Stephen Ireland

Richard

While Ireland has been a huge disappointment so far, so has Houllier, possibly to an evern bigger extent, so I'd suggest that the manager shuts his yap and concentrates on getting us out of the shit position we're in in the league.

well maybe GH keeps opening his mouth to maybe attract offers and to orchestrate a move for Ireland. if he doesnt want him here then maybe hes trying to get rid of him by saying half the rubbish he does.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Ireland has been a huge disappointment so far, so has Houllier, possibly to an evern bigger extent, so I'd suggest that the manager shuts his yap and concentrates on getting us out of the shit position we're in in the league.

well maybe GH keeps opening his mouth to maybe attract offers and to orchestrate a move for Ireland. if he doesnt want him here then maybe hes trying to get rid of him by saying half the rubbish he does.

so,keep talking crap to the media so we only get a small amount for him,yep that makes perfect sense to me..

Geez some of you are precious.

I dont like what he said last week.. but to slag him over the Ireland comments...

They asked him if hes going to play Ireland in Ashleys spot.

He made a bad decision and hes saying hes not stupid enough to play him there again.

That said its clear he wont be here in January.

I dont like what he said last week.. but to slag him over the Ireland comments...

He made a bad decision and hes saying hes not stupid enough to play him there again.

And you think that's fair comment?

Come off it, If Ireland wanted to counter-act this he easily could, he has been using his agent to press an issue, who told the media about a scheduled meeting? Ireland did, hence questions asked to Houller. If Ireland really wants to stay he could come out and say so, but silence on this occasion speaks volumes for me, and for him being more interested in suing Man City for a poxy few million instead of his Villa career says volumes. Gazton i know you have a contact in this with Ireland but he is by no means whiter than white in this even if he is painting this picture to his friend. Why hasn't he got himself a place in Birmingham if he see's this as a club he wants to be at? He really does not want to be here and his actions of him and his agent are really showing this. As for Houllier's latest comments, I'd say he's hit the nail on the head.

Throughout his career, he hasn't been one to make comments like you want him to. He has, however, been quoted about how he wants to fit in, he wants to do well and he appreciates it will take time to get to know the way his teammates play. I agree, his agent is a leech. However, I am very sure that Ireland wants to stay. That was what he said in his meeting with Houllier last week. He wants to fight for a place. He was told, in no uncertain terms, that he was not wanted at the club. He was told he didn't fit in the managers plans and he was asked to submit a transfer request.

As for him not having a place in Birmingham, he was never asked to move. He has been given accommodation by the club (as have a number of other players) which suits his current needs. He is reluctant to move him family because he knows his future here is uncertain.

He is being forced out of the club. The manager upset him by making comments to the press, comments which he apologised for. The manager has asked him to submit a transfer request, which he refused to do. The manager has, since then, gone on the offensive through the media knowing that his comments will upset SI, a player he has admitted is sensitive to that kind of criticism.

As for suing Man City, why is that a problem? It's not as if he is working on the legal case himself? His lawyers say "Man City are refusing to pay the £1.5 million they agreed. Do you want us to fight them for it?". What would you say in that instance?

I think it's disgraceful that Houllier is airing this dirty linen in public. It's not the way I like our club to be working.

I don't wish to get into an argument with you Gazton but from the very first moment we were linked with SI you've been extremely bias in his favour due to the fact that you know someone who knows him.

If SI had shown anything that would suggest he might be a valuable asset then I doubt GH would be so eager to move him on, as it is he's obviously shown **** all and therefore, personally, I'm with GH in trying to get him out of the club.

We know we are not awash with money and having someone leeching £50k+ per week from the club is not helping, the likes of Bannan, Hogg and Albrighton have really shown up SI (and others) this season and earn a fraction of their over-inflated salaries.

All we keep hearing off SI 'fanboys' is that he works hard in training and that he wants to fit in, well **** show it then you prick! It's really not that difficult, you run until you begin to sweat and then you run some more, left foot in front of right foot and away you go Stephen.

It's all just **** rumours and hearsay anyway and probably bullshit in my best opinion.

I see your point and it is a good one. When any of us are in a new job or working for a new boss, we need to redouble our efforts and make the best impression.

For a footballer at a new club, the fans will be patient as long as the player meets them halfway and shows commitment to the cause. In this case there was always a suspicion that Stephen Ireland arrived here through no desire of his to play for Aston Villa FC and apart from glimpses here and there he has done nothing to change that.

