Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

I'm trying to be a bit of a cyclist now. I don't really know what advice I'm asking for TBH, but I suppose any tips to a newbie about any part is appreciated. I've just bought a Giant Defy 1 and having trouble getting it spot on for me, and I don't seem to be getting much faster despite doing a lot of cycling recently. Is it a slower improvement than running, which seemed to be quite easy to improve quickly?

If I take a picture / video of me on the bike, can anyone point out form / technique problems?

Finally, doing a sportive in Malvern in a couple of weeks http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/cycling-weekly-malvern-mad-hatter-sportive/ . I can do 38 miles at 17 MPH ish, so can I do 72 at 15 ish?

I'm trying to be a bit of a cyclist now. I don't really know what advice I'm asking for TBH, but I suppose any tips to a newbie about any part is appreciated. I've just bought a Giant Defy 1 and having trouble getting it spot on for me, and I don't seem to be getting much faster despite doing a lot of cycling recently. Is it a slower improvement than running, which seemed to be quite easy to improve quickly?

If I take a picture / video of me on the bike, can anyone point out form / technique problems?

Finally, doing a sportive in Malvern in a couple of weeks http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/cycling-weekly-malvern-mad-hatter-sportive/ . I can do 38 miles at 17 MPH ish, so can I do 72 at 15 ish?

It might be worth doing some research on cadence.  I've found maintaining cadence on the flat and on hills has massively increased my stamina.  Try to maintain something around 60-90 and you should be fine.

The sportive looks good as well, with a reasonable amount of hills.  The last one I did was the Smuggler (from Barnstaple), which I clocked at 55 miles and about 6000ft climbing.

No reason if you do 38 miles at 17 mph you would slow down that much. Obviously depends on the amount of climbing; but you will be hopefully riding with other people and using drafting. Like running find your HR zones and work within them. You will find that your HR for cycling is lower than for running, I am usually 10-20 bpm slower on a bike. What is really really important is fuelling. Look at a gram of carbs per hour per kg of weight (look at the gels carb % rather than just the weight of product), so you can easily go through 2 or 3 gels an hour. And keep at this. Also remember 500-750ml of fluid per hour. Try to use electrolyte products so you are replenishing your salts. Obviously you can get energy drinks that also contain carbs. Try also to drink water to flush through all these products. I set my timer to go off every 10 minutes so I sip some fluid, and then every 20 take on some carbs.

Your bike might need some fitting; its worth getting this done by a professional if you intend to spend any time on a bike.

In terms of improvement I suspect you fitness level is much higher than when you started running, so you are starting at a higher level, so improvements are harder to come by. You probably need to do more specific training to gain the benefits, and unfortunately you have to do a lot of training. If you PM I can give more tips.

Oh and be as light as you can! :)

• Like 2

Screenshot_2014-08-08-20-51-27_zpssk5df0

The France trip was awesome. Got 177km in on the second day, my longest ride ever. 950km riding in just over a week. For those that can see my Strava (anyone who wants to) it stopped working twice during the trip, but a friend was successful in measuring it.

And I'd do that ride again now.

• Like 4

Paul is right; high cadence is important; have you got a cadence sensor?

Yes. Not bothered to put it on the new bike yet as it turned out I was bang on 90 rpm all the time and I can tell exactly where it is. I think it's due to forcing high cadence running on myself previously.

You're going to find out aintcha? :)

Depends how hilly your 38 miles was, your stamina and the wind may play a factor.

Fairly : http://app.strava.com/activities/173837466

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning a ride for this weekend.  Looking at trying to ride Tiverton to Brum in a day and a half.  Hopefully starting off at Tiverton Parkway (got to leave the car somewhere) and getting to Worcester, or just north of, by Saturday night.  I want to get my first ever 200km ride in before the nights draw in.

The route I've mapped out follows national cycle routes and looks very flat.  The only climbs I can see before we hit Gloucester would be one climb over the Mendips and the Avonmouth Bridge.

Then I'm going on the lash in Brum on Sunday before getting the Train back to sunny Devon!

The mad hatter is this Saturday. Any tips for my first sportive?

I rode almost 20 miles at 18.2 mph on Sunday with 813 ft climb. OK progress? Felt absolutely fine doing it. If I keep to below 150 bpm hopefully I can drag the distance out.

My plans are to only take in my jersey pockets:

spare inner tube

pump

tyre forks

Then some food in the other gaps.

Can anyone recommend some foods to buy online to take with me? I've got a pack of shot bloks and a 50g pack of SiS powder which makes 500ml of isotonic drink.

Cheers experts :)

I've tended to use High5 gels out on rides (though I've never done anything approaching the distance of these sportives) - if you're running out of pocket space you can always stick a couple up the bottom* of your short legs for easy access.

*Kenneth Williams alert etc and so forth.

I bought the £8 High5 pack from Wiggle that looks like a firework mix. I'm tying down as many variables as I can so will be fuelling and cycling in HR zones according to @PauloBarnesi 's advice above.

Most sportives tend to give out food and drink at stations so you probably don't need to take too much. I did the Evans Liphook 86 (plus 5 when I missed turn) miler a couple of weeks back and only took a couple of bars.

The SIS tablets are great. I use them when cycling distance day after day, but always use 2 per bottle, or they taste weak.

My distance cycling generally doesn't follow the nutrition route though, after the first 50-60 miles, it's more often pub-to-pub...

try a bike fit calculator like one here http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp  is 3 modes competative eddy or french to pick from is pritty good and improved my distances/speed no end

dont seem to be going straight to the bike fit page but is at the bottom under resourses

Edited by walesavfc

• 1 month later...

Anyone cycle in unlit areas at night?

The lights on my bike are more about being seen by other road users, rather than illuminating the path.

Part of my route home is pitch black, quite unusual for London, but there you.

Last year I was gripping an LED torch between my teeth through the really dark bits.

The prices on LED lights have tumbled since I bought the bike and accessories.

Anyone recommend a make/model, or how many lumens do the job?

I have a 600 lumen Lezyne and it's pretty good, but still not amazing in pitch black. I actually purchased a 20quid head torch from China off ebay which despite being a bit rubbish build quality was produced very bright light when I did an overnight MTB race.

• Like 1

Â