Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

All the major players bikes are much of a muchness really, the fit is what is the most important.

Value for money would be last years models or something like Planet X or Ribble as you tend to get more bang for yer buck.

I believe Ribble are doing a full carbon with Tiagra for £799:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road-track-bike/ribble-sportive-racing-shimano-4600-equipped?part=SE14RIB4600SPORTRAC&sub=conf_SERW&utm_source=Campaigner&utm_campaign=Tiagra_4600_Sportive_Racing&campaigner=1&utm_medium=HTMLEmail

Canyon if you are prepared to go mail order route are very good, though customer service is fairly dreadful.

Just got a planet x stealth pro carbon with tt bars and fulcrum rims

Went too aggressive on the riding position and got neck ache on my first run

But took 5 mins off my best 40k time on the same route

Takes a lot of fiddling to get a good TT position, a few milimeters can make a huge difference with comfort.

Also do lots of back stretches, my ability to get down into the correct position has improved over time.

Edited by andyjsg

Yeah, I think I'll need a proper fit

Am aiming to make serious inroads into my bike, swim & run splits in the coming season

Arent we all :-) :-)

Its coming into winter so time to work on base fitness for all really, lots of longer rides for me starting with a 73 mile sportive in the South Downs on Sunday and will do a few more locally over the winter and make sure I do the Rapha 500 (strava) challenge xmas week.

I had a couple of months rest (not total rest but nowhere near my 12 hour Ironman training weeks) recently, some by choice, some by injury and the Mrs having a baby a couple of weeks ago but starting to get back to run and bike fitness.

Yeah when I was working in London I did about a quarter of the training that I do now, I get to do more training and spend more time with the kids than the average person - pretty much the perfect job.

I see Darren has just affiliated himself with a tri club, it was the obvious next step after getting on the bike :-) Next step is Ironman surely? :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Is Halfords the best place to buy new bikes?

I wouldn't. Depends what your budget is though. A friend bought a Carrera road bike from there about 18 months ago and the pedal sheared off within a week.

Chain Reaction Cycles usually have some good deals, as do Evans. Make sure you get the right size frame though.

Â