Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

Is Halfords the best place to buy new bikes?

I wouldn't. Depends what your budget is though. A friend bought a Carrera road bike from there about 18 months ago and the pedal sheared off within a week.

Chain Reaction Cycles usually have some good deals, as do Evans. Make sure you get the right size frame though.

Cheers for that mate. Just gotta get rid of my current bike, fed up with it!

Decided to get rid of my mountain bike, as it's a 14" frame which is too small for me now that I've grown [emoji4] and it's a few years old. I'll probably sell it for £20 and save up for one of the cheapest hybrid bikes at halfords.

It depends on your budget but I think hybrid bikes are not very fun. They are big and clumsy and not as much fun as a proper road bike or a mountain bike. 

Have a look on Wiggle as well, they do some good end of season deals, it's not a bad time to buy a bike. 

I just wanted a hybrid as I use it both on roads/pavements and also in parks or similar terrain. So I thought hybrids will be the best option as it's essentially the best of both worlds, I doubt I'd be using it a lot, just occasionally. I'm not too fussed about specific technical aspects, just want something that'd get me from A to B.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought a Cree XML T6 1800 Lumen for the night ride. It's pretty funky and should make the winding path in pitch black navigable.

It's bigger than I expected, what I'd thought were two AAs in the picture weren't. They're 18650s, which I'd never heard of. Each one is more expensive than the Cree was!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

bought a second hand Claude butler road bike to get in and out to work 10k each way doing well Feckin cold in the mornings ..great that halfords had a 3 for 2 offer on over the Easter with a 20% discount on top then Lidl for the shorts......hoping to increase the spins out on my days off and go to the gym less in the summer

• 1 month later...

Few bits to check in.

Doing the Velothon Wales on Sunday. Anyone else doing it? The locals seem up in arms about road closures. I think the organisers have been crap in getting the word out but it's not the cyclists' fault.

Had another check and read up about my saddle height and had to drop it 30mm. I now measure up properly on all of the methods (LeMond, heel scrape etc). I just feel like I'm riding a mini bike now.

Finally, here's a lovely downhill near me I made with Garmin VIRB edit:

Edited by darrenm

Velothon wales should be good, im jealous.

This weekend i am going to recce the bike course of a half iron distance tri im doing in marlow next month (ignoring the fact i still cant run properly). Next weekend im going to do the wiggle long one which should be challenging, will try and get in a fast group otherwise a long and lonely day.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Cree XML T6 1800 Lumen for the night ride. It's pretty funky and should make the winding path in pitch black navigable.

It's bigger than I expected, what I'd thought were two AAs in the picture weren't. They're 18650s, which I'd never heard of. Each one is more expensive than the Cree was!

I bought a Cree 6600 Lumen headlight a couple of months ago - it's excellent.  Most of the guys I ride with are using the twin 5000L or the triple 6600L lights when we're out in the middle of nowhere in the dark.  Can light up a lane like it's daylight when you get a few of them together!

• 2 weeks later...

Think I pinched a nerve cycling into work Monday.

The right side of my right leg is not happy. It manages to be both numb and painful. The pain isn't sharp, but it rides on a wave of nausea.

It should supposedly heal itself, over 6 weeks or so.

Codeine tolerance will be going up :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

There is a charity 70k coming up in 2 weeks in my area that I wouldn't mind trying. The problem is I've never done that distance before as I had been doing 30/40/50k a couple of times a week for a few months but I haven't been on the bike much at all in the last 2 months as we have a new baby so I'm a bit worried about doing it. Do any more experienced cyclists think I would have it in my legs to survive it?!!

Hi guys,

There is a charity 70k coming up in 2 weeks in my area that I wouldn't mind trying. The problem is I've never done that distance before as I had been doing 30/40/50k a couple of times a week for a few months but I haven't been on the bike much at all in the last 2 months as we have a new baby so I'm a bit worried about doing it. Do any more experienced cyclists think I would have it in my legs to survive it?!!

Yes. Easily.

Once you can do 10-15 miles you can do almost any distance as long as you keep the effort low. Just do a couple of rides before to wake the legs up and you'll be fine.

Hi guys,

Yes. Easily.

Once you can do 10-15 miles you can do almost any distance as long as you keep the effort low. Just do a couple of rides before to wake the legs up and you'll be fine.

Good stuff. I might give it a go then. Hopefully I can get a few spins in before that but it's chaos in our house at the minute so not easy to get away. My mate might do it to so it should make it easier. I'm itching to get back out but unfortunately I haven't been able to make the most of the stretch in the evenings. Any tips for cycling in the dark as the time change won't be long coming around?

Hi guys,

Yes. Easily.

Good stuff. I might give it a go then. Hopefully I can get a few spins in before that but it's chaos in our house at the minute so not easy to get away. My mate might do it to so it should make it easier. I'm itching to get back out but unfortunately I haven't been able to make the most of the stretch in the evenings. Any tips for cycling in the dark as the time change won't be long coming around?

Yes, buy a very bright light! At least 300 lumens I think. Then a flashy rear red light and high-vis

Hi guys,

Yes. Easily.

Yes, buy a very bright light! At least 300 lumens I think. Then a flashy rear red light and high-vis

Cheers mate

Â