Stephen Ireland

Richard

McDonald didn't seem overly keen on him. Houllier doesn't look to rate him at all. (sidwell prefered?)

Feel he was pushed on the club, to help finalise the money in the Milner deal. He really isn't the sort of midfielder that we need right now.

I think Sidwell was more suitable for a scrappy Wolves game. He helped us keep the lead whereas Ireland is more of an attacking threat and could have let us down defensively.

Ireland will fit in, but him and Ash can't both play behind the striker. It'll be interesting to see what formation Houllier goes for against Spurs and Chelsea.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McDonald didn't seem overly keen on him. Houllier doesn't look to rate him at all. (sidwell prefered?)

Feel he was pushed on the club, to help finalise the money in the Milner deal. He really isn't the sort of midfielder that we need right now.

I think Sidwell was more suitable for a scrappy Wolves game. He helped us keep the lead whereas Ireland is more of an attacking threat and could have let us down defensively.

Ireland will fit in, but him and Ash can't both play behind the striker. It'll be interesting to see what formation Houllier goes for against Spurs and Chelsea.

I agree, I think Ireland could play a bit wider and switch with Young.

I think Albrighton might find himself sitting on the bench for the bigger games, with Young on the wing and Ireland through the middle.

Young was very good today, but Ireland in the hole and Young on the wing would be better for the side if Ireland finds from.

No way should Ireland have come on today, Sidwell was the right decision.

SSN

Stephen Ireland has admitted he is eager to work with Gerard Houllier and kick-start his Aston Villa career.

The 24-year-old joined Villa in part exchange for James Milner and £8million in the summer but Martin O'Neill departed shortly afterwards.

However, the arrival of Houllier has the former Republic of Ireland international ready to step up to a new challenge.

"I have looked forward to Gerard coming," he told the Sunday Times.

"He's come in and said, 'Look, I've just got three or four rules, you live by them'. And I think with Gary McAllister and Gordon Cowans, he has an excellent back-up.

"When I came here, I put pressure on myself to go out and show what I can do.

"But the players and staff have told me I don't have to be like that, I don't have to prove it all in the one game or one training session.

"The goals, the assists, they will come for me. What matters is that I focus on helping Aston Villa to get good results, and that's what I'm going to do."

Hopefully Ireland will get his chance in the next few games. Though I really hope we don't drop him in the centre of a 4-4-2 against Spurs or Chelsea!

SSN

Stephen Ireland has admitted he is eager to work with Gerard Houllier and kick-start his Aston Villa career.

The 24-year-old joined Villa in part exchange for James Milner and £8million in the summer but Martin O'Neill departed shortly afterwards.

However, the arrival of Houllier has the former Republic of Ireland international ready to step up to a new challenge.

"I have looked forward to Gerard coming," he told the Sunday Times.

"He's come in and said, 'Look, I've just got three or four rules, you live by them'. And I think with Gary McAllister and Gordon Cowans, he has an excellent back-up.

"When I came here, I put pressure on myself to go out and show what I can do.

"But the players and staff have told me I don't have to be like that, I don't have to prove it all in the one game or one training session.

"The goals, the assists, they will come for me. What matters is that I focus on helping Aston Villa to get good results, and that's what I'm going to do."

Hopefully Ireland will get his chance in the next few games. Though I really hope we don't drop him in the centre of a 4-4-2 against Spurs or Chelsea!

Seconded, We'd get destroyed.

I can see our midfield being

Young - NRC - Ireland - Petrov - Downing

against Spurs and Chelsea, with Albrighton dropping to bench.

Agreed

This seems like the obvious choice, but with Houllier we can't guess our squad as easily as we used to! :lol:

I do think this is our best midfield, with Albrighton getting experience in the late stages of the game and giving us a fresh attacking threat for the lat 30 minutes.

I think Albrighton is a good player, but Ashley Cole will totally outclass him. Who do Spurs have at left back now? Assou-Ekotto? He might have a bit more luck against him but still think Houllier will save Albrighton for less experienced defenders or use him as an impact substitute. Especially as both of those like to attack aswell, and we will need someone more experienced like Ashley who can keep an eye on them coming forward aswell as causing troubles defensively.

These will be the games I think we'll see Ireland brought into the setup. And I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed

This seems like the obvious choice, but with Houllier we can't guess our squad as easily as we used to! :lol:

I do think this is our best midfield, with Albrighton getting experience in the late stages of the game and giving us a fresh attacking threat for the lat 30 minutes.

And who said we need any new midfielders? ha I am quite excited by that midfield. Width, creativity and hard work

I think Albrighton is a good player, but Ashley Cole will totally outclass him. Who do Spurs have at left back now? Assou-Ekotto? He might have a bit more luck against him but still think Houllier will save Albrighton for less experienced defenders or use him as an impact substitute. Especially as both of those like to attack aswell, and we will need someone more experienced like Ashley who can keep an eye on them coming forward aswell as causing troubles defensively.

These will be the games I think we'll see Ireland brought into the setup. And I'm looking forward to it.

Assou-Ekotto was injured at the weekend and Bale was at left-back which would be ideal for us, as Bale is useless as a left back. There's a statistic that Spurs have never won a league game with him at left back, not sure how up to date it is but it was the case until relatively recently.

Also takes a huge threat away from them not having him on the wing.

Assou-Ekotto was injured at the weekend and Bale was at left-back which would be ideal for us, as Bale is useless as a left back. There's a statistic that Spurs have never won a league game with him at left back, not sure how up to date it is but it was the case until relatively recently.

Also takes a huge threat away from them not having him on the wing.

I agree with this ^^

I am also hoping that they pick up a few more knocks in their CL game on Wednesday. :winkold:

That's the midfield I'd play all the time with Albrighton used as an impact sub. Easy to push Young up front and go 4-4-2 with that formation if required too. Also spurs have no fit defenders and a champions league game midweek so it might be a great chance to get a win against them.

That's the midfield I'd play all the time with Albrighton used as an impact sub.

This is the midfield i'm very much looking forward to seeing when or if it happens.

I know no-one is gonna want to go on that right wing against Chelsea.

It's where all our best chances seem to have come from, and they just happen to have the best left back in the league, IMO the World, playing for them.. meaning our best attacking threat will not only be nullified but that role will become more defensive because Cole is so good going forward. I think Ireland vs Mikel will be a good battle though, if indeed that is the formation.

As the season goes on I can see Ireland becoming more and more involved in our midfield. Question is, will it be Ashley dropping back out to the wing, or will it be Petrov who makes way with Ireland playing a little bit deeper with Reo Coker?

Interesting dilemma.

As the season goes on I can see Ireland becoming more and more involved in our midfield. Question is, will it be Ashley dropping back out to the wing, or will it be Petrov who makes way with Ireland playing a little bit deeper with Reo Coker?

Interesting dilemma.

It's a good dilemma to have.

If Ireland puts in a decent performance when playing behind the striker, it'll mean that him and Ash will be fighting it out for this position. This will surely make them try harder when they get a chance in this position.

I don't believe he'd be much cop in the latter role.

I know no-one is gonna want to go on that right wing against Chelsea.

It's where all our best chances seem to have come from, and they just happen to have the best left back in the league, IMO the World, playing for them.. meaning our best attacking threat will not only be nullified but that role will become more defensive because Cole is so good going forward. I think Ireland vs Mikel will be a good battle though, if indeed that is the formation.

Interesting dilemma.

play Downing there.

Firstly experienced defensively, rarely caught out of position and rarely let's his full back overlap past him.

Also, going forward, Downing cuts in anyway. Certainly wouldn't play Albrighton there, recipe for disaster.