Cycling: General Chat

MMFy

Anyone read that report, by a neurosurgeon I think, claiming that helmets are a waste of time ? Obviously the bloke is far more intelligent than I am but I'm not at all sure about this. If you are hit by a vehicle .... then may be ; but if you have a 'minor' crash and your head hits the floor, I would have thought a helmet helps. Any opinions ?

Anyone read that report, by a neurosurgeon I think, claiming that helmets are a waste of time ? Obviously the bloke is far more intelligent than I am but I'm not at all sure about this. If you are hit by a vehicle .... then may be ; but if you have a 'minor' crash and your head hits the floor, I would have thought a helmet helps. Any opinions ?

I have never used a helmet and dont think i ever will..

Personally I think what he is saying is at best dumb and at worst dangerous as some people may actually listen to this shit. I have seen people come off and trash their helmets and cant believe the same damage wouldnt have happened to their heads.

Having seen people get hit by cars, come off bikes and  personally coming off myself a few times I nowadays would never consider not wearing a helmet, I have too much respect for my family who rely on me to provide for them not to.

I ride with a helmet on the road, but rarely bother if I'm riding cycle trails (paved). As already said, if you get hit by a car, any protection must surely be better than none. I always wear a helmet snowboarding as well, despite people thinking snow is soft and harmless, there's a large number of head injuries sustained, and I do not want to become part of that statistic.

On a more cheery note, I did my first sportive yesterday. Only a 50-miler (my usual weekend rides are now around 60-70 miles) but it had some ridiculous climbs. Over 1800m in total. I can barely feel my legs this morning!

I have fell of my bike (wet road markings) and knocked myself clean out and that was with a helmet on. The helmet hit the road, I had a pressure mark on my head where the helmet had spread the impact over a larger area, the helmet was damaged (compressed the foam).

Without the helmet I doubt i would be here or if i was I would be damaged goods.

Looks like 105 as well, excellent choice Sir!

It's a cannondale caad8 105, pure joy to ride it..
Riding a CAADX 105 myself, I can only imagine!

So I got my bike back after di2 install yesterday and took it for my first TT in nearly a year this evening, sadly I wasnt the Time Trial god I wanted to be, but love the new setup, just needs to have rear brakes loosened a little as my rear disc is slightly out of true so rubs and lower myself on the front a bit more.

shiv.jpg

Edited by andyjsg

What do you guys eat and drink when you go on long rides ? i did 60 miles on sunday and i got very dizzy after a while even though i drank alot of water...do you have some advice on what to eat and drink when you go on long rides ?

I still dont feel 100%

Here’s the rules 1g per kg of weight of carbohydrate, and 600-750ml of liquid per hour (also changes depending on the heat); weigh yourself before and after to see what happens. Make sure the liquid contains some salts. Also make sure that within 20 minutes of finishing exercise you have started refuelling both with carbs and protein. Recovery is essential.

• Like 1

Cider is my fuel. Got a 60-Miller planned for this Saturday (Barnstaple to Teignmouth) and the destination will be The Ship, a nice pub on the harbour...

• Like 1

Â