On the other hand we have a manager who has seems hellbent on upsetting the newest player in the squad. He must have seen something that has convinced him that Stephen Ireland is not part of the future. His statements to the press seem designed to force Stephen Ireland into demanding a transfer. After saying last week that Stephen Ireland has asked to leave, there was NO point in making further negative pronouncements to the press on the player unless he is still trying to force some position.

I feel that this could turn back on Houllier. Either Stephen Ireland will go public and demand a transfer as Houllier probably wants, in which case all will be well and the plan has worked OR he will keep his head down and make the manager look increasingly vindictive. It will also lessen the chances that we will get rid as we must do now as I cannot see Ireland playing for us again.

Seeing how much work Ashley puts in playing in that positions and seeing what Ireland has done playing in the same position, I think it's a fair enough comment yes.

If Ashley isn't playing then a formation change would be the better option....He hasn't worked out playing in the hole when he has played, he played better on the right when he came on in one of the game and he played better in the second half at Liverpool playing centre mid with Hogg.

Seeing how much work Ashley puts in playing in that positions and seeing what Ireland has done playing in the same position, I think it's a fair enough comment yes.

If Ashley isn't playing then a formation change would be the better option....He hasn't worked out playing in the hole when he has played, he played better on the right when he came on in one of the game and he played better in the second half at Liverpool playing centre mid with Hogg.

I accept that there are entirely legitimate reasons why Houllier might not want to play Ireland in Young's position. That's up to him as manager.

His statement is unnecessarily snide though. The "stupid" comment implies that ireland isn't good enough to do that job ever again. Anyway, Houllier was stupid enough to carry on picking that useless fat oaf Richard Dunne ahead of Cuellar, so it's not like he hasn't made stupid decisions already this season.

Gazton, have to ask you this question. You seemed pretty supportive of Houllier and have now changed opinion, would that be fair to say?

Following on from that would your opinion have changed if it had been directed at anyone other than Ireland?

Yes, I've definitely changed my stance. I was supportive of the manager of my football club until I heard how he was conducting himself. Whilst I accept that there are 2 sides to every story, I have heard things from more than one source which have made my blood boil.

And yes, my opinion would be the same regardless of who he was treating in this way. It's indicative of very poor man-management which cannot be good for the club.

Not saying I dont believe you, I do believe you, it's just that he has said things about a few players this season inappropriately and yet you still supported him until now

More astonishing stuff from GH, when will it end. Some of the things he says during media interviews boggle the mind. What planet does he live on, one suitably large enough to support his own massive ego no doubt.

Though I'm growing tired of the amount of things he says in the press, I haven't seen much to show that he has a massive ego.

Gazton, have to ask you this question. You seemed pretty supportive of Houllier and have now changed opinion, would that be fair to say?

Following on from that would your opinion have changed if it had been directed at anyone other than Ireland?

Yes, I've definitely changed my stance. I was supportive of the manager of my football club until I heard how he was conducting himself. Whilst I accept that there are 2 sides to every story, I have heard things from more than one source which have made my blood boil.

And yes, my opinion would be the same regardless of who he was treating in this way. It's indicative of very poor man-management which cannot be good for the club.

Not saying I dont believe you, I do believe you, it's just that he has said things about a few players this season inappropriately and yet you still supported him until now

I took him at face value on a lot of things he said. The Liverpool incident is not impacting my thoughts. It was silly, he explained it and a lot of people overreacted to it. Injuries have conspired against him, so results are as good as could be expected IMO.

However, when he says that Ireland has asked to leave, I know that to be untrue. So, he's trying to influence the fans/media into thinking Ireland is the bad guy. That's poor form, very poor man-management. The way in which he has conducted himself following squad-meetings and the feedback from those meetings is also very poor, IMO.

With that in mind, I can't see results improving under him. I hope they do, but I can't see it happening.

There is the possibility that I'm too close to the situation to be objective, I accept that.

I'm not a fan of Ireland but there is no need for Houllier to keep coming out with this in the press although quotes can be taken out of context.

Agree with this seems an older manager with no patience to me . I think Ireland has done himself no favours and whilst this is an old quote as it was mentioned over the weekend it's certainly not helping matters .

I think he is just trying to get rid of what he perceives as the bad eggs in the dressing room like Ireland and Carew and maybe Dunne.

He hasnt really criticized any other players in public

none should be criticized in public if you ask me,i thought our club had a bit more class than letting the whole world know whats going on.

I think he is just trying to get rid of what he perceives as the bad eggs in the dressing room like Ireland and Carew and maybe Dunne.

He hasnt really criticized any other players in public

My grandmother always advocated praising of one's sons whilst they were living under your roof. :winkold: