Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

Choclate milk.... Some serious advertising for this in American cycling and triathlon magazines.

I have noticed a difference with Rego, less achey the next day etc, but I'm admit it maybe psychological and my body has just got used to the training.

The insects seriously woke up yesterday. If I'd swallowed the little gits that ended up in my teeth and at the back of my gob I could of skipped tea.

This morning my path crossed with an urban fixie cyclist. He got the hump when he was passed and proceeded to cycle over the pavement and through a red to get in front. What turds they are, worst cyclists on the road.

Murdered him when the lights changed. :)

Really glad that the weather's got less wet. Still had the Christmas spare tyre, biting into it now. Down 6 kg in 6 weeks. Want to lose another 10 by September.

Anyone read that report, by a neurosurgeon I think, claiming that helmets are a waste of time ? Obviously the bloke is far more intelligent than I am but I'm not at all sure about this. If you are hit by a vehicle .... then may be ; but if you have a 'minor' crash and your head hits the floor, I would have thought a helmet helps. Any opinions ?

I've been car doored at speed without a helmet and left some scalp on the tarmac.

Wear a helmet now.

That doctor also said he didn't stop at red lights, idiot. If you're expecting the drivers to be insured, it's only fair to play by the rules.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Coming off the Galibier I did smell burning, so I didn’t hold on quite so much to the brake

The Etape is good, but you are at the mercy of the course they choose, the Marmotte is almost always harder, intact its harder than nearly all of the hardest stages of the Tour. I think the sportives in the Dolomites are even harder. Or of course Haute Route. I love climbing. Not that I am good enough at it.

I ve heard all of the classics sportives are good. Personally I am not a man for those conditions, and the cobbles are bollocks*, but definitely really good.

* As the Badger thought!

I like climbing too but at 185lbs I'm never gonna fly up them.

My friend had done Marmotte so not sure if he will want to that or Etape.

LBL is lots of climbing but not sure of it it's cobbles or not. Nice early season warm-up.

I had a section of uphill cobbles on Sunday, it made me smile, but hard work on a time trial bike with disc and deep section front.

Got my big summer challenge starting on the 24th. Cycling from the north coast of Brittany through to Spain. 824km. I honestly can't wait to get out there and get riding now!

I'm thinking about adding the extra 100km on this weekend by riding Barnstaple to Plymouth, via Tavistock. Weather dependent - I'm not going to bother if it rains...

Anyone read that report, by a neurosurgeon I think, claiming that helmets are a waste of time ? Obviously the bloke is far more intelligent than I am but I'm not at all sure about this. If you are hit by a vehicle .... then may be ; but if you have a 'minor' crash and your head hits the floor, I would have thought a helmet helps. Any opinions ?

Speaking from first hand experience a helmet potentially prevented serious brain injury when I came off at Cannock. Crack in the helmet that could have been my head. Also separated my shoulder that is still farked 2 years and 3 ops later :(

I like climbing too but at 185lbs I'm never gonna fly up them.

My friend had done Marmotte so not sure if he will want to that or Etape.

LBL is lots of climbing but not sure of it it's cobbles or not. Nice early season warm-up.

I had a section of uphill cobbles on Sunday, it made me smile, but hard work on a time trial bike with disc and deep section front.

I am sure Miguel Indurain weighed that much and he did ok going up the climbs, or maybe something in those drink bottles.

LBL is not a cobbled classic as far as I remember. What it is famed for is hills at the back end of 250+KM. Its brutal. 

Years ago, the whole 'cycling causes impotence' thing was an excuse not to get back into it so I never have. Now that's debunked I was going to pick up a nice bike and really get into it to see how fast I can get next year. Then they decide it is linked to a potential greater risk of prostate cancer. Any thoughts on that?

Edited by darrenm

Years ago, the whole 'cycling causes impotence' thing was an excuse not to get back into it so I never have. Now that's debunked I was going to pick up a nice bike and really get into it to see how fast I can get next year. Then they decide it is linked to a potential greater risk of prostate cancer. Any thoughts on that?

Reading the article it still seems unlikely it causes this issue as the numbers were small and nowhere conclusive.

Also from a training point of view cycling helps running and vice-versa. :D

824Km sounds quite a distance - how long is that over?

I'm currently in "recovery" and no running or cycling until the weekend and even then everything will be light for another couple of weeks.Im told if I rush back to quickly I will get injured and performance will be poor anyway. I was knackered walking up a hill on saturday and doing one lap swim of a 750m swim felt like a real effort.

My last ride was this one - http://www.strava.com/activities/163973650 - its slighlty incomplete (by about 7K) as I forgot to turn on my computer earlier on (or at any point in Germany) so had to find satellites while I was going. I was a bit under-powered really and didnt pace it fantastically well as I felt the need to attack every hill (as it tended to be where there were lots of spectators and I like to show off). Was seriously hot too - got well into the 30s and I was cooking in my aero helmet, drank approx 9 1/2 litres and didnt need to stop for a wee.

• Like 1

Â