said a number of times that Ireland is working hard in training.

Houllier said: "With Stephen, we will see. I have been pleased with him.

"He has a different attitude to the beginning so he will be soon back.

"But I've got to find a balance in the team at the same time. I've got Agbonlahor, Young, Heskey, Downing, who all are attacking type players."

Houllier on 2nd January.

Houllier says he has asked to leave, then says he's improved in training, then says he'll be back in the fold soon. Yet continues to pick Pires (and his mouth) ahead of him.

My opinions on the matter are well known so I won't repeat myself.

Two points:

1) Us fans don't get to see what goes on in training all week. If Ireland's effort, application and attitude are p!ss poor all week, why should he be in the squad for the weekend?

2) Balaban?

I don't care if Ireland stands around in the centre circle smoking a packet of fags and drinking a cup of tea, he's more use than Pires.

And the few times that Balaban played, I'd say he contributed more than Pires has to date. At least he could run.

Two points:

2) Balaban?

I don't care if Ireland stands around in the centre circle smoking a packet of fags and drinking a cup of tea, he's more use than Pires.

And the few times that Balaban played, I'd say he contributed more than Pires has to date. At least he could run.

For all Balaban contributed on the pitch he might as well as kept running... straight off the pitch - Forrest Gump style!

My point was that none of us wanabee football managers have the information and evidence available to us that the club has. I'm sure GH had hoped for a better standard from RP when he signed him but GH also made it clear that SI's attitude was all wrong. GH has indicated an improvement (although how much of that was just to make SI worth something to sell?), so hopefully we will see more of SI than RP before May. How much, I'll leave to the better informed judgement of GH.