Stephen Ireland

Richard

watched AC Milan v Fiorentina yesterday after our match (I know, spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down) and I particularly concentrated on Robinho when he came on.

Now, obviously Robinho is/was a world class talent, but just watching the runs he makes from the left channel was really telling. I remember seeing him make those same runs and Ireland finding him again and again. And then seeing Robinho take a man on down the left channel and feeding Ireland with great chances.

could have worked last season but young wanted to play in the hole and was awful there

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem for me yesterday, was Ireland was doing alot of good work but no close enough to Stoke's area to do any damage.
Not helped by the fact no one else is good enough to play with him

Couldnt agree more Denis! :thumb:

We should be building a team around Ireland.

Problem for me yesterday, was Ireland was doing alot of good work but no close enough to Stoke's area to do any damage.

Yep :thumb:.

Yep :thumb:.

Me too. :thumb:

Given that McLeish is likely to fill the squad with hardworking journeymen it is vital we keep creative talents like Ireland and N'Zogbia.

Then the new manager will have some gems to work with once the penny drops with the idiots on the board.

N'zogbia's best games for us this season have been with Ireland in the team.

Once he gets his fitness up, those two will link up well again I think.

Be short term. i doubt both of them will be here after the summer

I can't see too many teams coming after them, solely due to issues they cause.

They do work very well together though and I hope I am right and that both stay.

The main problem with players like Zog and Ireland is confidence and the free role where they can do anything they want, well, within boundries of course.

Under McLeish they are obstructed completely, and we will never see their best efforts with him as manager. Easy as that.

The main problem with players like Zog and Ireland is confidence and the free role where they can do anything they want, well, within boundries of course.

Under McLeish they are obstructed completely, and we will never see their best efforts with him as manager. Easy as that.

they should be given freedom to express themselves, sadly this will not happen with mcleish. he is always waving players back. he is a word removed

There's an interview with him on Football focus tomorrow. For those interested, there's a video on the BBC football site showing off his tattoos!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17791952

The one on his back is un-real.

I wish I had the money to get the quality of ink work he's had done.. The back piece alone probably cost more than most people spend on a life time of tattoos. The art is insane though I think I need to get on the twitter and ask him who his artist of choice is.

Very good today, I tend to think he is playing his own game and wants a move. McLeish dont really like creative. technical players. Anybody who thinks he is poor needs to look at the players around him and the zero movement. Its rare you see a Villa player these days make a run into space.

I want a performance off him today and a goal or an assist

Not just tippy tappy bollocks

tippy tappy bollocks it is...

he's being massively over rated by our fans this year for 2 reasons:

1) He was so shit when he first arrived

2) Everyone else in our team is utter gash

if Ireland had played in a MON side along with Young,Carew,Downing,Milner etc he would be getting nowhere near as much praise...

he cleared the ball off the line very well....

going forward he's as shit as the rest of them

if Ireland had played in a MON side along with Young,Carew,Downing,Milner etc he would be getting nowhere near as much praise...

he cleared the ball off the line very well..

Couldnt disagree more, Ireland's clearly been asked to play a deeper midfield role, the majority of the players you listed are forwards and wingers anyway so not a valid comparison,

His strengths are his passing, vision and speed of thought, any city fan will tel you he is a far better player with better players around him,

That said he was STILL the most creative player today. Lost count of the amount of times he got his head up looked around and no one was in space one of the only players to get Weimann in behind the defence, excellent quick pass into heskeys feet at one stage in the area and had bannan squared the ball he blazed over the bar he had a clear shot on goal for 12 yards,

He did the stuff he is not associated with very well again today ie. Excellent goal line clearance, lots of pressing, kept going til the end,

he cleared the ball off the line very well....

Total bollocks. he cleared off the line well, and tackled in midfield well, and linked up and supplied the forwards well.

Was it Ireland's fault that Heskey fell over by the 6 yard box after Ireland threaded him through? Or that Weimann let the ball bounce too high after Ireland dinked a lovely little ball over the top? That's just off the top of my head.

and on the flip side...

never goes past a player

his "through ball" never result in a goal

and shots from him (considering he is a attacking midfielder) are as rare as rocking horse shit

Haha what are you talking about

1 scholes never goes past a player

2 his through ball is a pass not his fault Weimann and heskey can't finish

3 playing a lot deeper, lovely curler against united.....

All in all rubbish points