Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fully appreciate that he's made only three appearances and is still settling in, this is not in question but, can anyone genuinely say that they've been impressed with him so far?

Honest appraisals would be appreciated, i.e. take away the fact that he's new to the club etc as those things are given already.

Completely misused in fairness.

True, but I reckon you could put Wayne Rooney at right back and still be in awe of his ability.

A top player will come across as being a top player wherever he's played....within reason.

Playing SI, who is a midfielder, in midfield should not pose a massive problem to him.

You can be a hell of a lot worse than Wayne Rooney and still be a very good player.

I think Ireland will come good. But he needs to be playing the forward midfield position that Ash has been playing.

"Ireland is a midfielder" is one of the biggest myths in modern football for me. He is a second striker, and he can't play anywhere else. Because of this **** misperception he keeps getting played in the wrong positions and gets slated for being an average player when he's actually a brilliant withdrawn forward.

Agreed. He's a great player in the opponents half/final third. He's more or less a forward and not many forwards can play CM.

"Ireland is a midfielder" is one of the biggest myths in modern football for me. He is a second striker, and he can't play anywhere else. Because of this **** misperception he keeps getting played in the wrong positions and gets slated for being an average player when he's actually a brilliant withdrawn forward.

Agreed. He's a great player in the opponents half/final third. He's more or less a forward and not many forwards can play CM.

I would echo this and I think this is why he wasn't getting games at Citeh where Mancini seems to like to play a very solid central 3 with little attacking threat and leave that to his front three of a striker and two wider players.

McDonald didn't seem overly keen on him. Houllier doesn't look to rate him at all. (sidwell prefered?)

Feel he was pushed on the club, to help finalise the money in the Milner deal. He really isn't the sort of midfielder that we need right now.

McDonald didn't seem overly keen on him. Houllier doesn't look to rate him at all. (sidwell prefered?)

Feel he was pushed on the club, to help finalise the money in the Milner deal. He really isn't the sort of midfielder that we need right now.

Maybe not in an away game against Wolves but he will get his chance and take it I think.

I just don't think the situation has called for him in the last couple of games, both Wolves and Blackburn are very physical teams and Ireland isn't what we needed in those games unfortunately, well, not with the formation that Houllier decided to play. He will get his chance and I'm sure he will come good.

I knew this would happen.

He wasn't totally fit, why would be play him v an aggressive Wolves side, and why would we bring him on when we needed a bit of energy in midfield. Made total sense to me. Of course it's easy for people to take it as Houllier doesn't like Ireland etc but this always happens and it always usually ends up being false.

Houllier has been in charge two games, both of which Ireland's fitness has been questionable due to injury which has been confirmed by Houllier himself. Doesn't seem to rate him? Move along... :|